Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why countersteer?????

158K views 1K replies 190 participants last post by  MaRce1o 
#1 ·
I know this is a question for the Superbike School and if I ever get my copy of Twist of the Wrist 2 I know I'll find out more but I wanted to get your feedback.

What is countersteer? Same as with a car to keep from losing the rear end? When is it necessary cuz I know I'm not intentionally doing it? Or maybe I am and just don't know it.

My canyon carving is really improving and every opportunity I get I try to drag a knee. But I'm not sure what countersteer is for........on a bike that is.

Thanks for the help,

JG

#1,030 ·
If the bike is swerving while in the corner or when turning in you may also have suspension setup issues...as all the guys here have stated the cornering process should be relatively effortless and things tend to happen naturally when the bike responds as it should. Just a thought..

#1,035 ·
A common mistake many make when applying CS is the way they do it. If your arms are straight and on top of the bars the amount of force you are applying will not be directly to steering. It's like the force is being applied to the top of the bars not to the sides. I don't know how to explain this, can anyone do a better job explaining?

#1,038 ·
Hi sorry to restart an old thread but I am still not clear on countersteering.

Is it a momentary push or a continuous one.

My bike only seems to drift to the side if I push continuously but a quick push leans the bike quicker but not as far.

Someone really needs to explain how to do this properly, if I need to get to full lean quickly how does the pressure differ in duration and force as opposed to leaning over slowly.

How do you increase lean angle, is holding pressure for longer the answer or a quicker harder initial press?

I think people understand the concept of countersteering but no one can really explain how to apply it properly?

Push left go left push right go right is too basic for meaning ful instruction?

Keith Codes video shows the bars moving opposite the direction of lean but there is no indication of the bikes speed in the video.

My bars move at 20 - 30 mph but above that I barely see them moving at all, is this because of the greater speed or because I am not pushing hard enough. Do the bars move say at speeds of 60 plus mph?

Even the Twist II video does not explain the relationship between speed, handlebar angle and bar pressure and gives the impression that at all speeds the bars need to turn in the opposite direction to initate the lean.

Initiate the lean is also confusing as well. When I push on the bars the lean starts, it does not continue though if the bar pressure is released, so in my mind bar pressure dosn`t initiate the lean it increases it while the pressure is held continuously but if you hold the same pressure the bike only leans so far. I think you have to continue adding pressure to increase lean angle?

Can anyone explain the application of countersteering clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.