Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Vinyl wrapping...

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JPB 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a foot roll of Oracal 751 gloss black vinyl for the bike… I thought while the bike is down and I was going to repaint the bike gloss black, I might as well vinyl wrap it as I foresee it being dropped a time or two…

First take I went at the windshield. Failed.
Second take I went at the windshield again, tried a different but suggested method. Failed.
Third take I went at the windshield yet again, a whole different approach, success*
*Two wrinkles about half an inch long. Not complaining for now.
Fourth take I went at the right side upper fairing. It has more complex curves due to the scoop and a couple 90* bends. It was going GREAT (no bubbles, no wrinkles no tears) until it came time for the deepest curve in the scoop. Too much heat and it peeled itself open due to how tight it was pulling itself (my assumption)

SO, that being said, what tips do any of you with vinyl experience, have?

I am using a small spray bottle with 2 drops of baby shampoo, a click on click off heat torch, a felt squeegee, a rubber squeegee and I use a fresh chunk of my razorblade that you can break off to fresh razor ever ¼ inch…

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just looked at doing all my fairings in vinyl wrap. The cost I was quoted was $1900.00. I can't believe it was that much. Needless to say; I'm not wrapping the bike. I can buy real carbon fiber less than that. Plus, they told me it can tear; so if you drop it you still can tear it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.