Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

engine died after hitting bump

6K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  cyclepsycho7 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a 06 R1. I was riding my bike as I ran over a hole in the road. It hit pretty hard suddenly the bike instantly started misfiring and died. I'm stranded on side of the road. Does anyone have any suggest5ions. Its
grees and I'm freezing. Help!!!!!

#3 ·
First check the switch on your side stand. A wire might have come off.
I'd be checking all the connectors you can, and the fuses.
Maybe a wire popped off you coils.
Check your leads to the spark plugs.
Make sure everything is tight on the battery terminals.
Hopefully someone else will chime in with more tips.
Good luck mate. :thumbup

#5 ·
I had the same problem once, after the bike went for a nap on its side.

If this is the same as my scenario, then it may well be the tilt sensor. Go into DIAG mode and toggle the engine on/off switch. Then switch off the ignition and retry to start the bike up.

#14 ·
Right, but he made it sound like it was (turning over) but not starting. Or maybe I'm just tired or dumb and have no clue what's going on! :crash

#15 ·
If you hit the kill switch while the bike is still rolling, it'll try to start and sound like misfiring. I don't know if the 2nd post was at a standstill. :dunno:

#16 ·
Ok guys lets try this again. it was very foggy, it was a man hole cover that dropped about 2 inches lowerthan the pavement. i ran over it at about 40 but the bikes suspension really bottomed out really hard. instantly the bike was like running on 2 cylinders misfiring and backfiring for about 2 blocks the second i pulled over and pulled the clutch it died and didnt start again. needless to say AAA sucked ass they took 5.5 hours to pickme up and flatbed the bike home. how do i reset the tilt sensor? idk whatelse to check. i know now how to go in DIAG mode. then what? what am i looking for? alll the codes have numbers but 2 of them. #20, and#21, the both say ON. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? What ami missing????:shake:boom

#21 ·
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THE 06 R1 WORKSHOP MANUAL. I did hard reset.Have gone through every plug wire and connection. Repaired the tilt sensor, turned over the engine and it still wont start. I ve ran system diagnostic and i get no codes. WTF am I missing??????? I spent an hour and a half on phone with mechanic from local dealership and we still couldn't figure out.....the bike when i turn the key on, it primes and i hearthe fuel pump. I pulled the spark plug cranked it over and have no spark!!!!

#22 · (Edited)
Try this thread, There are a few links in it, you will find it in there. :yesnod

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275916

Your not getting power power to your coils. Trace the wires back from your coils to the battery, the problem is in between the two.

#23 ·
I downloaded the service and racing manual. i repaired the tilt sensor, went through the checklist, have no codes showing but still will not start. It will turn over just fine but it wont start. I am now checking why I have no spark. Will let you guys know asap.
Thanks

#27 ·
Does the bike have an immobilizer (chip inside the key). One reason for the bike turning over but not starting could be from the computer not recognizing the key in the ignition. If the computer and the key don't have the right 'code', the bike won't start. I'm really curious what the problem ends up being.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.