Fan Relay to lower fan kick in temperature : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
canyonrider
I eat my R1

Bikes: 06 R1 Yellow; 02 FZ1 red
Question Fan Relay to lower fan kick in temperature

Guy,

Before you start bashing, I searched for ~ 1 hour and haven't found any info besides manual fan switch and 98-99 R1 fan relay change.
I have 06 R1, and my fan kicks in at 219F. I would like to see my fan kicking in at 200F-210F range. I don't want a manual switch, and I don't feel like getting a standalone fan controller kit from AutoZone. I know there is a simple solution.

Thanks,
Tomas
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
str86diesel
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2005 R1, 2006 GSXr 750
I too would be interested in this. As most of the canyons here in CO, your either in 1st or 2nd gear and the bike heats up pretty quickly.

Last summer I looked for a lower temp thermostat, that way the radiator starts flowing earlier, but had no luck. I've debated about Water Wetter, but I was told that it really doesn't work to efficient in city driving and of course my bike is my commuter as well.

Any input would be awesome around this subject.

kev
str86diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
1hander
The Patient

Bikes: 05 R1
if you wanted to accomplish wat you are trying to, what you need is the fan temperature control switch, but you would have to do research to see whats gonna fit and wats temps you can get, find out other bikes fan kick on temps and go from there
1hander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
ccs22
First time 500... ees .. FACK!

Bikes: 2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike
The solution is by no means simple, but you can do it. You need to find the voltage that equates to the temperature you want the fan to kick in at (coming from the temp sensor). Use an electrical tap on that wire and find a 12v hot lead somewhere. Find a diode with a breakdown voltage that equals the voltage of the temperature you want. You need to wire it in series with the hot lead and also use a big diode to prevent backflow once the circuit is open (ECU won't like that). I would suggest just wiring in a switch because diodes are tricky and if you screw it up you'll likely have ECU trouble. In summer I'd just leave the thing on all the time. If you're worried about forgetting it when you get off, just wire it to the ignition so it won't work with the bike off.
CCS EX #22

http://www.toyotatechnician.net/cmp2.jpg
ccs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
mtayyab50
My R1 eats me.

I did that On My R1 .

okay guys I have that mod on My R1 192/195 F my fan kicks on I will try to post pictures tomorrow morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccs22 View Post
The solution is by no means simple, but you can do it. You need to find the voltage that equates to the temperature you want the fan to kick in at (coming from the temp sensor). Use an electrical tap on that wire and find a 12v hot lead somewhere. Find a diode with a breakdown voltage that equals the voltage of the temperature you want. You need to wire it in series with the hot lead and also use a big diode to prevent backflow once the circuit is open (ECU won't like that). I would suggest just wiring in a switch because diodes are tricky and if you screw it up you'll likely have ECU trouble. In summer I'd just leave the thing on all the time. If you're worried about forgetting it when you get off, just wire it to the ignition so it won't work with the bike off.
mtayyab50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
I'm assuming this is on an 06? 07 and up you just reflash the ecu and change the temp you want the fans to come on.

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement