Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Overheating/HIGH Idle!

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  martinc 
#1 ·
Before anyone jumps all over me. I DID A SEARCH!

K, now. My bike has been overheating bad... And idle is insane...

When I start it, it idles normal for a sec or two then jumps up to like 3k-4k. After I ride for a bit (maybe less than a mile) idle drops to normal...

Even if I ride around the block the temp jumps up like crazy. Coolant starts to pour out of the overflow...

The only thread I found that was somewhat related, someone mentioned a stuck temp sensor? But then no one replied so there was no answer. Could that be the problem? How do I check it?

I am planning on flushing my radiator and putting in all new coolant. What do I do about the idle? Does anyone think they are related? I would imagine so... Any help!? Thanks guys! :dunno

#6 ·
Oil is about 100 miles old. But the bike was doing it BEFORE I changed the oil. Coolant may be original. I bought the bike at the begining of this season. I bought all new coolant just haven't had the time to flush and change it yet.

Performance mods all I have is a slip on. Throttle bodies as far as I know have never been synched... I also just swiched to Mobil 1 synthetic. But as I said the bike was doing it before the oil change.

Im lost... Thanks guys for the help!

#12 ·
My bike is stuck at 3k rpm until the fans kick in or about 220 degrees then it goes back to normal. Where is the temp sensor and could it be this. I did change the complete header but never ran the bike before so I dont know if it was doing this before header swap. ANy ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.