Dawn Soap VS. Car Wash Soap : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
AZRider
"Sorry babe,payload is 120lbs"

Bikes: Crossplane Raper
Dawn Soap VS. Car Wash Soap

Whats your opinion on using dish washing soap (Dawn) or car wash soap? I use Dawn and have had no problems with it on any of my vehicles. The car guys always tell you to not use it on paint but I haven't any experience to tell me differently.

Any die-hard car wash soap fans out there?
AZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Whats your opinion on using dish washing soap (Dawn) or car wash soap? I use Dawn and have had no problems with it on any of my vehicles. The car guys always tell you to not use it on paint but I haven't any experience to tell me differently.

Any die-hard car wash soap fans out there?
EVERY dish soap has abrasives in it to clean pots and pans. No matter how gentle it says it is, over time it will swirl your paint and ruin your clear coat. Just use a real car wash soap and you'll avoid that.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Vexzer
schwantzing through the hills

Bikes: '06 R1
Stay Away From Dish Soap!
It will etch your paint. I ruined finishes for years until I started using automotive & bike washes. The automotive/bike specific stuff is so much better. You really don't use that much anyway so you are not really saving much. Try Miracle Shine. Good for paint & plastic, helmet too.
Vexzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Lutefisk69
I hate criminals

Bikes: 2003 R1 Silver...Stolen. 2003 R1 Silver...Out riding
Dish soap is bad. as manowar said: abrasives. it can take the clear coat right off.
2003 R1 Liquid Silver. K&N air Filter, Greggs Custom Flushies, Carbon levers, Scotts Steering Damper, Graves Velocity Stacks, Corbin Seat, Gorilla Alarm, Gilles Rearsets in Noir, Integrated Taillight, Shogun Double Bubble Chrome windshield, M4 High Mount Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Power Commander III, Fat Guy in a Lawn Chair with a Gun waiting for the next thief to try to take my bike
Lutefisk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
DavidGS
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2000 R1
Dawn cuts grease. Do you know what wax is? It's a grease. If you had put on wax over your paint, the dishwashing soap just ate it right off.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
Speed_Devil
Aces and Eights

Bikes: 2007 GSXR1000
Too many specific car/bike soaps out there to mess with a dish soap. Not to mention that the car soaps are cheaper anyway. Anyone use or like that S100 cycle wash stuff?

Sig. curteousy of PCP @ GFN
http://www.myspace.com/speed_devil_doug
Speed_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Klo1320
R1 Addiction

Bikes: Blue 04 R1
learned the hard way that dish soap does it's job too well.

I need some of those stickers that make my bike faster.......

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Klo1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
vitrox
AK Road Racer

Bikes: 08 R1, 09 FZ6R, 10 S1000rr
dish soap doesn't strip clear coat.. wtf?

you should wash your vehicle with dawn if you plan on switching waxes. This is to strip off all the old stuff. Thats the only time you should be using it.
vitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 AM   #9
Devil1
R1-011 Wolfpack C/O

Bikes: 06 50th
Yeah I've never heard it eats clear coat. I do KNOW that it WILL take all the wax off.

Sig by Petrol Spice
TEAM:
SO FAST SO CLEAN

Godspeed Chad "Gawarrior" Clifton - June 25, 2008
Devil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
jocky
I eat my R1

Bikes: Current: '98 R1 Past: YZF-750R, TDR 250, GPX-750, KMX 125, RD 125 LC, XT 125, XS 1100S, XL 125
I've always used car wash because I was told that dish washing liquid was to harsh for the paintwork. I use Autoglym products and have always been impressed with the finish. Their Paint Renovator is particularly good at removing light scratches and glazed spots in the clear coat.

Winston: "But I shall be sober in the morning and you, madam, will still be ugly. "
jocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
Wieb27
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1 (Blue)
Plain and simple...dish soap removes wax. If you don't like a nice finish on your bike over time, continue using it. Way back I used to be an auto-detailer at a car dealership and that came up more than once with various experts and they said the same thing.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #12
CosmoK
Luv ya blue!

Bikes: 2012 R1 & 2011 RSV4 Factory
Stay away from dish soap. I work for a huge chemical company and I can tell you w/o a doubt it is harmful to you finish.Stick with products intended for your bike/car.
CosmoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWAR@ View Post
EVERY dish soap has abrasives in it to clean pots and pans. No matter how gentle it says it is, over time it will swirl your paint and ruin your clear coat. Just use a real car wash soap and you'll avoid that.

Dawn is NOT abrasive in the least. Dawn is a CHEMICAL cleaner, not an abrasive cleaner. Yes, it is true, Dawn will strip wax if used properly, that is old news. Dawn is not harmful to paint unless it is left bare/unprotected, (no fresh coat of wax, or synthetic sealant after thoroughly cleaning, thus leaving paint exposed) meaning that in time, due to weather, paint will oxidize. Oxidation is NOT directly caused by washing your car with Dawn, it caused by bare paint being exposed to the elements over time.

If I were to detail a car that was as dirty as the chick in Kevaps avatar, swirled to all hell, it wouldn't hurt a bloody thing to use Dawn dishwashing soap. A car that has been negleted for years, and exposed to the elements, will fall victim to bonded and embedded contaminants.

Dawn just may make the job easier of removing the bonded contaminents. The fact that Dawn strips wax is irrelevant, as in the case of a really dirty car, I would thoroughly wash it, then use detailing clay to remove bonded contaminents, use a compound, and or paint polish to remove defects depending upon how bad the defects are, optional glaze and then protect the finish with a wax, or synthetic sealant.

Dawn being bad for paint is an old wives tail. As long as the finish is waxed afterward, it wont oxidize. The act of using Dawn to clean paint is not in any way, shape or form harmful to paint. I will say that it is possible that Dawn may dry out plastic moldings, or trim, but it is ok to use Dawn a couple of times a year.

You use the shit on your hands everytime you wash your dishes right? Your hands don't get all messed up do they? The company that manufacture's Dawn wouldn't manufacture a product that was harmful and toxic to be used on your own skin everyday now would they. As a matter of fact, Dawn is 99% non-toxic.

I will say it one more time... Dawn is NOT abrasive. If you don't believe me, go to your kitchen, and put a drop of Dawn, or any concentrated, grease cutting dishwashing soap on your finger and rub it againts your thumb as HARD as you can.

You feel any heat.......

Dawn is hard on paint.... thats too fvckin funny

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #14
yankin&bankin
Squid

Bikes: '01 YZ-250,'02 YZ-250, '04 919 (Sold) '05 R1 (Sold) '07 R1
There is no question that dishwashing soap contains abrasives.
yankin&bankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
yokedup05
YOU WILL LOSE

Bikes: BLUE '06
I use dish wash soap on all my vehicles and have never had a problem but then again I keep them waxed regularly-every 6-8 weeks-sometime less. Everytime I wash the bike I wax it so...moot point for me. Besides the soap is so watered down I doubt any harm could come to the finish especially the clearcoat... Racer Dude sounds like you've detailed some cars in your time. I did that for about 12 years--clay,compound ,polish,wax
yokedup05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankin&bankin View Post

There is no question that dishwashing soap contains abrasives.

An abrasive is a material, often a mineral, that is used to shape or finish a workpiece through rubbing which leads to part of the workpiece being worn away. While finishing a material often means polishing it to gain a smooth, reflective surface it can also involve roughening as in satin, matte or beaded finishes.

Abrasives are extremely commonplace and are used very extensively in a wide variety of industrial, domestic, and technological applications. This gives rise to a large variation in the physical and chemical composition of abrasives as well as the shape of the abrasive. Common uses for abrasives include grinding, polishing, buffing, honing, cutting, drilling, sharpening and sanding.

Files act by abrasion but are not classed as abrasives as they are a shaped bar of metal. However, diamond files are a form of coated abrasive (as they are metal rods coated with diamond powder).

Abrasives give rise to a form of wound called an abrasion or even an excoriation. Abrasions may arise following strong contract with surfaces made with things such as concrete, stone, wood, carpet and roads, though these surfaces are not intended for use as abrasives.

Abrasive devices/fine milled abrasives/compounds/polishes are classified as ''Mechanical''.

Dawn is NOT an abrasive, Dawn is a surfactant. Surfactants, also known as tensides, are wetting agents that lower the surface tension of a liquid, allowing easier spreading, and lower the interfacial tension between two liquids.

The term surfactant is a blend of "surface acting agent". Surfactants are usually organic compounds that are amphiphilic, meaning they contain both hydrophobic groups (their "tails") and hydrophilic groups (their "heads"). Therefore, they are soluble in both organic solvents and water. The term surfactant was coined by Antara Products in 1950.

Surfactants reduce the surface tension of water by adsorbing at the liquid-gas interface. They also reduce the interfacial tension between oil and water by adsorbing at the liquid-liquid interface.

The car care industry is full of chemicals for cleaning. Detailing chemicals are mixtures of different ingredients formulated to do a particular job. The most common chemical functions include surfactants, solvents, wetting agents, saponifiers and chelators.

Every cleaner needs a solvent to dissolve soil. The most common solvent is one you might not even think of... water. Some solvents, such as mineral spirits, work great on grease and oil.

Surfectants and solvents are classified as ''Chemical Cleaners'' (Not Mechanical)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokedup05 View Post

I did that for about 12 years--clay, compound, polish, wax

I have been into detailing my own cars since around 1990. I started getting in depth around 2000, and have learned a lot over the past 4 years since I have had the S2000. Compared to spending several days detailing an entire car, (defect removal, polishing, going into extensive detail) the R1 is a walk in the Park

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
rtpassini
I eat my R1

Bikes: 02 R1
i wax my bike everytime i wash it.
rtpassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
vitrox
AK Road Racer

Bikes: 08 R1, 09 FZ6R, 10 S1000rr
my truck usually takes a whole day to clean when I start.. wash, clay, wash again, polish, wash again, wax.
vitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
LiveFastR1
Adrenaline Junkie

I've use a teaspoon of dish soap every time, on everything Ive owned...no problems.
LiveFastR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement