Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Foot peg lowering kit?

16K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  buckroseau 
#1 ·
Hi, new guy here. Just picked up a 03 R1 yesterday, here's a pic in the back of the truck last night. Ok, condition I guess, needs a little TLC, been lightly laid down so a few scratches here and there, but nothing real bad. Price was pretty decent, so a little work seemed acceptable. Hoping to post a few questions and try to glean some info of the regular's here if possible? Not sure if I should post up a question at a time, or all in this thread....and even if I'm in the right forum. I'm sure I'll have lot's more anyway!

One of the big questions I have is does someone make a foot peg lowering kit? I'm well above average in height, so it would be really nice to drop them down and move them back a bit? I thought I've googled some stuff, but thought the experts here might be able to tell me where to start?

Other questions I have are pertaining to the rear shock and if they make a raising link? If I was to have the rear shock set up for my weight? I was thinking racetech, but maybe there are others that do it that you would recomend? Also, do they make a raising link? Just thinking because of my height again...an extra 1/2" or 1" wouldn't hurt?

Thanks in advance!!

Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
adjustable rearsets unfortunately rarely lower yer pegs, they're designed for track use, where you need better clearance for 'em ultra gnarly horizontal left handers :lol
so they'll come up a bit and to the rear but with increased options for angles and such... most dont go lower than stock setting

you'll have to look around, close up and do some heavy searching...

my buddy had the same issue, he kinda gave up n' moved up to sport tourer..

not saying you should do this though...

i'm 6' and R1 fits like a glove.. will be sportin' Gilles Tooling vcr's this season

wicked ride :bow

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, did a little googling last night and came up with this place that looks like they make kits for lowering pegs.

http://www.whaccessories.com/FootPegLoweringKit.htm

Looks like you can do up to a 50mm extension, which would be approx. 1.96". It's a lot, but at my height I need a lot. I think I might give it a try.

Also came up with this company for an adjustable raising link?

http://www.soupysperformance.com/homepage.html

I'm a little confused whether they make one for an 03 R1, probably give them a call tomorrow and ask. Be nice if they did, seems like something that would be fairly basic to do?

#6 ·
First off welcome to your new addiction. Curious is this your first bike or are you trying to compare to another brand or style bike? I'm 6'2 and the bike fits but if you are looking for a truly comfortable ride then you may need to look at your body position. I'm not sure how tall BeaverPuncher is but I think he is the tallest person I've ever seen ride an R1, and may have some suggestions of correct body position.

#7 ·
Not my first bike, I'm probably an old guy compared to most guys on this forum...:p

And no, not really comparing it to anything, just trying to make it fit. I wanted an R1 and that's what I got. Back in college (early 90's) I had a Ninja 600R, After I graduated I had a GSXR and now I haven't a sport bike for 10+ years. I have a few motorcycles, the one I drive the most is a customer chopper I built about 5 years ago, but that fits me well since I built it to fit me.

How tall is BeaverPuncher?

#14 ·
Give Knight Design a call. http://www.knightdesignllc.com/index_files/yamaha_yzfr1_fp.htm

I didn't see anything for a 2003, but that's not to say that they can't make something for you or that even the ones that they do make might work. Several guys over on the FZ1 forum have these pegs and really like them.

After I'm done installing my Spiegelr Superbike handlebar kit, I will be looking into these as well.

#15 ·
:lol you beat Beaver, i think hes either 6'4 or 6'5

Good looking bike though, youll find a lot of info in here :fact

#16 ·
Jack up plates

Hi

I had a similar problem (but I lost my right leg below the knee!), as I wanted the R1 but wanted a little more leg room for comfort.

I was pointed in the direction of Valto Moto 'jack up' plates, but I was able to turn these upside down. The benefit is an extra inch of leg room, more comfort but the kit means you can still use the standard pegs. The only adaption is the gear link rod which is extended. I didn't bother with this - just did the right peg!

Here's a link to a photo showing the right peg & plate

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/guysalmons/media/image_zps0470ac25.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

It was £55 and took me 30 mins to fit. Good luck!

