Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Flashtune reflash 07-08 R1

25K views 171 replies 34 participants last post by  IMSTuner 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hope i am posting in the right spot. I know there has been a lot of talk about reflashing ecus.... I have searched over and over to see if any one has tried Flash-tune formerly known as gixxertune.com

I purchased their exchange service where they send you a reflashed ecu and you send your factory ecu to them. The cost to reflash is about 150 everything totaled about 406 and they are susposed to credit me 250 when they recieve my stock ecu

After installing the reflashed ecu, there was a huge difference. Bike ran an operated smoother. It was more responsive as well and I notice less engine braking when getting of the gas, which I have to get used too. I even had them bump up the idle to 1500rpm

Not sure how Flash Tune compares to some of the other companies like Jet or DP tune but for price it was worth having the Factory restrictions removed!!

They also installed a custom map I had, but i think i will still have it re-dynoed since the butter flys seem to open 100% now..

And after having raced my GF who is heavy handed on her 09 zx10 she was surprised too at what a difference the reflash made. Bike pulls all the way to Redline and is by far more responsive then stock.

See less See more
#4 ·
Did a little research on their site (slowest site in the world).
Looks like good products, they just introduced the flash for the r1 recently.. and 150 is a good price. They have the tuning cable available for the r6 which would allow you to flash multiple ecu's. If that's the case I'd love to have one for the r1 ecu's ;)

#9 ·
According the the website low and high load fuel maps are adjustable, ignition maps are adustable, YCCT adjustable and fan temp. I did email for more details, there are two fuel maps for the R1, one of MAP vs. RPM and one of TPS vs. RPM, each per cylinder. There is also one ignition map for each gear. The software is apparently still getting updated. They expect rev limit adjustment in about two weeks. I went ahead and ordered it. I'll give detailed feedback once I get it.

#10 ·
On the Flash-Tune website, under General Support, they have a paragraph saying that they: "import custom Power Commander .djm formatted maps into the ecu".

This implies to me that fueling and ignition tables "could" just be downloaded from Dynojet and flashed straight to the ecu. :dunno

In my opinion, any reflash is better than a standard ecu for sure.

In the ecu reflash world, these kind of flashes are relatively easy. Unfortunatly, most of the safety sub-routines are left in place, as a result, the riders wrist requests are still over-ridden by the ecu and full performance of the engine is never realized.

These 07/08 and 09/11 ecus are very complex and have taken over rider throttle input and the ecu "decides" whether to give, or not to give.
On the older R1s, the rider had much more control over the ecu compared to now.

#14 ·
They flashed my 09 R1 and it runs great now. The cable should be coming out for 09-11 really soon. I will be getting that. They are offering 10% off for forum members. the code is EFJ124680 , They write their own code, not just copy files into the ecu

#21 ·
:sneaky

#26 ·
try flash-tuning.com they in Cali..

#30 ·
what is it stock 1,000 idle?

#34 · (Edited)
Yes the $150 flashtune is the way to go....low/ mid/ high what a diffrence...take it to red line :scared ..wow. I did like the no engine braking feature...great for canyon riding. I did ask for stock idle 1,200 rpm and thats how it ran in my garage on the rear stand warming up. The sticker says 1,200 idle on the ecu...but after thirty mile ride the idle rpm was around 1,600+....i called flashtune and they said send the ecu back to re flash.But i will ride more before i decide. Also they said leave the 02 sensor connected for street bikes. You do not need the power commander...Best mod ever for the 07/08s
And thanks Stealth oNe for posting the code

#35 ·
Also they said leave the 02 sensor connected for street bikes. You do not need the power commander...Best mod ever for the 07/08s
And thanks Stealth oNe for posting the code
Do they flash for a bike without the o2 sensor ?

I want the idle at 1100 as well..

Still deciding and reading about this flash.

#37 ·
Flash Tune

Sorry the posts were in the performance mods section. My 09 R1 was don by them and I am extremely happy and here are a few more. You will not find one unhappy customer with this done. they stand behind their work.

Recently got the flash tune done on my 2007 R1. It was a very quick turn around too from the time I sent my ECU off to the time I got it back. I am impressed with the flash tune's performance so far. Seat of the pants feels that there seems to be a horsepower and torque increase across the board. Hard acceleration is definitely better, comes on fast, compared to stock. Low end seems to be improved as well, just when poking around in stop and go traffic around town. So for $150 I think its money well spent. Should get you 90% of the way to a perfect tune. If they expand the software capabilities of the flash interface I'll probably pick up one of those in the future. Got the tune from the website below.

http://www.flash-tune.com/
I took the PC3 off. I could have just zeroed it out, but wanted to do one thing at a time if I had to troubleshoot something with the ECU install.

The interface is an setup that Flash Tune offers so you can alter the values in the ECU using your laptop. They have a demo on their website.

#40 ·
the interface is the way to go i must have flash mine 10 times already to set engine braking the way i like and then i upgraded my exhaust so i change the map for that. also they upgrading the software they just added more options for the fan temps you can set them lower now too. great product just waiting for the idle adjustment. love it

#41 ·
Hey guys, sorry I've been away for a while. Sounds like flyin.lizard is pretty excited! I just PM you bud.

Yeah, the Flash Tune interface is the shiznit!!! I must have reflashed mine 20 times now! The guy that came up with this product is super nice, and really knowledgeable. He just upgraded the software a few days ago. He has updated the off throttle characteristics, so be careful. He has also updated the fan kick on temps so that we now have drop down box options. Also has included U.S. spec wiring harness option.

You will get an optimal stock bike performance out of this, but not as much as a change in gearing, or an exhaust system.

I'm gonna attach some notes I recently made for a friend on how to upgrade his 08 R1 for on the cheap DIY style!

#42 ·
Hello Steve!

Funny you messaged me about this. I actually just typed notes for a buddy on how to make an 07-08 R1 keep up with a fully modded 09 or newer R1, for half the price!

Ok, well, let's pick your ride apart bit by bit. First of all, if you look at the dyno charts and torque charts of the 07-08 vs 09-12 R1s, they are suprisingly similar. So, if this is the case, why does the 09-12 feel so much more responsive in lower RPMs? I'm not 100% positive about this, but, from what I believe that I have read is that the newer R1s get that sensation from a larger rear sprocket, or more teeth. This change in gearing is the #1 thing that people notice when jumping from 07-08 to newer R1s. It’s not all due to the engine.

Your buddy has a full-system exhaust, Air/Fuel is tuned in via PCV, and his bike is un-restricted via the Jett-Flash. Um…that will also have a tremendous impact on how a bike feels. So, if your bike is bone-stock, it is really restricted.

Sorry for the bearer of bad news, but NO ECU reflash will make your bike feel like his. But, read on… I got good news, followed by GREAT NEWS!

So, if you want my opinion on the cheapest way to make your bike feel like your buddies 09, follow these simple mods.

If you want a very similar feel to your bike only, simply change your sprockets. -1 in the front will make a noticeable difference, or +3 in the back, or a combination. This will affect your speedometer, and a speedohealer is needed for proper adjustment. Check the Forum for advice on the best sprocket choice. I just found a website that may help you though, do a google search for gearcommander, or something like that. It will show you the changes from front to rear and all sorts of other info. You can do some research on the stock 09 R1s and their gearing and just match it if you would like, or actually count your buddies front teeth and rear teeth-on his sprockets not in his mouth! Gearing alone is the single biggest seat of your pants game changer, and also the cheapest in the long run. Maybe $200. Your bike will now feel like his, but in an all out drag race to 180 MPH, he will beat you, but around town, probably feel the same. It’s not all about engine mods for sensation.

So, your buddy has lower gearing, AND has updated his power via tuned full system exhaust, AND has his ECU unlocked, so I got more for you. Read on to almost or even match your buddy for super duper cheep. Then you can laugh at him when he has spent over $2K in mods, and we will get you there in under a grand, or even closer to $650! Note: typically, a full system exhaust will have slightly less HP/Trq in low RPMs, but a couple more ponies at the top of the RPMs. The stock header with EXUP valve will be the best for street riders because it will maintain low HP/Tq and only give up a couple of ponies up top!

1) Get your ECU unlocked however you want. Jett, ECUnleashed, Garage Endeavors, Flash-Tune all unlock your ECU. My recommendation is to get the Flash-Tune tuning interface option. That way you can make multiple changes to your ECU anytime you want, as many times as you want. The unrestricting of the ECU will allow you to get 100% of what your stock set-up will allow, vs the stock ECU has some restrictions on timing, throttle opening, etc. Simple reflash from Flash Tune, $150?, up to interface for $350? Up to you. I fully recommend the Flash Tune interface though. It is the single best R1 owner investment IMO.

2) Get a set of slip-ons, or for about $100, get a A&R racing baffle kit. This is a DIY kit that allows the rider to use their stock exhaust cans, gut them, and remake them essentially into a set of slip-ons for super cheap! Dyno testing has confirmed that they make very similar HP/Trq gains. DIY A&R race baffle kit is around $100, slip ons up to a grand. Big HP/Trq gains from 3,200 RPM to about 5K, then about 2-4 throughout the rest of the RPM range.

3) Gut the cats. Either buy a Y pipe or DIY. There is a thread on gutting the cat on this forum. It may or may not make more HP, but since you are doing the mufflers, do this at the same time. This will all but eliminate the cooked thigh syndrome. Our bikes have 2 cats in the y pipe, and those things get HOT for them to do their job. They are somewhat restrictive however to exhaust flow. DIY cat gutting, $0 if you have the tools, a shop will do it for $75, or buy a y pipe for $250.

-- Understand that once you start changing the factory exhaust, the factory tuning is now being changed, (air flow, etc). More airflow is better, but our EXUP is tuned to work with stock restrictions (stock muffler, stock cats, etc). So, do too many changes on the stock exhaust, and things start changing for the worse with your engines performance. At this point, I’m suggesting keeping the stock headers and the EXUP valve in place, but removing the 2 cats and doing the race baffles.

4) You must change the Air/Fuel now due to the free’er flowing exhaust. You can easily do this via the Flash-Tune interface. I would start with any slip on map, see how your bike run. Then try a slip on with a y pipe map, check the performance, then finally load a full exhaust system map and see how the bike runs. It should run best with the slip on plus y pipe map. Price is $0 if you have the interface.

If you follow these steps, your R1 will fly buddy! Remember, gearing alone will make the bike much more responsive. 07-08 R1s have a loooong first gear, and these suggested sprocket changes will really make your bike responsive. It might be all that you need/want! But, for a little bit of DIY, and some chump change, you can make your R1 breath blue flames and you will be able to keep up with your buddy!

Full DIY, no PCV or Auto Tune: Sprockets $200, Flash Tune interface $350, DIY race baffles $100, gut the cat $0, TOTAL: $650

*You don’t need to remove the AIS for this set-up, but the bike will backfire on decel.
**Graves recommends keeping the factory air filter also. The other filters didn’t provide much if any improvement-but did allow more dirt into the engine, and we know more dirt = faster wear on engine.

#79 ·
Did you see that Flash Tune is working on incorporating the QS directly into the ECU! They are working on the software now, and working on a QS package with the signal module and wiring. I'm going to install the PCV and autotune, get the optimized A/F maps at high temps of 60*, 80*, and 100*, save them on my laptop, then flash the correct map into my ECU now that it works with PCV maps. Flash Tune told me that if we do this, that the ram air compensation will work great. Then, I'm gonna sell the PCV and AutoTune to my buddy for a little discount, and let him keep it. No extra piggybacks on my bike, just my tuned ECU!

#44 ·
Great feedback guys!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.