MIG exhaust : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
BandyR1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: Silver '02 R1, Black '07 Fazer 600 s2
MIG exhaust

I intend to throw-away the full MIG exhaust system that is on my R1 ('03) and install back the original, I managed to find one in almost brand-new condition. (headers, midpipe, can) because a) I think EXUP better not be removed. b) I totally dislike the MIG thing, for its color (that kind of bronze & brown combination) and constructiom. And I dont like its noise either its kind of "weak" not by means of volume but sound quality. And I think that its 4-2-1 header form is not quite correct for good performance. Better is a canonical 4>1 meaning the four tubes joined directly to one (i.e Yoshi). Any suggestions ?
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
NO24U
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: Stretched 2000 Yamaha R1 Red/White/Black
Well if you gonna throw it away i'll take it.
I have a Mig slip on. I wanted to find a header and as we all know Mig is no longer.
NO24U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
pjb84
YOU LIKE THAT, DONT YOU?

Bikes: 07 R1
Ill def take the Mig can if you are gonna throw it away. Ilove Mig.
pjb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally posted by pjb84
Ill def take the Mig can if you are gonna throw it away. Ilove Mig.
Me too. Thats what I have but it's missing the lable at the end of the header. It seems like this has happend to most migs that I see.
cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
BandyR1

Sorry Guys, I have it promised already to a friend. I personally disliked it from the first moment I laid eyes on it. I installed full stock exhaust system (as I said I got one in almost unused condition) and my bike became much better. I undoubtfully prefer it, over MIG, if you ask me. In all aspects. Looks, sound (oh, that smoooooth, velvet-like noise...), Quality. A real 4>1. Later I will probably replace the stock can with a street-legal (always) version from Akra, or Arrow (oval titanium) and It will be perfect. Believe it or not, I am no fond of full systems. Why ? because a) EXUP is not mentained. If for no other reason, I like genuinity as much as is possible to have it. b) they are difficult to install c)possibly with side-effects too i.e more heat generation, engine needing more and frequent tuning etc... d) Catalytic converter can be easily reinstalled if need arises when stock pipes are on. Now, please tell me. What is that you really like about MIG ?

Last edited by BandyR1; 09-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.
BandyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
pjb84
YOU LIKE THAT, DONT YOU?

I love the looks and styling of a high mount pipe. I also love the looks of the mig exhaust. The sound is very deep and unique..I think. If they were still in biz I would have gotten a mig instead of my high mount devil. I hate the look of any "low-or standard mount pipe". Its all about personal preference I guess.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
BandyR1

Quote:
I love the looks and styling of a high mount pipe. I also love the looks of the mig exhaust. The sound is very deep and unique..I think. If they were still in biz I would have gotten a mig instead of my high mount devil. I hate the look of any "low-or standard mount pipe". Its all about personal preference I guess.
yes you're right high mount pipe is great. Only this was NOT a high mount. Consider this: Stock can IS higher mounted than this MIG. I can assure you that its mounting angle was awful. it is lwas) low mounted and worse. Pipe was NOT parallel to the tail. I tell you somethimg really peculiar (possibly had suffered a deformation during bad mounting or I dont know what...) was happening to specific MIG. I cant explain. Its mounting angle was totally wrong. One of reasons for dismounting it...
Old 09-28-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
NO24U
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
I would agree with almost everthing there Except I could stand for it to be a tad bit louder.

But then again My next pipe is going to be the brock sidewinder.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 AM   #9
pjb84
YOU LIKE THAT, DONT YOU?

Quote:
Originally posted by BandyR1
yes you're right high mount pipe is great. Only this was NOT a high mount. Consider this: Stock can IS higher mounted than this MIG. I can assure you that its mounting angle was awful. it is lwas) low mounted and worse. Pipe was NOT parallel to the tail. I tell you somethimg really peculiar (possibly had suffered a deformation during bad mounting or I dont know what...) was happening to specific MIG. I cant explain. Its mounting angle was totally wrong. One of reasons for dismounting it...
eww
... now I see why you took it off.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #10
BandyR1

Quote:
eww
... now I see why you took it off.

