Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Airshifter

6K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  1longR1 
#1 ·
which air shifter should I go with?

I've seen Pingel, MPS, Orient Express...
Anyone have any input? Im ready to buy, and I need to know what you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
yeah im going with MPS

#7 ·
yeah im going with a MPS electric air shifter, since im going all out ive got to wait alittle bit longer

#8 · (Edited)
#10 ·
yeah im looking at one thru mps with chipset already with it....i kind of want to go full auto but i feel like it may ruin the fun with doing runs and all i have to do is turn the throttle :riding

#12 ·
thats exactly what im going to do, i got a quote for the whole setup, chipset,compressor,everything for 450

#14 ·
what year R1 are you asking?

#19 ·
nice set up man, im pretty new at the air shifters, whats the black box for? and nos instead of air? whats the reason for nos over air? can you use the same bottle? actually my arm has the inlets for the air...anyways. tell me more tell me more !!

#20 ·
Black box is the solenoid that allows the pressure to run through the ram.

I have a 2.5lb nitrous bottle on the bike already and I didnt want to run co2 or air.. just use the same nitrous bottle since it's regulated down to 150psi at the blue pressure adapter.

It's uses almost no nitrous to shift, and keeps the setup simple.

#21 ·
ill keep that in mind, whats the low pressure adapter for? im assuming to regulate the PSi?

#22 ·
Nitrous is 900-1000psi, the air shifter solenoid needs to be 150 or lower. The regulator steps it down to ~150psi.

I use a 2 outlet "gauge manifold" off the nitrous bottle. One outlet is a 4an feed to my nitrous solenoid. The other is a 3an feed to the low pressure regulator for the shifter.

#23 ·
Juissed ftw, thanks for the info and pictures!

Using nitrous seems like a good idea as I already have a 2.5 bottle on my bike too.

Are you using the horn for the air shifter or for the spray? Thinking back I think you were using the hub to spray once certain conditions are met but curious on how you have the controlls set up. I'm currently using my horn to spray but was thinking get a button mounted below the horn to use the air shifter to get into 2nd then just use the horn to spray in 2nd and just use my foot/quick shifter to shift into 3rd and 4th. Think that would work ok?

#24 ·
pc3 hub + horn + nos mini

75% -> 100% ramp over 0.6 seconds when horn + 100% throttle

Airshifter is on starter button. Each have a toggle to flip from regular function to spray/shift.

I'll see if I can dig up my wiring schematic.

#29 ·
nice, been looking for the grainger PNs for the shift cylinder for a while.

it's all the same parts.. kill fuel however you want (PC3 is easiest-- using the pins from the quickshifter style plug & adjustable shift kill delay)

#31 ·
Anyone try the Pingel solenoid electric shifter ? I have heard of the n2o freezing the shift cyl. and causing it to not shift,anyone have these troubles ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.