Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

HOW TO: Install a Translogic Dash

88K views 380 replies 42 participants last post by  DarkHorse 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's what I did when I installed a TL Micro Dash 2 into my 06 R1....

Harness 1

I put the TL temp sensor under the side head bolt...

The TL yellow RPM signal wire spliced into the OEM coil signal wire : grey/green.

The TL speed sensor was a bit of trouble, it didn't work in my kit, and it's big and ugly as well...

After several hours of setting it up only to find out it was useless....I junked it.
I cut off the TL speed sensor plug and isolated/insulated the TL power wire : brown.

I spliced into the OEM speed sensor wires on the ECU side of the sensor, under the tank.

TL : blue - OEM : black/white

TL : black - OEM : pink

I wanted to keep the OEM dash connector so I can use the OEM dash as a diagnostic tool if I need to.

I got a connector plug from an auto parts store (they didn't have an 8 pin so I had to get two 4 pin plugs).

I wired one side of the connectors I'd bought, to the loom after the OEM dash connector.

And wired the other side of the connectors I'd bought to the TL dash.

(I don't have any pics at the moment)

Harness 2

TL High beam : white - OEM : back/yellow

TL Oil Pressure : yellow - OEM : black/red

TL Ground (neg) : black - OEM : Fairing stay bolt

TL Neutral : green - OEM pale blue/white

TL Left Indicator : purple - OEM : dark brown

TL Right indicator : light brown - OEM : dark green

TL Fused 12V supply : red - OEM : pale brown

The TL programming button came with a bracket to attach to the clip-on, I ditched that and fitted it into my switch gear.

Job's a good 'un

See less See more
#181 ·
Need help homies!! :lol

I got the dash installed but the problems I'm having are:

1. I bought it second hand and didn't get any instructions for programing, so i don't know how to program it.

2. When I start it on the rear stand and pop it in gear, the dash doesn't seem to read the correct gear it's in. It registers neutral as appropriate, but displays a dash " - " in 1-6 gears.

3. The wheel looks to be turning roughly 15-20 MPH, but the dash might say 155 - 200, almost as if there's a decimal missing on the speed readout - hope that makes sense

I'll throw up a video in a few minutes...

#182 ·
What type of splice connectors did you use for the gear indicator. If it didn't penetrate the wire casing it might not be getting a ear signal. I'm working on directions for you right now, and as for speed I'm not sure on that issue

#183 ·
I'm throwing up pics here in a second... They're designed to penetrate the housing, maybe I'll have to use something else... hope not though... :lol

#197 ·
Ohhhh shittttttt, I think there just went $400+ down the toilet... :lol I was looking at the speed sensor wires while the bike was running, and I accidentlly pulled it loosed and connected it and then the dash went dead... :shake

#199 ·
Nothing...

Disconnected the battery, checked all the fuses, checked the connections at the front, and under the tank, just a dead dash when I turn the key on. The OEM dash will work, but the TL one will not now.

#202 ·
You were probably getting ground from the sensor wire. Make sure you have a good ground and check the TL dash again. The dash is pretty rock solid when it comes to it's circuitry.

Neutral is indicated by a wire, so when you're in neutral, the dash should display it calibrated or not :dunno

You hold the black button in while turning on the bike to get into the setup, and to make any recalibrations or changes, everything must be setup all over again... The issues you were having earlier sounded like you just needed to get your RPM's setup right :dunno didn't sound like any wiring issues... I'm online now so let me know if you need help brotha :thumbup

#204 ·
Found it, it's a loose connection in the wire I was checking on. :lol Can't tell you how many backflips I wanna do down the road now.

#209 ·
I'm really considering hard wiring the dash in, i.e. soldering all of the connections because I think I'm going to have issues with them...

The one thing I'm trying to track down is how the dash knows what gear to display, I just keep getting the dash instead of the actual gear. I know the setup piece had me run up to half throttle for each gear, but the dash isn't displaying gears when i move out of neutral, just the dash. Any suggestions out there?