Thank you. R1 is a top quality, beautiful bike, and MUST remain that way in all aspects. Now, if a peripheral contributes to deteriorating either beauty or quality or performance, must be asap removed and replaced.
I will maintain original full exhaust and at some point of time ahead I, will install a slipon that will compromise neither quality and performance, nor the looks... Something like titanium oval from possibly either Akrapovic, Arrow or Remus (they all produce a full rich bass pretty nice sound nothing like MIG). Which of three would you recommend ?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 AM   #11
pjb84
YOU LIKE THAT, DONT YOU?

Personally, I like the sound of the akra even tho its not a high mount. I beleive they dont make a high mount..someone call me out if Im wrong.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #12
NO24U
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally posted by BandyR1
Thank you. R1 is a top quality, beautiful bike, and MUST remain that way in all aspects. Now, if a peripheral contributes to deteriorating either beauty or quality or performance, must be asap removed and replaced.
I will maintain original full exhaust and at some point of time ahead I, will install a slipon that will compromise neither quality and performance, nor the looks... Something like titanium oval from possibly either Akrapovic, Arrow or Remus (they all produce a full rich bass pretty nice sound nothing like MIG). Which of three would you recommend ?
Sorry totally off topic.

Does anyone else think this Chick sounds Hot!

Old 09-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #13
marcaztls
I eat my R1

You're right, Akrapovic do not make a high-level pipe. Their official line (after speaking to them, I'm a dealer in the UK) is that high level pipes generally produce less power...
marcaztls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:40 AM   #14
BandyR1

Quote:
Personally, I like the sound of the akra even tho its not a high mount. I beleive they dont make a high mount..someone call me out if Im wrong.

Yeah sure sounds great that's for sure and even if there isn't any high mount model I wouldn't really mind. Arrow makes high mount and it also sounds good. They even have a street-legal version.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #15
BandyR1

Quote:
Originally posted by marcaztls
You're right, Akrapovic do not make a high-level pipe. Their official line (after speaking to them, I'm a dealer in the UK) is that high level pipes generally produce less power...
Hi marcaztls, let me ask something ok ? Since you are a dealer, you are sure in position to help me on this.
I will most probably install Akrapovic but I don't like that new muffler design, which is in your avatar. I definitely prefer the traditional previous can. oval. If I order a slipon from Akra for my bike, how can I make sure I wont receive the new muffler ? Are the models distinguished by name, code, or how ?
I want oval, titanium (with midpipe perhaps) but DEFINITELY the former style. What must I order ?
Thanks for info about high level pipes, very useful, I didn't know that.

Thanks...
Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
cyclepsycho7
R1, "A Superior Addiction"

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally posted by marcaztls
I guess thats why all the new bikes are going from under tail to low mount but I'll give up a little HP for looks. I'm not a pro racer.
cyclepsycho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
pjb84
YOU LIKE THAT, DONT YOU?

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclepsycho7
I guess thats why all the new bikes are going from under tail to low mount but I'll give up a little HP for looks. I'm not a pro racer.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #18
marcaztls
I eat my R1

Hey there BandyR1, there's no specific model name for the old-style muffler, but they refer to the new one (in my avatar) as 'hexagonal' Just don't mention that and you should end up with the style you want.

I believe for what you are after, the part number will be S-Y10SO5T-HT That's for a slip-on to standard headers, oval, road legal and with a titanium link pipe. The can will feature a removeable baffle should you need it for trackdays etc. Obviously check this with whoever you order it through as they may use their own part numbers. Very good choice

Last edited by marcaztls; 09-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #19
marcaztls
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclepsycho7
Very true I imagine. And both yours and pjb84's bikes look gorgeous with the pipes you have
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #20
BandyR1

Hello marcaztls this is BandyR1.
Thanks for help. You are most kind. Provided info very useful.
thanks for approving choice too.
Best Regards.

Last edited by BandyR1; 09-28-2006 at 11:04 AM.
BandyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement