Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Smog Block Off Plates. Use Them Or Don't Use Them...?

12K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  pritch84 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am building my 09 R1 up, and I've seen a lottt of talk about the smog block off plates. I personally will probably throw a set of Driven plates on mine for future dyno tuning along with the reduction of any backfiring.

So who uses them? Who doesn't? Why or why not?

#2 ·
I use them, I bought some reasonably priced ones off fleabay, they stopped all the back firing and popping (that wasn’t too bad with baffles out but always sounded worse when you needed it quiet) this enabled me to sneak past the police quietly that I couldn’t do with the pump on! It didn’t feel any faster or run any different but must have lost a pound in weight off the bike

#3 · (Edited)
yeh i've been runnin' 'em Graves do-hickeys since i got rid of my cats..

running 3/4 leo vince with reflash.. now happier than ever... only get
slight gurbly pop pops when entering a corner under engine breaking...

before the re-flash n' AIS delete, it would backfire like a sumbiatch...
friends could barely ride behind me as it would try n' rip their heads off
every time i used compression... hahaha...

they're so cheap i dont see why anybody would opt not to run 'em..

takes a little mechanical know how to replace'em but its par for the course.. may as well learn
to do yer own spark plugs.. its only 1 more step to get at 'em...

#11 ·
The way I see it, it's an environmental thing. If you already took out the cat, then it's useless and not helping much anyway. Might as well get rid of the extra clutter.

I far prefer the clean sound as well. Bike only pops on very hard engine breaking now. Imo, excessive popping just sounds like an out of tune bike.

#13 ·
If you want the tuner to be able to accurately read your A/F, get the plates. The AIS injects air into the exhaust which will make tuning a little more challenging.

The lack of decel pops is a plus.

#16 ·
I needed them

I have a 2012 and I wasn't going to get them until I got the auto tune for my power commander, if you run an auto tune it won't read the Air fuel ratio correctly without the plates. So if your running a tune be it auto or on a dyno I would put them on. I got the graves ones for real cheap and they were really easy to install

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.