Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Ironhorz's 12 50th GP Anniversary Build

96K views 508 replies 75 participants last post by  Ironhorz 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, this story starts the same way Redgecko's did when he bought his 50th accept I went into the shop to pick up a lettering kit to update the registration on my boat so we could put it in the water...

Long story short, I'm talking to the salesman who helped me out with my sticker kit and bikes come up. I look to my left and see a anniversary edition R6, commented how nice it was, and jokingly told him I'd be in trouble if you had an anniversary edition R1 in here. Well, on the way out the door, I looked to the left again and see this:

So I did one of these :bow:scared , told him I HAD to leave, and then ran for the door; it was to late...the seed was already planted. I could NOT stop thinking about the bike all weekend long, and ended up going back to the shop the following Wednesday and put a deposit down. I did some more thinking and decided it was time to go in and pick it up.

I must say I feel very fortunate to be in the position to pick one of these up and put it in the garage. Here's a few picks I've got:

I still haven't had the chance to install the parts I have listed in this thread I originally bought for the 05, so I've decided to put them on my 12:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327871

Only problem I'm not sure what I'll do about is the fact the 12 has a speed sensor on the front wheel so I'm not sure how I'll mount the sensor to my new forks, anyone out there have any suggestions?

I've also ordered more stuff and am waiting on it to show:

- new hot bodies windscreen
- new integrated tail light (installed this morning)
- fender eliminator
- steel braided lines front & rear
- 15 tooth front sprocket (already have a 43 on the Carrozzeria V-Track wheels I bought from SSPilot and a new gold chain waiting to go on)
- flushmounts (am going to order a set of Watsens to replace the hot bodies I ordered)
- swingarm spools

*I'm going to order rear sets today, but I'm really stuck between Rizoma's, Vortex, and Gilles. Any suggestions? I put Vortex on my 05, and was happy with them, but would like something a little nicer as far as looks and design.

I still need to order quite a bit, but I think I'm off to a good start right now. :thumbup

- solo cowl
- exhaust
- levers
- lifters
- filter
- etc, etc, etc...

Thanks for looking guys!

UPDATE

FedEx showed up right as I was walking out, brought my fender eliminator, flush mounts, and spools:

UPDATE: 4 Aug 12

I'm still working on getting my hands on a good condition used Akrapovic exhaust, but in the mean time I've had a few additional goodies show up and get them put on:

Sato no-cut sliders

Lightech adjusters with Gilles ti axle nut :thumbup

Updated shots

I've only got about 400 miles on the bike so far, but have plans to get the following put on when I take it in for the 600 mile service:

- Carrozzeria wheels -- I've heard breaking loose the factory rotor nuts are a beotch :nforc: and I have to get the traction control sensor ring off of the factory wheel and install it on the new wheel.

- Brembo front master cylinder
- stell braided front/rear lines
- front 520 sprocket and new chain to match new rear sprocket
- clip ons -- might give this a shot myself, I'd imagine it's pretty easy and as simple as pulling the top triple off, and then removing/installing new ones...

Still waiting on/working on:
- waiting on my solo cowl from Yamaha Canada
- waiting for the word to send money for the Rizoma rearsets I'm picking up from burn-z. Soo stoked for these! :flex:

- sourcing 108mm caliper mounts for my Ohlins, as the set that came with it were 100mm -- I bought them used and the guy selling them opted for the 100mm setup for some "custom project" he was working on. :dunno
- harris perch/brembo clutch lever combo
* I know there's more I'm forgetting, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

I'd like to do most of this myself, but I don't have the right tools. Long term goal is to get a good set so I can pretty much all of the work. For now, I'll let the stealership take care of it for me.

Thanks again for looking! :thumbup

UPDATE: 11 Aug 12

Well, I had a few more goodies come in and just finished putting them on:

Akrapovic slip-ons:

M-4 mid pipe:

Harris cluth perch with Brembo lever:

I'm stoked with the way it's coming along so far. My wife keeps looking at me like I've got three heads everytime a package comes in, but it's all good... :hammer::flex:

I've got plans to get the following put on when I take it in for the 600 mile service. Yeah I know, I should've already had 600 mies on it, just haven't had a chance to ride much lately. :crash:

- Carrozzeria wheels -- I've heard breaking loose the factory rotor nuts are a beotch :nforc: and I have to get the traction control sensor ring off of the factory wheel and install it on the new wheel.
- Brembo front master cylinder
- Spiegler steel braided front/rear lines
- front 520 sprocket and new chain to match new rear sprocket
- clip ons -- was going to do this myself, but I don't have a socket/wrench big enough to do it so I'll either try to borrow one from a friend, or just have the stealership do it for me. :crash

Still waiting on/working on:

- waiting on my solo cowl from Yamaha Canada
- waiting for the word to send money for the Rizoma rearsets I'm picking up from burn-z. Soo stoked for these! :flex:
- sourcing 108mm caliper mounts for my Ohlins, as the set that came with it were 100mm -- think SSPilot has helped me source a set. :boobies
- sourcing Cox radiator guard
- sourcing ECUnleashed
- sourcing Graves velocity stacks
- sourcing Graves smog block off plates
- sourcing Graves clutch kit
- sourcing Woodcraft covers
- sourcing Harris flush fitting fuel cap
- sourcing Ohlins TTX rear shock
- sourcing various ti mounting hardware -- brakes, forks, etc...
- sourcing Samco hose kit with Samco clamps
- sourcing various various carbon fiber bits
- sourcing full size belly pan

* I know more I'm forgetting, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks again for looking! :thumbup

See less See more
Reactions: APO2112
#5 ·
#17 ·
Thank you much guys, I really appreciate it. :bow

That's what I'm leaning towards, but am not 100% sure. Just wondering if anyone had any input/suggestions on these, or another recommendation perhaps. :thumbup
I put Rizoma's on mine and they are very nice. I thought about switching to Attack since I have their triples. If they start production on them again soon I could make you a great deal on my Rizoma's.

