Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Ironhorz's 05 Build

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Ironhorz 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I see a lot of the other build threads and I thought it would be a good idea to start documenting my progress.

I bought my 05 R1 used a little over a year ago in less than desirable shape. Mechanically, it ran just fine, but needed a lot of TLC to get it to where I wanted it. Well, a year later and quite a bit of cash in other peoples hands and I'm happy with the direction the build is headed.

Unfortunatley, I was ashamed of what the bike originally looked like and didn't take any pictures... Looking back, that was a big mistake because I'm proud of the progress I've made so far! :flex:

The following has been installed since I got it:

-new tires
-all plastic accept for tail and nose replaced with good shape second hand parts
-Spiegler front/rear lines w/ new pads
-Stealth 520 kit w/EK MVXZ chain
-Wrenthal grips
-ASV levers
-Driven bar ends
-Harris sliders

Well, these last few months have been good and I've picked up the following:

-Vortex rearsets w/ brake switch (installed)
-Vortex gas cap (installed)
-BMC air filter (installed)
-Gilles chain adjusters (installed)
-Giles tooling lifters (installed)
-Woodcraft left/right case covers (installed)
-Carbon fiber clutch toe guard (installed)
-Zero gravity double bubble wind screen (installed)
-Ohlins R&T forks
-Brembo master cylinder
-Brembo reservoir mounting kit
-Brembo Monobloc calipers
-Braking rotors
-Pit Bull rear stand

Still have plans for the following:

-Attack triple tree
-Gilles GP Light clipons
-Ohlins steering damper
-Ohlins rear shock
-New mounting screws for rotors and calipers. (Guam is an extremely corrosive environment so one way or another all of the screws will eventually get replaced with aluminum, stainless, or Ti--not sure which/where...I like the look of Ti, but damn is it expensive!)
-Akrapovic or Graves full system. (I'm REALLY torn here, I've been in love with Akrapovic from day one, but I see that Graves makes an OUTSTANDING product as well.)
-Powercommander
-Velocity Stacks
-Smog block off plates
-Samco hose kit
-Samco hose clamp kit
-PVM 7 aluminum wheels (Those wheels Burn-Z has are the hotness! I know BSTs are supposed to be the best, but I prefer the look of the PVMs myself.)
-Aftermarket aluminum radiator
-Some minor motor work
-whatever else makes it on the bike between now and then...

I've always preferred the 07-08 tails to the 04-06 so I'll do one of the conversions there as well. (really love the way kangaroo's bike turned out!)

I need to do a much better job with keeping a digital history of the changes the bike has gone through...

I have a few pictures right now I just took, but it's night time here and they came out bad. I'll make sure to get out in the nice weather and get some good ones once I get stuff installed:

This..

Plus this...

Plus this...

And this... (I don't know if this is the exact model of caliber, just know I just picked up a set of monoblocs)
Equal this... :boobies:lhumper::fact

4 DEC 2011: UPDATED WITH PICS

Here are a few updated pics guys. Can't seem to find my camera, think the wife took it out of town with her, so these are from the iPhone. I'll continue to post updates as I install the nice parts.

Yes, I know there are some big chicken strips on there. I'm not gonna lie, it's a combo of the shitty roads/TERRIBLE drivers here and the fact that I haven't sacked up and pushed it that much further yet. I'll get there, just not yet... LOL :bash

the rust on my front rotor bolts is representative of what Guam does to metal...:no I've replaced a fair amount of stuff so far, just need to continue until I get all of the bolts and whatnot replaced with OEM, stainless, or Ti.

I also plan on the following once I get back to the states:

-respray (not sure if I'll stay blue, or do a color change.)
-powdercoat rear passenger pegs (the kids still like to go for a spin with Dad from time to time. :))
-I need to tear it back down because I'm still having problems with the connections in my harness for the lights/dash. Seem to come in and out... I know what connection it is, just don't know if it would be better to try and repair it, or buy a new harness.

Thanks for looking guys! :thumb up

14 DEC 2011: UPDATED WITH PICS

Well, a few weeks ago I made the mistake of browsing the for sale section when I wasn't in the market for anything. Fortunately for me, I ran across a deal that was to good to pass up so I jumped on it. Fast forward to today, and I get a package in the mail. I was a bit confused at first, but when I realized what it was I was very excited to see what was inside.

Oooohhhh so nice.... Couldn't wait to open it up and see what was waiting inside for me! :jump

I seriously had a moment where I just stared in awe. Might not be as nice as some of the ones you guys have, but I am so happy and excited to get them installed! :lhumper:

Unfortunately for me, I'm going to have to wait until late Feb/Early March to get these installed because I'm getting ready to PCS (military move) back to the states and won't have enough time between now and early Jan when the house gets packed to pick up a set of triple clamps and install everything. :2bitchsla

I also wanted to send a sincere thank you to SAB, kangaroo, clarkLER1, and anyone else who I've purchased parts from that taken care of me since I've been a part of the boards. You guys are all top notch and I appreciate your attention to detail in packing, honesty, and great communication! :thumbup :bow

See less See more
#5 ·
Wikkid mon! I'm looking forward to the pics. :thumbup

#8 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys, I do appreciate it. It's very nice to receive encouragement from the very people you spend hours looking at/reading about their bikes & mods. :bow

I'll continue to update the post as I receive and install parts. Next big update should be the front end: forks, brembo master cylinder & calipers, and front/rear rotors. Any suggestions on the hardware for mounting the rotors: OEM, stainless, ti, etc... :boobies

#15 ·
Check out Mettec as well Shawn. They outfitted every bolt on Josh Hayes' R1. I have some of their parts and they are extremely nice...sometimes cheaper than pro-bolt too. :thumbup

PS - Your calipers are on the way ;)

#16 ·
Will do brotha, thanks for the info on that!

Just sent the difference for shipping a few minutes ago, you should have it by now. :fact

#19 ·
I bet man, but something tells me you've got something a little better in store. :flex:

As for shoes, yeah. I saw the box and was like WTF is this?? :crash LOL It honestly took me a minute to realize what it was... :hammer:

Thanks for the hook up again brotha, and I'm looking forward to getting back to the states and settled in. :thumbup

#20 ·
:lol After I sent them I was thinking "Shyte...I just sent a sneaker box to Guam....That's not the brightest idea I've had this month".

Glad it all got there safe though. :thumbup

#21 ·
LOL.. Yeah man, when the USPS lady brought the box out from the back my smile went to a look of confusion. I couldn't figure who sent me a pair of shoes, and why. Took me a second to find the name and realize it was what I was eagerly waiting on. :fact :hammer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.