Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Show us your Chicken Strips

276K views 3K replies 241 participants last post by  Smitty965 
#1 ·
Hey guys, post pix of your chicken strips....:rock

#1,881 ·
I have a very good idea on what the problem is/was....but I'm willing to bet you didnt check tire pressure once you came back in the pits...or did u? :D

#1,888 ·
The gain of tire pressure 5-7psi from cold to off the track is from racing skills with tires. The other option is measuring tire temperature and if you try this gain and check tire temperature you can see that is good starting point and your tire can go to 100% but when the suspension is incorrect tire can be stressed and dont get his job too 100%

The tears on pic of the front tire are tipical for the geometry tear - so i say that the front tire have too much weight on it

Hot and cold tears are different

First buy accurate tire pressure gauge.
Second set cold pressures that i send you.
Third set the sag.

After this go on track and post pic of tires.

#1,890 ·
Kind of doubt that this is a geometry tear, the front tire was underinflated by four pounds. That's going to make a mess out of any tire ridden at a decent pace. My geometry and sag were set by one shop and verified by another, and the bike handles very well.

The tire pressure recommendation I'd be given was incorrect, and the tire melted. Not a big deal since front tires are cheap and this one had three days on it already. I'm looking at it as another lesson in tire wear, this time its "verify the ideal pressure, consider the source."

I understand why Marcelo was asking about off-track pressures, because my front tire should have had a massive gain in pressure after being overheated. If I had someone sitting on the wall with a gauge, then I'd have some relevant information on that. The pavement was cold and there was a very strong wind blowing, the tires had cooled off by the time I put the bike on the rear stand.

I had already discussed what happened to the front tire with a Pirelli guru before I even packed my stuff up that day, he knew right away that the tire was underinflated. I posted this fouled up front tire pic on here just to stir things up a little bit. This thread has not had much activity in the past few months, I don't want to see it die.

The rear tire got tore up because I was a little too throttle-happy on cold tires. The tearing had mostly cleaned up after 20 laps, but the damage was already done and the tire has been replaced. I probably could have squeezed one more day out of it but my next track event is a two day ordeal and I don't want to deal with getting tires swapped at the track. Plus, I'd rather ride on fresh rubber.

Attachments

#1,895 ·
I don't know why I thought you weren't racing this season, but I just figured out that we both ran unlimited superbike on Saturday. You got 6th and I placed 9th. It was actually my first CCS race ever.

I was on a black and white ZX10, #888 and I was wearing a green Alpinestars hat all weekend. You going to Summit next month?

#1,897 ·
Let me know if and when you run Summit...I am only 1.5 hours away.....so it would be fun to hang out and help out on the crew if you need....

#1,898 ·
Of course bud. I have a friend whos definetely going so its a possibility

#1,899 · (Edited)
Grr....I just checked the schedule....I may be at NCBike that weekend....we will see.....:dunno yet....The June 25-26 weekend I will be around....

#1,901 ·
After my first day at a track. I know, not as cool as yalls, but I'll get there.

Attachments

#1,912 ·
Why do you think that?

R1DSR and thejman, those look pretty good to my untrained eye.....those strips are mainly where you are getting on the gas coming off the corner. Under street riding, for example the whole tire carcass is not that hot, then when you get on the gas, that spot heats up suddenly and can show tares like it is. I would say that in your case like R1DSR at your pace, it is just a heat in the tire issue versus how much grip you are asking for issue. The suspension looks ok from the looks of the rest of the tire.....

Dan and Marcelo can grade me....
Good reading from what I see. Little concern for the geometry on Thejman1000 tires, but need more info.

#1,907 ·
R1DSR and thejman, those look pretty good to my untrained eye.....those strips are mainly where you are getting on the gas coming off the corner. Under street riding, for example the whole tire carcass is not that hot, then when you get on the gas, that spot heats up suddenly and can show tares like it is. I would say that in your case like R1DSR at your pace, it is just a heat in the tire issue versus how much grip you are asking for issue. The suspension looks ok from the looks of the rest of the tire.....

Dan and Marcelo can grade me....

#1,909 ·
:no...:no....:no....Who will I turn to when I need help with my own annoying issues.....hahahaha....I know I need track tires...but still.....:lol

#1,916 ·
I would say start with bike year, make, model, tire pressures, ambient temps for the ride, sag numbers, rider weight, stock or aftermarket suspension, and last suspension service?

#1,922 ·
Ok let's keep the treat alive. Anyone care to comment on my tires?

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

#1,923 ·
Ok let's keep the treat alive. Anyone care to comment on my tires?

View attachment 859650
They are round; blackish; look kinda fuzzy :dunno

Actually, I do see something we may want to address, but don't want to spoil it for others. We do need to talk when you get a few moments though.

#1,924 ·
Yeah i saw it myself. I'm taking them off this weekend to install the Michelins. Should we make changes right now or wait until i get a run on them first?

#1,929 ·
I'd say before you run it again. We need to know.

Sooo.....I I had a tire that looked like that I would be a very happy camper.....but....I would say that the leading edge of the edge most sipe is depressed, and the trailing edge is just a tick pulled up.....Also there looks to be a temperature difference between the edge of the tire and the middle of the tire, because the rubber is pulled up differently.

How to change any of the above....:dunno.....because it is so close.....
There is where it starts to become fun. And even more important to only make one change at a time. The exception to the 1 adjustment rule is generally checking the rebound. Always check the rebound after any adjustment. But in that one subtle adjustment you will find that you've changed a couple of the other suspension factors slightly as well. And you'll need to burn that bridge when you get to it. It really becomes a question of pilot impression and feedback. Marcelo and I discussed a few things, and one of us was able to take an educated guess at what may have caused what I saw. So with that info, he'll make his one change (and check the rebound) and run it.

#1,925 ·
Sooo.....I I had a tire that looked like that I would be a very happy camper.....but....I would say that the leading edge of the edge most sipe is depressed, and the trailing edge is just a tick pulled up.....Also there looks to be a temperature difference between the edge of the tire and the middle of the tire, because the rubber is pulled up differently.

How to change any of the above....:dunno.....because it is so close.....

#1,931 ·
Rebound did get affected, but not the source. Tire was maybe .5psi to what it should had been, so not much. Any other guesses before i say it?

You don't think it's a cold tear? There's a groove there that parts of the tire is indented
Do you mean on my tire? If so i dont follow where the tear is exactly?