#7 · (Edited)
It was to late...the seed was already planted. I could NOT stop thinking about the bike all weekend long
Brother, I know exactly how you felt. We were in Yuma on our way to Glamis last Thanksgiving. Stopped in at Liberty Motorsports to pick up some off road permits and BAM! There it was. OMG! It was amazing! I could NOT stop thinking about it. One month later I was driving one home! Awesome!

#8 ·
LOL... Hell's yeah, I like it! It's nice to know I'm not the only one around who suffers from the same problem. :hammer:

#12 ·
Thanks brotha! :thumbup

welcome to the crossplane crew. the sickness has hit us all and the crossplane is the cure hahaha
I like it, this is the nicest motor I've ever ridden on. LOVE the grunt down low :flex: , it's crazy how fast you're going when you actually look down at the gauges.

#16 ·
Thanks so much dude, that means a lot coming from one of the heavy hitters like yourself! :fact I can't wait to see what it looks like with your old wheels! :boobies

Big thing that's bumming me out is I'm not sure if the Ohlins I was going to put on my 05 will work on the new one because the 12's forks has a mounting point for the speed sensor...

Great pick up, love the story. That's how I get into trouble (see, sit, buy & improve = :boobies) I do really like the paint job but can't justify trading in the 09 for it when basically it's unchanged. Plus the fact an upgraded R1 must be in the wings with all these other manufacturers releasing great bikes. All the best with your build I am sure I will be watching :sneaky
LOL, thanks Knackers, I appreciate it brotha! I hear you, I don't think I would've traded another new generation for it either. I can't wait to keep adding stuff to this thing, I guess the biggest obstacles are $ and time. :crash

#15 ·
Great pick up, love the story. That's how I get into trouble (see, sit, buy & improve = :boobies) I do really like the paint job but can't justify trading in the 09 for it when basically it's unchanged. Plus the fact an upgraded R1 must be in the wings with all these other manufacturers releasing great bikes. All the best with your build I am sure I will be watching :sneaky

#31 · (Edited)
Steve, I started this thread as well and have got some good suggestions, but am more than happy to hear what you have to say as well:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5286326#post5286326

Here are the pics Redgecko posted up for me showing where some of the factory teams mount sensors -- bottom pinch bolt on the fork:

The sensor has piece that bolts over the top of the rotor to trigger it, here's some pictures for you:

#35 ·
Thanks brotha! :thumbup

I really like the Sato no-cut sliders, they look awesome! I question there durability though with a hard impact. That spacer setup doesn't seem like it would hold up very well. Anybody have any (unfortunate) experience with these sliders?
I thought the same thing as I was installing them, and I also thought I hope I don't ever have to test them out... :sneaky:hammer:

Just curious, how do you like your slip ons? :fact

#34 ·
I really like the Sato no-cut sliders, they look awesome! I question there durability though with a hard impact. That spacer setup doesn't seem like it would hold up very well. Anybody have any (unfortunate) experience with these sliders?

#37 ·
Cans look great. That is one beautiful bike with some tasteful mods. Congrats!

#38 ·
Thanks brotha, I appreciate the kind words. :thumbup The Akra's definitely make a HUGE difference in looks! :sneaky

#39 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Clip-ons installed

I think I might need medical help because everytime I finish installing something, I can't stop thinking about what's next. I constantly find myself standing in my closet looking at the shelf full of parts trying to figure out which one I can install at home vs. getting installed at the stealership. :sing: :sneaky :crash

I really want to install my front/rear brake lines and Brembo master cylinder, but I'm a bit apprehensive. The task doesn't look to difficult, I've just never done something like that... :dunno Any suggestions/pointers on that?

I decided to get creative to see if I could get the upper triple clap off head nut off and here's the result:

Wrenthal clip-ons and grips installed. :hellobye

#40 ·
Sweet! My closet has cobwebs...

#42 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Brembo Master, Spiegler lines, and some carbon fiber installed

Just got a few more pieces installed. Still looking forward to getting my forks and wheels installed, but here are the updated pics:

Brembo master cylinder & lever:

Spiegler ines:

Carbon trim pieces, still waiting on my inner fairings to arrive. Gotta be honest, I'm very satisfied with the MDI pieces I ordered.

#45 ·
Coming along nicely my friend! Very tasteful modding with the Brembo MC with matching Clutch perch, and Renthal clipons... I might have to replicate the look :thumbup

What are you going to do about your front brake calipers with the Ohlins forks? :dundun:

#46 ·
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the kind words my man. :thumbup As for your bike, I'd love to see it with more tasty bits on it. :fact :boobies

I've got a nice set of 108mm Brembo calipers waiting to go on my Ohlins forks, just need to get those 108mm caliper mounts for the forks first. :sneaky :hammer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.