Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Almost reaching 30K Miles. Should I continue to invest?

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
It's a '99 and I'm about at 30K miles. I'm looking to track this next season and I'm looking into doing some suspension upgrades, i.e. racetech springs, front and back. That's all fine and dandy but I wondering how much longer it's engine will be able to hold up to hard riding. The engine is pretty solid, but I'm looking for some advice on what I could do to it to ensure a longer life, other than standard maintenance. Is a valve job needed? Should I invest in a new bike? All your help is appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
i have 30k on my 09 and i'm still spending money on it. go for it

#10 · (Edited)
30k miles on a '99~??

dont even worry about it man... its brand new....

i put 30k on my 05 R6 in two seasons.!!...

have you checked the valves? i would definitely have 'em checked if you dont know how yourself,
sync yer throttle bodies, just do the maintenance, change fluids at regular intervals,
you're gonna love Racetech springs.. i'm runnin' em on my 09!

Just curious, what kind of maintenance do you do? What oil? - .
basic maintenance includes changing fork {check for cracked, worn fork seals} & shock oil before every season, some only do the fronts though
coolant, rad flush, spark plugs every 8k miles, valve check adjustment every 25k {most yamaha's rarely need valves adjusted,
you can usually check 'em just by listening to the engine once it warms up, specially with the famous yamaha tick}

i run amsoil 10w40 advanced synthetic motorcycle oil & HIFLO FILTRO...

IF you've upgraded to a BMC or GYTR or K&N air filter, be sure you get a cleaning kit and clean, re-oil before every season
or after long touring trips, there's a lot of construction going on everywhere these days... best to play it safe..

#5 ·
Uhhh.... I did my first trackday on my bike at 206k miles... I've done 5 more so far after that and at 251k now and still going strong without a single issue. Don't think you have anything to worry about ;) :yesnod

Like was mentioned, just make sure you're up on maintenance on everything and she'll be good to go.... wouldn't even bat an eye at it

#13 ·
yup, stock springs have very little quality control purred onto them,
as such % difference in rates can be pretty huge, between 5-10%
off from whats advertised, and they are very heavy compared to Racetechs...

#15 ·
exactly!! i plan to get some headwork done @ 30k, once everything else has loosened up nicely.. :thumbup

#17 · (Edited)
Haha, you guys are hilarious.

changing..shock oil before every season
I've wondered if this could be done to the stock shock. How is it done? I can't seem to find any info on it.

As far as Racetech, I called them today. Brad said the stock for is rated .47kg and with my weight he recommends 1.0! I can see that being a HUGE difference! Also with a .9 kg increase on the rear, I am looking VERY forward to them!

#18 · (Edited)
i would be careful with how stiff you go on the forks.. they recommended 1.0 for my 09 as well, i went with .95 and after riding around town , commuting here n' there, i can say i'm glad i did.. too stiff and you're taking it in the gutt all day...

as far as the rear shock, there very rarely are any real instructions on how to rebuild a shock as most folks just pay to have it done... the reservoirs are nitrogen filled, and need to be depressurized in order to take it apart, I will be doing my SOQI {09+ R1} rear shock this winter... there are some vids on youtube on how they rebuild ohlins shocks.. should give you a pretty good idea...

i can tell you this, when i took my forks apart last year, both my buddy and my old man were sure there was no need to swap out the oil, but i knew my bike
had sat at the dealer's warehouse still in the crate for well over 2 years until i bought it... while it was relatively clean it def. did not have very good consistency
when compared to brand new oil, and considering a new bottle costs only 14 bucks... i got rid of the oem oil right away, and will be doing the same for next season.

#19 · (Edited)
Good to know. I thought about that too, really. I would like to track it but, I also ride on the street and I am a little worried about it being too stiff.

I'm sure I have all of the equipment need to recharge the N in the shock, but I don't at to what specs n' such. I got a pump and the gas so I'm sure it could be done. I'll have to do some more research on it..

#20 ·
yeah i tour with my bike, and you really dont know what you're gonna encounter out there... i actually think my rear shock is a little stiff, will probably have to go down a notch as i'll be in better shape this coming season anyway... but i'm happy with .95s up front..

#22 ·
not that, i'll tell you this much.. hahaha

#24 ·
This kind of topic cycles around the last 10 years or even longer:

Guys, engines dont break at 30k miles or 30k Kms. They are usually made of "exotic" alloys, not Chinese plastic.
:gengar:

#27 ·
Racetech. They have a calculator where you plug in some numbers and it tells you your options. I called them directly and that's what he recommended. I figured it will be too stiff and was thinking about going with a 95 spring. Maybe make my commute a little more comfortable.

#29 ·
Almost 30k on a 1999 is nothing on that bike, i also have a 1999 R1 with 37k, this is the math, The bike is 13 yrs old, thats nothing for a bike that age.. Thats an average of 2,461 miles a yr, about 205 miles a month, and about 7 miles a day. And even if you rode the bike 1/2 of the time it would only be 14 miles a day. So no thats not alot of miles for a bike that old keep up the maintenance ie oil change, lube chain, etc etc and that bike will run for ever.... :) just my 2 cnts

#32 ·
its all in advertising and stealership advice that has traveled via word of mouth... you must have the latest and greatest, all the time.. therefore what was built in the past must be junk.... that and most riders dont take care of their bikes at all.. so its common to see a 10 year {or less, some '04 f4i's look like garbage now} old bike that is already falling appart... if you dont do the maintenance, which does seem to be much more often than in cars then all goes to shit...

mind you pull out a well taken care of bike.. and its like new at 100k miles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.