#19 · (Edited)
Hi

I had a similar problem (but I lost my right leg below the knee!), as I wanted the R1 but wanted a little more leg room for comfort.

I was pointed in the direction of Valto Moto 'jack up' plates, but I was able to turn these upside down. The benefit is an extra inch of leg room, more comfort but the kit means you can still use the standard pegs. The only adaption is the gear link rod which is extended. I didn't bother with this - just did the right peg!

Here's a link to a photo showing the right peg & plate

http://s1279.beta.photobucket.com/user/guysalmons/media/image_zps0470ac25.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

It was £55 and took me 30 mins to fit. Good luck!
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I really do appreciate it!! The last couple days I've been firing up the CC, ordering some stuff. I ended up ordering that 50 mm lowering peg kit from wh accessories. Peg is able to rotate to 8 different positions, so more than likely I will rotate back at a 45 degree angle, 1" drop, and 1" back. Also got a custom raising link made at soupy's, should be here in a few days. Designed to go from the stock height, to 4" up. I'm sure I won't goto 4" since that might look a little goofy, but I'm guessing at least 2" up..maybe a bit more? Also ordered up fork springs, rear spring and oil from racetech yesterday set up for my weight.

The pegs from WH come from Germany, so he said they are about 4 to 5 weeks out before I see them. I'm anxious to try all this stuff out!! I will be sure to post up pics once I get everything installed.

Thanks, Matt

#18 ·
Soupys is the only lowering link I would feel comfortable using... His link also raises the bike 1 inch and if you order his adjustable kick stand is even better! Far more adjustable than any others by a long shot... Just my .02

#23 ·
Hi

You can get the 03 in the uk - here's the link

http://www.motorcycle-road-and-race...k-up-plates-yamaha-yzf-r1-98-03-p-404656.html

On the adjustable pegs - they do still stick out a little further than stock pegs. That's why I had to get rid - I was catching my prosthetic on it all the time!

I'll try the WH pegs first and see how it goes, if it doesn't work out..I may end up going with those plates anyway...or maybe both!

Besides the prosthetic, how tall are you?

#28 ·
Hi

I'm 5"11" all in & find the 07 pretty comfy - bit sore on the wrist but who gives a sh*t when you've got an R1!

Lost my leg thanks to a hit n run driver as we call them in the uk. But - first thing I did was get riding again (although the wife doesn't quite agree......)

Good luck on the pegs anyway

#31 ·
Figured I would post an update to what I have been doing. In case there are any other tall guys out there, and need some help some day?

I posted a pic of that raising link a while back, got that installed. Really not much to it. I had the rear tire off and the shock out, because I had sent in my suspension to Racetech and had it set up for my weight. I made an educated guess as far as where to start, raised up the rear about 2 + inches. Figured I would start at that point and see how it goes, can always change it once I try it?

Kickstand ended up being short obviously. I saw several place's that made lowered adjustable kickstands, but none that were for raised bikes. The lowered one's ran about $130...which I thought was a bit much for what I saw..so decided to mod up my own. Took a few pics.

Made a mark where I cut my stock one, think you can see in the pic. Then I came up with an idea for a part and machined it out on my lathe. I drew up a pic so you can see what I did. Pretty straight forward stuff. Also allows me to adjust about 1.5" if I decide to make some changes. I drilled a couple holes in the side of the tubing I machined as well to plug weld the sides in 2 places, as well as weld the ends. Turned out pretty good I think, seems to work well.

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
Few pics of the end result. Even tho I put a little loctite on the set screw, I also safety wired the base of the kickstand to the spring mount. That way if the set screw ever worked loose, the end of the kickstand wouldn't end up in the chain, pretty sure you can see the safety wire in the pics.

Also a pic of the 50 mm lowering pegs I got from wild hair acc. Not cheap stuff, but very nice. Super easy to install. Just drill out the stock rivet head on the OEM pegs. Pretty much use the bolt they supply and bolt them on. I have them back at about a 45 degree angle, so more like a 25 mm drop down and 25 mm back to the rear. Had to adjust the shifting and brake rods, but that was just a couple jamb nuts and turn of a wrench.

Hopefully this information can help other tall guys out there some day!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.