Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Panama City area riders

7K views 76 replies 5 participants last post by  graphitegripper 
#1 ·
Going to be moving to Panama City in Nov some time and just looking to find out what the sport bike scene is like there? I know the cruisers are always there.

Let me know.

#29 ·
Yeah I can't wait, I'm so ready for it. I've been thinking about my bike non stop for a few weeks now. I have 30 days and I'll be back in the states and I'll at least get to see my bike as it's getting loaded up to go out to FL.

#30 ·
30 days?! Hell yeah!

My partner finally got his bike back up and running. It's a naked now as he still has to get a new fairing which he probably won't do. LOL He was involved in a wreck, cager and something to do w/ a left turn, ruined the whole front end. Switched to an 08 setup but kept his 05 rotors and cut them down. Worked like a charm. So we rode this Sat and me on the Warrior...(still waiting on the damn title) but we didn't make it out to the "hill" but maybe this wkend if weather permits.

I may even have the Z up by the time you get back. Keepin my fingers crossed on that one. LOL

#31 ·
Yeah, I can't wait to be back, I'm getting twitchy with the idea.

I just bought all the interior panels to change my tan interior out to black, door panels, back quarter panels, kick panels. Got a good deal on it all or I wouldn't have done it.

Do you know anyone that can weld titanium? I want to get a O2 bung welded to my stock header as soon as I can when I get there. I already ordered the PC V and the wide band controller and it'll be waiting on me in Tucson.

Are there any car nights there? I would hope there's a lot of car shows throughout the year, any fbody clubs around?

#32 ·
Yeah, I can't wait to be back, I'm getting twitchy with the idea.

I just bought all the interior panels to change my tan interior out to black, door panels, back quarter panels, kick panels. Got a good deal on it all or I wouldn't have done it.

Sweet! I did that too as I had the light grey and switched to ebony. Best decision I made w/ the car.

Do you know anyone that can weld titanium? I want to get a O2 bung welded to my stock header as soon as I can when I get there. I already ordered the PC V and the wide band controller and it'll be waiting on me in Tucson.

Do I know anyone that welds titanium? No, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone in town who does. I'll see what I can find out for you but more than likely you'll have to go to Ft Walton area possibly for that. That 02 bung won't accept the WB 02? Figure they'd be the same size.

Are there any car nights there? I would hope there's a lot of car shows throughout the year, any fbody clubs around?
That's a tough one to answer. Yes, but hardly anyone shows and it's a general meet, not GM or Fbody specific so imports are mostly out there on Fri nights and not many to boot. Talkin 3 or 4 cars max. It's bad here dude on that front I ain't gonna lie. Plenty of FBod's running around town but I can't never catch em' to see if they're interested. But from my observation, most of the owners have the car just because it's what it is. They're even tastefully modded in most cases but I wouldn't call them diehard car enthusiasts. The hardcore guys are a small group and even we barely can get together and do something. In part we've all lost the mojo to get it crackin. I have my c5z but it's not the same because most of the guys on pclsx own fbods but we welcome all GM models. Now if I EVER get the POS Z running then it's going to be a different ball game because I'll hound every fbod in town I see that's worthy of hounding. It's weird houndin folks in a truck or even the c5z for that matter so I haven't pressed the issue like I normally would. But w/ you coming that should help light the fire in those guys. I don't even know if the mustang guys get together, that's how bad it is here.

Bikes on the other hand? Wed nights, Sat and Sun and even tues out at the beach but I've never confirmed that tue night though.

Don't worry dude we'll get something jumpin off. Like I said though, that yearly Fbod meet in Destin? We all come out the woods for that one, even as far as Montgomery AL make their way to that one.

Oh, and on the 1st friday of every month in the spring, summer and early part of fall there is a Friday Fest in the old dowtown district of Panama City. That's a cool get together there w/ all makes of cars with food, music etc. Also there is a local car show on the 3rd Sat of the month during the summer that takes place all over Panama City and at Seaside as well but I don't know the times for that one. Usually the hint is you'll see a bunch of random kick ass cars on the road you normally never see on the road that aren't part of the local Sat meet on that 3rd Sat of the month...and that's the clue there's a show out at Seaside or 30A.

#33 ·
That 02 bung won't accept the WB 02?

I think you're referring to the stock O2 bung that later models came stock with here? But my 06 didn't come with a stock bung, and the stock header is Ti, so I have to weld a Ti bung to it and of course it a special process to do it right.

It doesn't matter too much about the car scene, I'll get into something for sure just to hang out and meet some people. But I'm really looking forward to meeting people to ride with.

I have never heard about the fbody meet in Destin, who sponsor's that? I've been down there so many times for school and what not and have never heard of it.

#34 ·
Oh, I wasn't aware of that w/ no 02's for your generation. I'll definitely ask around.

As far as who sponsors that meet, I couldn't tell you but it's worth going out to. There is also this HUGE garage meet in Mobile AL I think twice a year w/ all kinds of tricked out cars. I've been wanting to go to that for forever but I'm not going until I have the Toy running period. I'll try and find a link for ya in a bit to check out. There is also the GM Oktoberfest meet in Ocala that's big too that's once a yr. Nice trip and some cool cars and peeps down there as well. I'm a car guy 1st but the bike scene is gaining ALL kinds of ground just because of the people.

#35 ·
I'd rather be in the car scene, but since it's FL I'm going to be riding all the time. I don't care to really be in the bike scene, but just know people to call up to go ride with you know.

#36 ·
I hear ya. I only ride with a small group, talking 4-6 riders max but most times it's just 3 of us. Fine by me as I don't like to draw attention to myself riding w/ a pack of folks. Just more potential for crap to happen and go wrong. As for the car scene, me personally I just like to go cruise. Only romp on it in isolated areas w/ little to no population. The weekly meet type thing isn't for me anymore either but when I'm running I'm always down to cruise.

#37 ·
I've always found that a big group of riders never really go riding. It almost always tends to turn into a game of one-upmanship. I prefer a smaller group to really ride with also.

The car scene, as long as I can cruise a little and park and hang with some cool people that aren't chodes and think they are who they are because of their car then I'll be good. I'd rather hang with good people than anything else really. That's always been the best times I've had when out in the camaro.

#38 ·
I know exactly what you mean. That's why I stay clear of them as my ego isn't big enough to hang around them. LOL If there is an charitable event or something along those lines then I'm out to support that but aside from that, I just ride w/ a select few and it's small. When you get here it'll be 3 of us. :) The other guy is still putting his Aprilla back together and he's been at it for yrs so it'll be another yr or two at the pace he's going. LOL

As for the car crew. They're a good group. Occassional hotdoggin it is inevitable when we're together but no one acts in the manner you've described. We just like to get together when possible to eat, cruise and take pics of the gathering. We've got an 1/8th mile track a 1/2hr from PC and go there once in a blue moon. That's more shit talkin than anything else as we watch amatuer's out there that think they're pro's.

#40 ·
I'm lookng for meeting up and going riding. What happened to your friend with the aprilla?

Not used to a 1/8 mile track, but I'm down to do that as well. It's been years since I ran my Z on the track. And Pcola has been on the books since I knew I was coming there. I have some friends that live there and they have a 69 SS, so they'll going to let me know when something's going on there.

#41 ·
Booger the one w/ the Aprilla laid his down too yrs ago and just never got around to working on it. As of late he's picked up new fairings and repainted them and he was waiting forever on the front end and finally got it installed. Think he is just doing odds and ends but he's slow. LOL

Not a fan of 1/8th mile tracks either but that's all they have and I haven't the need to drive 3hrs for a 1/4. I rather drive my car on a road course like road atlanta or sebring. 5hrs drive though for the amount of money they want? Sheyot...I miss the nurburging SOOO much right now. Pay 16 euros and go, no tech inspection, nothing. Here? You need a class 1st then a co-pilot before they let you out on your own. WTF? And then you're paying some astronomical amount of money for 8hrs which brings me to my last point---you need a gang of people to go in with ya to make it cheap/affordable.

Yeah I'll let ya know when I head out that way. My coils came in! Pray to God that's been the problem all along w/ that car.

#42 ·
Coils didn't do the trick. Grrrrr...:cryin

Talked to Adreline Rush today and they said the do weld 02's bungs on titanium exhaust. Said the bike has to be there to do it or the exhaust system itself. Told him the yr and make of your bike and still couldn't give me a quote. Bunch of BS there but what ever. Personally, I'd look else where and use them as a last resort or get it done up where you are before you leave if time permits.

#43 ·
What's the issue with your car again? And Coils, what engine do you have in that thing?

That's good enough for me if they can do it. I'll just take them the exhaust and let them do it. I would like to do it before I leave, but my bike is blocked in my storage unit by all my house hold goods and I don't feel like messing with it before TMO comes to take it all. I have so much to do to it anyway that it just makes sense to do tackle it all when I get to FL and have a place to do it. It'll need new tires, new battery, oil/filter change, coolant flush, and who know what all. I'll just take the exhaust off and have that done while I'm doing everything else on it. Then it can all go back together and be running strong.

#44 ·
It's an LTx 388ci, low compression setup. I'm using an modified opti only as a cam sync. Using a FAST XFI system and LS7 coils w/ a FAST XIM controlling the coils. It's a hybrid system and works but I just can't get mine to work. When I first installed it it busted off w/in 1/2 a revolution of the engine starting but I had no cam sync so it wouldn't stay runnning. Then something got fried and had to send both boxes back to sum of 1200 bucks to be repaired. They got it fixed and I found the source of no cam signal and figured once the boxes were back I'd be good to go. Shit on got worse and would never fire again. The spark on the coils were weak and continued to wane so I figured the XIM torched the coils and that's why I bought new ones and where I currently am today. Bitch still won't fire.

#45 ·
Just checking in man, any news on the camaro? How's the weather there in PC?

I'll be leaving the desert in 2 days and then I should arrive in PC the first week of November after a long road trip.

#46 · (Edited)
Ummm...let see. Finally got the title last wk, registered it, took it on it's maiden voyage Sat and before I got it out the garage...dropped it on the camaro. Was taking it off the front wheel stand solo which I've done countless times and this time as I was doing it the kickstand decided to pop up the same time as I was letting it down slowly and the momentum took it down. Broke the fairing, wind screen and two dents in the tank. Tank is gonna cost me 250 to fix and I just found an OEM fairing on ebay that I'm closing the deal on now as I type. So all is left is the hotbodies windscreen. I'll get the tank fixed in the dead of winter. Camaro has pearl white paint on the door now but I think it can be buffed out. Pissed more about that then the bike.

The initial ride was a blast! It's gonna be awhile before I really get use to it. Torque is everywhere on this thing and I'm still adjusting to riding it. It makes you respect it that's for sure and the brakes are damn right silly on this thing.

Got the camaro running today for the 1st time in 2.5 yrs but it still needs some work before it's driveable. Timing was 180 out and my fuel pumps weren't running as programmed but got it all sorted out only to find out all 3 wideband 02's took a dump. Hoping I can fix the most important one which is the FAST WB as that's what the XFI reads. Basically running in open loop now.

Tomorrow I ride w/ Chadthaman for the 1st time. Asked him to go easy on me. LOL

Time is getting short for ya man!

#47 · (Edited)
14 days in a rowHahaha dead of winter...you mean those 3-4.weeks in late jan to mid feb where you can't ride (early in the morning)

Dude, riding is YEAR ROUND.in PC. There might be 15 days this winter that it will be too "cold". Otherwise it'll just be avoiding the rain.

For the last 7 years I rode at least once a week EVERY week except when it rained constantly.(more than 14 days in a row , and even then you can sneak in a quick session for an hour or two at one of the spots)

Dead of winter... HAH! That guy's got jokes!

Enjoy FL my friend.

#48 ·
Hell yeah I got jokes. LOL

It's all relative dude. It's YEAR ROUND in Belguim/Europe too but I bet I won't see you out there in the "dead of winter" riding in snow...now will you? LOL Lets see how hardcore you THINK you are. I don't freeze for no one and I get cold easy but that's just me. Riding is a means of pleasure for me at this stage in life and not my primary means of transportation as it may be for some. When it gets too cold for me I'm driving one of my other toys. Spring and Fall are perfect climates for me here in PC. Summer I don't mind at all as it's my preference but even then I ride in the morning or late afternoon/evening.

I've been here the last 4 yrs and have never seen no rain during that short stint of winter. What you talkin bout Willis? :D

Enjoy Belguim and make sure ya hit Spa and the Nurburgring if you haven't done so already!

#49 ·
I'm gonna hit mettet first (next month) and spa in the spring. The ring I will probably do next summer. That one will be expensive to do a full on trackday at. Hopefully assen, caldwell park, and sachsonring as well next spring/summer depending on finances.

You will have a great winter man. It doesn't snow much here but the rain and black ice will keep me from riding in the wintertime.

#50 ·
Nurburgring is cheap! The cheapest of them all. 16 euro's per lap unless it's gone up since I was last there and even still, you can't beat the price for 14 miles of pure bliss! God I miss that place!

Yeah, the black ice AIN'T NO JOKE in your parts but don't be fooled. You'll get some snow. LOL

#52 ·
Hey man, I'm actually in Pensacola right now, got here today and will be here until Friday. I'll be rolling into PC Friday afternoon and should have my bike mid November, don't think I'll be riding it until December, got to take care of some things on it first.

#54 ·
thanks and got it.

#58 ·
Rock hill road is garbage, too many bad bumps and a couple deep grooves in the road. I had a bad run in with one of the locals there too. He put axle grease across the road out of one of the decent sweepers. That was enough to make me stay away from that road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.