#214 ·
#211 ·
You should have got as far as setting the speed, pressed the black button and then you are on to gear selection.
Ride the bike up to half revs, hold steady and hit the button and number 2 should appear on the dash, select 2nd and run to half revs, hit button and 3 should appear on the dash, select 3rd gear and so on through the rest of the gears.

It knows what gear you are in based purely on a combination of speed and revs, there is no pick up or sensor it gets it from.

#212 ·
Did all of that. Does that mean the dash wont display the gear while siting still?? That it won't actually display until I ride it??

#217 ·
It's all good dude, I really appreciate all the help and patience from you all today! :thumbup I'll let you guys know how it turned out tomorrow.

#220 · (Edited)
You need an accurate rear wheel speed measurement to calibrate the TL dash. A dyno, a gps on the road, or possibly leaving the wiring to connect both the OEM and TL dash, is the only way to do that. But only if your gearing is stock or you have an accurately set up speedo healer as well!

#227 ·
Did the dash display an option for 7th gear while you guys were calibrating?

Took the bike out for a ride today and LOVE the dash, but I definitely need to recal it for sure... :lol I'm getting gear indications that are not accurate and all over the place.

Question I have on the calibrating the gear part; once you reach step where you set the gear indicator for each gear, how did you guys actually do it? I tried it on the rear stand, but it obviously wasn't that effective as the gear display is NOT accurate, not sure if I let the speed drop to much maybe between shifts?? It was showing 1st while I was in 5th or 6th, would flash up 7th every now and then, would correctly display 4th or 3rd from time to time, etc...

#230 ·
To be honest I set the 30mph with my phone, then slipped it in my jacket to do the gear indicator portion :crash You have to do it under load or the dash will have a hard time determining the correct gear :dunno and skip setting 7th gear :lol

Just keep playing with it and you'll get it perfect. I was able to dedicate about an hour to calibration and getting it right; haven't changed it since :fact

#232 ·
I wish I had access to a dyno here, I'm not sure how far the closest one is to be honest... :lol I guess it'll be the long straight roads I'e got unlimited access to here. :bs :lol

#234 ·
Hey!

Finally got my temp sensor from TL. Does anyone have the instructions online like in a .pdf or anything. The shop that installed my cluster managed to lose them. I need to know on how to program my shift light and most importantly my speedo.

Thanks
Louis

#235 ·
Hi Louis,
If u look back a few posts Ian posted a link of the owners manual :thumbup

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#238 ·
DONE! That dash is LEGIT mannnnn!! I fvcking LOVE it! I takes about 5 ft to pick up 1st, and then it picks up every other gear as soon as I hit it, so satisfied with it! :thumbup

The only time I've seen it display a wrong gear is when coasting into my neighborhood. I came into the turn about 15-20 in 1st with the clutch in, and it displayed 3rd until I let the clutch out again.

#249 ·
Shhhhhh.....shaddup about the $...the minister for finance is in the room! :lol

#252 ·
Shhhhhh.....shaddup about the $...the minister for finance is in the room! :lol
:lol I LOVE that title! :thumbup

My Missus gets pissed every time I tell her I have to put the accessory value up on the insurance :lol
Mine used to get pissed until I closed and/or hid the damn spreadsheet when she came in... :crash :sing:

#254 · (Edited)
:hammer:

i quit worrying about the cost of mods a while ago... and i've been trying to educate even my old man on this.... thats the name of the game...
being a biker is not a welfare sport.. and if you're into performance... bahahahhaha... just you wait... things are gonna get interesting... :corn :fork

Do yourself a favor and don't add them up... :yesnod :cryin
:fact
my CC does this automatically, it pops up everytime i pay my bills, i never look over the details, 'cause i already know what it means..
nothing good can come from adding it all up :lol :no

I just list the mods as I fit them... Not even I want to know the $ value. :scared
dude, y'all know how things are for us Canadians as well.. last few years i've been living the dream... i try not to
think things in terms of $ going out... its always about how good i feel every time a throw a leg over my baby!!

and she loves me for it, so its good... its a win win!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.