When to replace "Cylinder" not head gasket? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

04-06 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 04-06 R1

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
cycleman_55427
My R1 eats me.

Question When to replace "Cylinder" not head gasket?

I removed my cylinder head and cylinder head gasket. I then noticed the gasket for the cylinders. I thought the cylinder case must be bolted down from the lower case - nope. So the question becomes, is that a compression gasket, should it be replaced at the same time as the head gasket, and if so, can it really be done from top side of the motor and still get the pistons back into the cylinders.

Also, I have seen several threads here relating to cylinder heads and gaskets. In my case the reason I removed the cylinder head was because water was leaking down the oil galley in the front of the motor - the head gasket seemed like a logical cause for my 5000 mile '04 R1 problem. Is there something else about these head gaskets that I should be made aware?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by cycleman_55427; 03-12-2008 at 08:51 PM.
cycleman_55427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets

Bikes: 05 Raven #8734, 2011 S1000RR
you can just bolt it down again & you should be fine. you can't change the "base" gasket without removing the cylinders from the pistons. believe me it is not something you want to do without a good reason.

I agree with you that the head gasket would be the likely cause for water in the oil. unless maybe it's leaking from the pump?

I've never seen a head gasket go bad either though (on this model) so I'm curious to see what you find out. keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcaztls View Post
I just want to stroke it all the time. (For you BSR )
BSR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
cycleman_55427
My R1 eats me.

Thumbs up

Thanks for responding. No concerns about oil leaking around that cylinder gasket?

I removed the oil pan and pressurized the cooling system and I could see the water coming through the oil galley - I too was wondering if the water could be coming from the water/oil pump, oil cooler, or a water hose/line/pipe seal. Nice to see Yamaha got rid of those inlet seals at the top of the motor.

When I was removing the cylinder head bolts it so happens that the bolt nearest the water intake was much more loose than the others. I suspect it is an assembly issue. I have my fingers crossed there isn't a hairline crack or manufacturing defect on the cylinder case. I see they drilled that oil galley hole which passes near the water jacket and it doesn't look like it was done very well. Looks like the drill bit was not lined up well.

Causes me concern because my '02 had a manufacturing defect in the oil cooler which failed and passed water in to the motor and burned up the head, my '97 had a casting defect in the main case, which caused oil to drain out the side of it. So I hope my dumb luck isn't continuing with this '04.

Last edited by cycleman_55427; 03-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets

that does sound like they are selling you all the bad ones! better you than me!

I've never had a problem getting any of them to seal up again after being loosened/tightened.

let me know if proper tightening helps. you do have the torque specs/tightening sequence?

Quote:
Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
cycleman_55427
My R1 eats me.

That is good to know, thanks again. I have seen some posts about Copper Coat, is that recommended for a new head gasket?

Yup, I have the factory manual and good tools - I rebuilt my '02 to factory specs and surprisingly it runs. If I wasn't qualified to be dangerous before, I am now.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
BSR-1
burnin' up the streets

I know what you mean, I know just enough to be dangerous!

copper coat certainly won't hurt, I use it.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
811Racer
NESBA CR / WERA #811

Bikes: 09 & 04 R1
Cycleman - I am having a similar problem with loosing water from the cooling system, except I can't figure out where it is going. Seems I am only loosing water when hot and perhaps it is burning off. How did you pressurize the cooling system? is this something I can build?

Also, how difficult is replacing the head gasket? A couple guys seem to believe I have a blown head gasket and it will need replaced.
811Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement