Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

2M views 13K replies 451 participants last post by  Tad158 
#1 ·
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.

Attachments

See less See more
#10,302 ·
here's the official response from ft to my help ticket, standard bs. i think i'll just work with ecu unleashed and be guaranteed unlimited reflashes.

I sincerely apologize with the new software we were unable to find a solution to support these interfaces.

We do want to help where we can and are more than happy to generate a 50% off discount code for your upgraded kit.

If you would like us to do so please let me know, we will get the needed information to have your code generated.

Kind Regards,

Kirk D.

FTECU Inc.

#10,306 ·
your interface might already be one of the newer ones. i'm not sure when they came out.

otherwise just unplug ethernet cable or use firewall to block ftecu program access.

#10,307 ·
I just sent them a scathing ticket email explaining to them Intentionally sabotaging the Interfaces I purchased to force me Into purchasing another one is illegal ! Let's see what they say but if this is the case and there going to screw us I need to know if a class action suit is in the works and where do I sign up ? Is there another company offering a flash interface and how much does it cost ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#10,308 ·
i'll sign up for that, gotta be at least one lawyer member.

i don't know of any other interface, only the ship there type, which is a pain.

i don't mind them upgrading so the interface is locked with an ecu, but we should get an even exchange, i'll even pay shipping. i paid for interface once.

plus who says they won't require another purchase in a couple years? didn't the owner used to be justin? wonder if it's kirk that's just milking everything.

#10,316 ·
Clarification please?

If you have an old style interface and have recently flashed someone else's ECU your interface will be locked to their ECU?

If you have an old style Interface and have only flashed your own ECU your interface will still function but only work on same ECU?

The contract I entered into when I bought the unit was the ability to flash as many ECUs as I wanted. That was FT's own selling point.

#10,319 ·
Old style will no longer work at all. Now they offering replacement for $100. I still don't think that's enough.

#10,318 ·
This is a tragic decision from FT guys!
Requiring Internet connection to start the FT program and flash you ECU is – simple said – idiotic!

There are so many tracks that don’t have internet connection, there are still so many places, garages that are not online….

What does FT think? That people will test drive, experiment and make changes to their ECU in the comfort of their living room within a WiFi zone???

Bye FT - if you still stick to this decision– getting back to YEC!

#10,320 · (Edited)
I messaged them via FB today - here's the conversation for what it's worth.

17 hours ago
ME: Guys - why have you withdrawn software support for the 2.2 interface which now renders it unusable? This needs to be rectified asap or there's going to be a lot of angry former customers contacting the Better Business Bureau...
3 hours ago

FT: We tried to implement the older version it into the software. It just was not possible. we have made every effort to make sure you can get a replacement unit at a very discounted price.

2 hours ago
ME: Not acceptable. That's like Ford saying 'We're introducing a new model Mustang, so the older models will be disabled. We will however be delighted to sell you a new Mustang at a generous discount!' There's absolutely no reason why the older version software cannot be left active but no longer updated so that existing customers are not screwed over. I understand the need (and right) for you to maximize profits by marrying one interface with one ECU but your decision is going to alienate your entire customer base. You can be sure that potential customers will hear about it too, especially from folks like myself who have never flashed anyone's ECU but their own.

about an hour ago
FT: Please i do understand your frustrations. We did try to make them work and just wasn't able to facilitate that. those units have not been made in well over 2 years and with the designs of the platform it just wouldn't work. w are trying to alleviate the pain the best we can. Is there anyway i can help you? if i sold you a kit for $100 would that work for you? please let me know how i can work with you. thanks again

3 minutes ago
ME: No, I don't want to spend another $100 on top of the $400 I spent 14 months ago when this v2.2 unit was on sale.

FT: David, as i said i do understand where you are coming from. we are trying to help where we can. $100 is very fair comprise for you. we loose money at that price.

ME: I'm reasonably technically literate, so please do explain why the older version software download could not have been left active (but not updated) on your website for 'older' customers like myself. I honestly don't believe that this was/is not feasible. You may also want to check out the Flash Tune threads on the R1 forums (http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326778&page=525) to see the damage this has already done to your reputation.
FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface - Page 525 : Yamaha R1 Forum
www.r1-forum.com

ME: There should be no need for compromise - I paid $400+ for an interface whose main selling point was that it could be used any number of times. Now, just over a year later, and around 6 flashes, you're now backtracking and saying "Sorry - you're not allowed to flash any more, unless you pay us another $100". And now you're trying to tell me that it's fair that I should pay another $100? Wow...

#10,322 ·
FT: We tried to implement the older version it into the software. It just was not possible. we have made every effort to make sure you can get a replacement unit at a very discounted price.
I think the time is ready for this community challenge FT to share their technical arguments for not been able to support the "old" interface...

I may be wrong, but I believe they don't have ANY technical arguments that could not have been solved...

#10,321 ·
what nerve. loss to them? what about to us. not only to pay when we already have, but to pay for a unit that has a fraction of the versatility as the original, that's obsurd.

#10,326 ·
only one disappointing me is flashtune.

#10,327 ·
This is the real reason for why FT is doing this:

FT have got a new owner. They are trying to pursue the Woolich racing business model.
And that is: Payment per ECU/Flash, no more free unlimited flashing....

This is a change of business model from FT, not techincal issues with the old cables - the technical arguments is just a smoke screen!

This reminds of Abba's famous song: "Money, money, money"

#10,334 · (Edited)
When I first got my Woolich shit back in April 2013, you could flash as many different ECU's as you wanted as many times as you wanted. Shortly afterwards Woolich implemented a 3 ECU limit and stated it was quote " so he wouldn't go out of business".

But, no one has been gripping to much about the 3 ECU limits nor has anyone had to buy new interfaces.

In all honesty the Woolich software for my Kawasaki has work pretty good.

I see Woolich is now releasing Yamaha flashing. Looks like he has the R6 already deployed. R1 may not be far behind.

I cant help but think what FT has done is in response to some of this same Business model as pointed out in the above post. MONEY MONEY MONEY!

Im OK with businesses trying to make money off their products, but don't promise 1 thing then bait and switch.

#10,329 ·
So who wants to reverse engineer an interface and start building them. Shouldn't be hard to copy the firmware off the microcontroller and I'm sure the hardware is off the shelf components. The ecu image definitions are on everyone's hard drives. The only other challenge will be to find the maps.

#10,330 · (Edited)
On the last page seems like the interfaces in the small photos will work with one ecu only while the bigger photo of the interface doesn't work at all anymore, I haven't even tried to open my software yet, hasn't been opened in a few months, but last time I opened it I flashed a buddies bike so hopefully it isn't paired with his ecu, that would really suck

#10,331 ·
I’m in the industry and it’s my understanding the flash tune guys went out of business. Rumors are this… Software requires a lot of updating constantly, but these guys sold a product that only a few people would buy and toss it around to everyone they know. Some of the other companies had major issues with their software not wanting to update to multiple ECU (because it would “mate” to the first one) causing them to “tank” on the race grids. After a while the stuff started to get better but they ran themselves into the ground coding issues with no revenue.

I’ve wanted to use the flashing stuff for years on our stuff and held off due to the flaws, it sounds like they’ve dealt with the issue of ECU’s having glitches from multiple bikes and multiple flashes by building something in to compensate for it. $100 a bike is cheap compared to piggy backing multiple units of other boxes.

When they shut down a new company started over and did the logical thing and redid everything to work. Similar to what adobe or any other company does they all stop supporting operating on older systems after so many years.

Reference to flash tune here’s a hint from me… I’ve talked to Chuck and I’m going to give them the appropriate Graves maps for our products to offer to customers. I see too many people altering things that don’t need changed, then adding fuel controller maps into the flash causing the bikes tune to be off and not knowing how to fix it. When you take a bike with just a fuel tuner and load a map into it that based on a stock ecu machine and add it to a ECU with changed ignition, engine braking and a LOAD of other things don’t expect it to run right. You need to be doing this stuff on a dyno if you’re really trying to make the performance of your bike better…

< my .02… Good luck with it. I’ve heard the new stuff works great.

-Shane

#10,337 ·
I Had 3 gold boxes and just upgraded them for 3 of the new cables. $100 dollars each! I’m not sure about the other guys but I’ve had the gold boxes for more than a year and the normal cost of the kit is 380.00 so it seems like a bargain to me.
I had to have 1 of each cable for each bike. Now I can get 1 cable that fits all the bikes. Anyway it doesn’t seem like such a bad deal and the new software seems to work much smoother.

#10,340 · (Edited)
Frankly speaking having a cable more than a year is not a valid argument for upgrading...

To make an parallel; What is the need to change my working phone USB after a year...?

If your 3 gold boxes were defect and you needed to change them (anyway) then $300 for new cables would have been a bargain. If you don't need to change something "working" this it's just a loss - not a bargain.

Anyway - I think FT have to make an clear statement about what cable/bike models are affected and the consequences.

And also what users of their product loose and gain with this transition!

Edit: I understand FT need all the supporters they can get in their business decision. Graves could have been an credible supporter, but the presented arguments doesn't make sense. Even the new software could have worked with the old cables - if they wanted to!

FT also did and action of infringe when their new installation program automaticly deleted the older working version of Flash-Tune from my harddrive without asking me, and telling me the consequences. They should have given their users an option of keeping the "old" stuff with it's limitation and not delete something without users approval - at least not when the consequenses is that they have a unusable product.

You still mean it's a bargain...? For me it's lack of business ethics.

#10,338 ·
I talked with the CEO for about an hr today. I am with Shane. It had to end at some point. More on this when I get to a real computer. But long story short, the older v1 (R6 & 07-08 R1) and v2 (09+ R1) are the only ones affected. They have offered to upgrade your interfaces, with some verification, for 100$ shipped which is below cost. The unit will have some great new features. And lets face it, the older units have sold in over two years and there just are just not that many left out there.

The folks with the newer models are basically uneffected by the update. They will be able to instantly have access to the new features.

That being said, I have a replacement on the way to my house. And this is a growing pain, for some really great stuff on the horizon.

More later...

#10,339 · (Edited)
Sorry Tad - have to disagree with you there. There's been no justifiable reason provided by FT thus far for not having software available (existing software at that) which would allow the older models to work. If there ain't that many out there, then there's little harm to FT's new business model.

Personally, a few days ago I ordered a Dano's Performance QS which I should have next week. I will likely want to go in and tweak the QS settings at some point, so now I need to hand over $100 to FT to be able to do that. Not acceptable...

Davy

#10,341 ·
Just got off the phone with a guy named Tigue from FT. Also spoke with another guy named Chris. We can take this anyway we want to however which way is it that's best for us. I do feel robbed since I spent $400 and now I have to spend another $100. I mean I'm not Mr. Graves who can afford it. No I'll have to wait a couple months to save up slowly for an unnecessary expense. Or I could look at it as they could just not offer us a lower price and charge us full pop for it but then they'd be sending an extremely bad message to the consumer which I doubt their that naive to do. So I'll wait to decide what I'm going to do. Regardless it's becoming almost unnecessary to continue this product for myself altogether and just have SBU do a custom flash and be done with it.

Tad for all the time and effort you've put in thank you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#10,343 ·
Old boxes should be grandfathered in as stated before. We were originally told we could flash multiple bikes and if we own it we should be allowed to continue. Don't offer us continued support/upgrades and if the new system is that much better we'll want to upgrade anyways. Currently I am happy with my setup and until I see something very compelling I have no reason to upgrade.

Better solution yet is offer a multi use license to those with the old system, "not many of us left anyways" so it shouldn't hurt that bad!

P.S. Rarely post here as I am an R6 rider but appreciate the info!

#10,344 ·
As I said above:

This is correct, the new interfaces will be mated to a specific ECU. If you want to flash more than one ECU that you have an interface for, you will be able to buy an addition ECU licenses. This is EXACTLY how car programers work. The license will be for an ECU not a flash, so you can still flash as many times as you like. And if your buddy wants a flash, he can buy the license and flash his bike with your cable, so you would save him the cost of the interface.

#10,355 ·
The images should work the same as they always have. The image can be used on any ECU like before. Only the interface will be tied to a single ECU, unless you buy additional licenses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.