Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

newb from Las Vegas

5K views 65 replies 14 participants last post by  shhaker 
#1 · (Edited)
just wanted to drop a line to say hello. I have to admit I joined the forum today in order to use the classified section. Then I read the rules. Oh well. Anyway, I'm a trackday junkie from Las Vegas. Dont currently ride street at all. Currently riding a really well developed 2003 RC51, previous to that a 2010 Aprilia RSV4R (dont ask). Looking to unload the RC and jump onto my first R1. I have always stayed away from inlines because I love the character, torque, and sound of v-twins. I'm finding out that my preference of engine is holding me back on the track and I cant afford to run a Ducati. I figure the crossplane R1 platform should satisfy my need for character while giving me the handling benefits of modern chassis geometry and the inline 4 engine. So to stay within the rules I wont post any links or try to pimp my RC here but I am legitimately looking to move to a new R1 so if you know anyone in the market or someone who could consider a cash/trade deal, please PM me. In the mean time, I'll be lurking around and reading all I can about the crossplane R1 and what makes them work best around a racetrack.

UPDATE: the RC is officially for sale in the classifieds. Here are some new photos

See less See more
#46 · (Edited)
well the RC is officially gone. My new (to me) 2009 Raven is coming home this Sunday. Build thread to follow shortly thereafter. It already has quite a few track bits installed.

Ohlins TTX rear
Ohlins NIX 30mm fork cartridges
PC5
quick shifter
Yosh R77 3/4 system
Graves rear sets
front and rear wave rotors
frame sliders
swingarm spools
ASV folding levers
braided front lines
Renthal clip-ons
520 kit
stomp grip

#49 ·
Not sure on the brand of QS or rotors. The dealer who I'm buying it from doesn't know what they have. They flat out told me it did not have a quick shifter when it clearly does and didn't mention anything about updated rotors. I'm hoping the QS is the flash tune model cause that means the ECU is already flashed and I don't have to pay to get it done. Another little bonus the dealer didn't mention. I will keep everyone posted

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#53 ·
I have my heart set on a set of brake tech CMC's.

Haha, of course you are. Just remember, all hand me downs go through me! I was just drooling over those rotors a couple of days ago, but I'm not hard enough on my stock setup (well, with pads and lines) to even contemplate switching. You seriously should come out to Road Atl! Nesba offers a discount for Yamaha riders too ;).

#52 ·
Very nice R1 indeed. Lucky find as well.

#54 ·
I'm sure I'm not hard enough on mine either. I just want the brake techs because of the light weight. You drop about 4 pounds of unsprung and rotating mass by switching to the CMC rotors. Combine that with some lightweight forged wheels and that should make the R1 quite flickable for a liter bike. Not to mention much shorter stopping distances and quicker acceleration without making the engine any less ridable or reliable.

#55 ·
Wow, that's really impressive. 4lbs is roughly what you see from switching to forged aluminum wheels on the R1 for comparison. My main deciding factor is $$. I'm operating on a very limited budget for the time being, so once my forks are done, most of my $ is going to track time.

#58 · (Edited)
well everyone, my 2009 Raven finally came home yesterday. She is everything I was hoping and more. Since I live in Vegas and the bike was located at a dealer in Inglewood ("always up to no good" - I was seriously playing that song for about half the trip) I never actually got to lay eyes on her until yesterday morning. Thankfully my sales guy, Jerry @ LA Cyclesports, was straightforward and honest. He was even willing to meet me on Sunday when the dealer was closed. Keep in mind that I haven't even sat on an R1 since 2010 when I was cross shopping it with my previous Aprilia RSV4 purchase. So I had almost no idea what to expect. I just remembered how much bigger I thought the R1 was compared to the Aprilia. I was pleasantly surprised though once I was able to throw a leg over her Sunday morning. Everything about the bike seemed to be in the right place ergonomically and the sound of that cross plane I-4 is flat out musical. I was also able to confirm all the details that I was curious about such as:
quick shifter - yep
type of wave rotors - Galfer
double bubble screen - yep
billet, foldable levers - yep
520 chain/sprockets - yep
I'm still unsure whether or not it has a power commander though. I was able to open the rear cowl where I expected to find it and there is nothing in there but wires. I'm honestly not that worried about it though. The fact that its running a quick shifter means it either
A) has a PC5 or Bazzaz on board somewhere
or
B) has a flashed ECU
I'll know which by the end of the day today and I would not be disappointed with either.
Of course I was also able to confirm that the bike has
-Ohlins TTX rear shock
-Ohlins NIX 30mm cartridges
-Yosh carbon R77 3/4 exhaust
-Graves rear sets (which are really beefy BTW)
-Renthal clip-ons (also nicer than I expected)
-spools
-no drill frame sliders (cool bracket design)
-stomp grip

I even discovered that it has Magical Racing full carbon/billet rearview mirrors. Not that they will benefit me on the track in any way but I figured its a nice bit I could sell and put that money toward the few additional parts I want. Here are the first few photos I snapped of her yesterday. My apologies in advance if I'm not as pretty as the bike

#61 ·
Update: ran the R1 on the dyno today. Just a baseline run to see where it's at. The best word I can think of would be FUBAR. Thankfully I was able to confirm a few more things.

First, I was able to find the PC5. It was under the rider's seat which I thought was retarded.

I also found a couple other interesting things while I was in there. A speedo healer and a Danno's quick shifter module. The funniest part was that the quick shifter wasn't plugged into the control module at all so obviously it wasn't doing anything. Both these boxes will be removed ASAP. What can you guys tell me about the Danno's box? Is it worth anything?

The ECU has been flashed but not correctly. It can achieve 100% throttle in the upper RPM range but not the mid-range where I would normally want it. Luckily my engine builder has a flash-tune interface so he will straighten it out quickly. Once the ECU has been correctly flashed I'm gonna run the quick shifter directly instead of the dynojet add-on module.

The worst part was the air/fuel ratio. It was all over the place. I was able to get a print out with HP, torque, and A/F. I'll post it shortly.

#63 · (Edited)
Wow, that is low! A friend of mine who had a really low initial dyno around those numbers had a pinched fuel line under the tank. After he fixed that he made a considerable amount more power (went from under 150 to 170 even with a low mount exhaust, flash-tune and graves stacks). A guy in the flash-tune thread gained a considerable amount of power by adding timing in certain areas and said changing the stack opening point to 8,000 RPM made a good difference in the midrange. Those two things are tuneable via Flash-Tune. Speedo healing can be done with Flash-Tune now too, so you can ditch that. Factory error is roughly 6%. I had some issues using a DJ sensor directly to the ECU with the Flash-Tune interface, but I think it's just an issue with DJ sensors and FT. I got some target AFR info from the Graves site, but I haven't tried them yet, waiting for the weather to get warm and going to try to get my autotune close.

I'd never heard of that QS setup, interesting that it custs coils individually, etc.
http://www.danosperformance.com/yamaha_r1_r6_quick_shifter.htm

#64 ·
I didn't expect huge power output. My RC only made 120 on this dyno. It made more than a stock 2011 that was recently mapped on the same dyno. This one just reads low. Remember, comparing bikes on different dynos really isn't a valid comparison. I'm actually happy with the peak numbers. I just want this thing to be user friendly and easy to ride. I'll worry about peak power when I start racing it.

My QS sensor isn't dynojet. I think it actually came from Dano's. There is no branding on it at all though.

I will most likely ditch all this stuff and go with a Bazzaz though. Dynojet requires an additional control module if you want to control all 8 fuel injectors and a QS. Bazzaz does not. Keep an eye out in the classifieds if you are interested in a speedo healer, PC5, Dano's quick shifter, or Magical Racing carbon Racer Replica mirrors with long elbow stem.

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier that I'm not yet sure if the air injection system has been removed from the bike yet either. That's the main reason we didnt try any mapping today. I didn't have to get into the removal and there isn't any point to building a map with that thing still connected.

Is it time to start a build thread now? I think so.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.