Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

suspension and tyre pressure prep for track day

6K views 75 replies 10 participants last post by  indianfighter 
#1 ·
I'm doing a couple of track days next month; I've just put in racetech springs for my weight and will be using Pirelli SC-2 tyres. What settings and tyre pressures should I be running? I'm 300 lbs in gear.

On the previous track day I was running stock suspension and had jacked up the preload, comp and rebound but the bike was still wallowy. Hopefully this should be better now.

I'll set up the sag, as a general rule of thumb how much you guys jack up the comp by? And rebound? I've been told comp should be hiked up quite a bit but rebound not so much, may be 1 or 2 clicks.

What tyre pressure should I run in the sc-2 considering my weight? And what's the correct method/sequence of measuring tyre pressure? Cold, hot, after a couple of laps?

#34 ·
Yes I need a 1.2 kg front spring. Valving was on my mind but we don't have the expertise, tools, knowledge here to do that kind of work.

I'm just gooing to try a 1 kg RT spring, if that's no good I'll go back to stock or try and shed lots of weight :)

#36 ·
The 250mm springs will work (just got off the phone with the folks from Race Tech). You'll need to fabricate longer spacers. You'll want to cut spacers that are 23mm longer than the stock ones.

#37 ·
Thanks Cheong, I'll get back to you for that soon.

Dan, thanks man. Do you mean the springs I have now will work, the RT springs for 2008 model? I'm using the spacers that came along with the springs from RT. They were multiple spacers per spring. 6 or 7 I think. So you are saying I need to fabricate an extra pair which are 23 mm in length? What material should those be?

#39 ·
No. I'm talking about the spacer tubes that were in your forks. You'll need to find a similar inner diameter tube that you can cut and drill to fit, but you'll want them 23 mm longer than the OEM. If you have trouble acquiring some, my contact at Race Tech confirmed that they can sell you adequate tubing.

Dan Q is THEE MAN :bow Handles all of the suspensions for at least 20 of us and is always spot on. My opinion, listen to his advice :fact
Some days it feels like one or two. Everyone is so dialed in, you guys make it easy on me. :fact

#50 ·
Dan,

I got the 3827xxx springs (for 2011 R1) now. They are the exact length as the OEM springs. There were washers in the box, do we need to use these washers?

On the 3825xxx (for 2008 R1) we used them to match the length of the stock springs since the 3825 was shorter but the 3827xxx is the perfect length.

Second question, I need a 1.10 kg as per my weight, now since I'm using a 1.0 kg will using the washers help with the preload or firming it up a bit?

#55 ·
I know man, I'm trying. I'm not obese or anything, just tall and big built. I'm a power lifter so the extra bulk does help me ;-) I've put on a bit of kilos in the last 1 year due to personal shit but have started training hard again.

#57 ·
Thanks man. Suspension issues are sorted, they weren't really issues except for the fact my vendor sent my wrong RT springs and me being in India is not conducive to get good valving work done.

7 days of track riding coming up starting next week.

#60 ·
im sure they would have no problem posting out to you when i have my forks and shock serviced they send me all the boxes and packing and arrange the collection and i have them back within 4 days fully serviced they are about the best company i have ever dealt with if you ever watch bsb they are track side as so many bsb and a couple of wsb riders use there products

#64 ·
So I came from 3 awesome days at the track; missed the first day as the track was being cleaned and not going this weekend.

The suspension held up really well and I followed the tyre pressure spec posted in thsi thread; all felt really good. Though the next time I may up the compression by a couple of clicks. The SC-2 tyres were finished by the last 2 sessions on the 3rd day, I could feel the rear slide all over.

Hopefully in in February there will be another track weekend. However, the 1000 cc yamaha was just a bit too much for our tight track. I could have a lot more fun on a 600.

Thanks everyone, I'll be posting more here.

#65 ·
I hear you on the 600. I enjoy my R6 much more than I ever did the R1, although there are a couple of sections on a few tracks that I miss the ballistic acceleration of the 1000.

Generally spinning the rear is more slow rebound than a compression issue in my experience. Compression should allow for the front and rear to compress at similar rates, and most other critical adjustment are typically made to rebound.

#75 ·
Sounds good.
Wow, just read your suspension 101 posts. Puts everything so clearly. Thanks Dan!
It's a work in progress. Feel free to add to it from what you learn.

are my tyres looking squished here or this amount of squish is normal?

Those look about normal from what I see. Actually I see a lot of Dunlops that look underinflated for the first lap or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.