broken foot-bone, no health-insurance...go to Doctor? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Grey Ghost R1
Drink Sparks, Die Young.

Bikes: 04 R1
broken foot-bone, no health-insurance...go to Doctor?

Well the title says it all. I fell off in Turn 1 at Putnam today and took a tumble. Legs got pretty twisted up. Strained right calf, right ICL is painful, and my left angle is tore up. My buddy who is a wilderness first responder says that based on the localized swelling and amount of pain (I'm unable to walk on it) that I broke a bone in the top of the foot near the ankle. I'm at home in bed now, and I'm just starting Fall Break tommorow so I have a week to recover. Also, my buddy is getting me his boots from when he just broke his tib-fib. So, is there any particular reason I should go to the Doctor? Or are they just going to send me a bill for $15,000 to tell me to stay off it?

Ducati 748/996
Ducati M750
Grey Ghost R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
rtpassini
I eat my R1

Bikes: 02 R1
GO TO THE DOC. you could seriously **** up your bones if they dont heal up right. this is something where being in debt is a must. a regular doctor bill is USUALLY around 100 bucks. obviously they will need to take an xray. just call up and see how much it will cost and get on a payment plan.

also, you're going to miss work im assuming...you will need the doc note
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Angrywasp
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2001 Zuki TL1000R
Get the foot checked by a doc. When I broke my tib-fib in my wreck I broke one of the bones in the top of my foot too. They didn't do anything for it but they were more concerned with the reassembly of my bones, muscle grafts, and skin grafts so that they wouldn't have to amputate my lower leg. I slipped at my house a few weeks later and the bone came out of alignment (and I didn't get it checked but saw it later in the new xrays). It made walking after my tib-fib healed a lot harder to do. It would irritate the tendons/ligaments to the point I couldn't walk. After 3 years it's a lot better but will still act up sometimes. Play it safe and get it checked.
Angrywasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)
I'll go devils advocate and say just walk it off like a man.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
lexanidubs09
Getting ready for track!

Bikes: 07 gixxer 600, 05 R1
go to the doc. seriously man, im a person that doesn't go to the doctor i dread it... i broke my ankle (pretty severe break) when i was about 13 and i was supposed to stay completely off of it for 6 months... i thought it was BS so i walked on it... now im 21 and my ankle hurts more now than it did when i broke it... my bones never aligned properly and all the do is grind on each other now... so because i didn't take the proper care when i was 13 i will have to have surgery within the next couple years to fix it

on a lighter note glad your still ok for the most part

|R1-014 Dragon Squadron|Member # 09|
Covering: West/SW USA: CA, HI, NV, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverWiKiD View Post
Not that I want to be your dad, but there is the chance that I am.Chances are higher that David is the culprit. He had exact change so he went first.
TEAM SNACH

My 2010 Season Sponsors

Junito70-Bodywork
Socal05R1-Hardparts & Gear
Grom111-Grom photography
Bgesch- Everything
DavidSFC- Alcohol & Bunny Food
Pimp - Track
Deja Vu Showgirls- "M"oral support
lexanidubs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Sal_R1
Banned

Bikes: 02 Matt Black Streetfighter R1
At the very least find the closest free clinic to you and have them take a look!
Sal_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
junito70
Jehovah is watching

Bikes: 2012 BMW S1000RR, Raven R1 given to my brother
GO to doc don't play with your health.
R1-014/Dragon Squadron/ Member #70
junito70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
All Smiles
Habs for life

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver (sold) 2007 R1 Charcoal
Go to the doctor, as you only have 2 feet (guessing). But being up here it would cost me the bus fare to get there $2.75

Gotta love the health care
Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
Klo1320
R1 Addiction

Bikes: Blue 04 R1
sent you a pm

I need some of those stickers that make my bike faster.......

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Klo1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
ViperRy
Riding dirt for the winter

Bikes: 07 R1 Track bike. Previous: Silver 04 & 2 Blue 04 R1s, 01 R6. Extras: YFZ450, CR85R Expert pitbike, Seadoo RXP Supercharged
seriously dude, hit the docs office. It may come back and haunt you down the road... even if you get health insurance then they won't cover previous injuries so you're SOL anyways. Not that you need a lecture, but wtf are you doing on the track w/o health insurance. My get off at barber which wasn't too severe would have cost me 10k w/o health insurance. Plus the hospitals charge you so much more than the service is actually worth. I found out that my insurance company settled to only pay %65 of the bill due to set nat'l avg. for each service.

Last edited by ViperRy; 10-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.
ViperRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
jnybbad
I eat my R1

I cant believe that the track day promoter would let you ride without health insurance. I also cannot believe that you would ride a track day without it or some way to pay for your care if and when you went down.

That being said go to the doctor, money cannot replace a life long limp and living with pain if you really messed something up.
jnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
ROCKSTAR949
does it really matter

Bikes: 05 R1
go to the doc i tried to "suck it up" and now i need surgery on something that could have been fixed with some physical therapy

Team S.D.M.

R.I.P. Nicky I miss you more than any words could describe
R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
ROCKSTAR949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
vitrox
AK Road Racer

Bikes: 08 R1, 09 FZ6R, 10 S1000rr
goto canada, free health care. or cuba.
| 2008 R1 | Akrapovic Ti/Carbon Full Exhaust | Bazzaz ZFi-TC w/Z-AFM | Driven Clipons | Shogun Sliders | Cleverwolf Tank Protector | Vortex Rearsets | Brembo 19x18,19x20 MC | Spiegler Brake Lines | Hyperpro RSC Damper | -1+2 Stealth Sprockets | RK Gold 520 Chain | Ohlins TTX | Ohlins 25mm | Graves Case Covers | Armour Bodies | Dunlops |
vitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #14
rorlow
Cheating death in the "D"

Bikes: Silver/Gray 02
take this stuborn old farts advise-

I had a crash several years ago and I never went to the doctor because I figured if I can walk on it . . . it must not be bad. Well it was . . . I fractured my tib & fib, and because I continued to walk on it, I ended up with a bone infection, because it was trying to heal the fractures but was continuousely agitated by the movement. I ended up in so much pain I almost wished they'd cut the sucker off

Take the financial hit & go see a doctor, trust me you don't need any unforeseen complications down the road

rorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #15
SydneyR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: GSX-R1000 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrox View Post
goto canada, free health care. or cuba.
Or anywhere else in the free world.
SydneyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #16
clos02
just a little road rash

You dont want to be screwed up down the road go see the doc. yes it might be expensive but at least youll know youre treating the injury properly
Old 10-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #17
Skeeter
Forum Moderator

Bikes: '06 Raven R6
I slammed the ground pretty hard after my high side on the track in '06. I actually think the bike landed on my right foot. Corner workers came over to help me and then came the track ambulance. It hurt and I couldn't put much pressure on it. Once I got back to my home town we stopped at the ER. Come to find it was broken in four places and I dislocated three toes. I ended up having two surgeries on it with pins and rods put in. To this day it's still numb in certain spots. Don't take chances. Go get it X-Rayed. Also, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but riding the track without any type of health insurance is not very smart. I know of several guys who bought it pretty hard at Jennings GP much worse than you did and had no insurance and they ended up living a nightmare.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #18
albertg
I eat my R1

Ditto what everyone else said...I am a DC by training...there are way too many issues here that can go terribly wrong (eg. bone, nerves, tendon, ligaments, infection, your future gait (walk)). Go to the clinic if you have to...tell them it's out of pocket. Most important...get an xray series to determne the bone damage to your foot/leg...a series is a few xray pics at different angles...this is a must...especially with a foot injury. You may heal up fine without care, but then have problems down the road...like not being able to walk...git er done...
albertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #19
Grey Ghost R1
Drink Sparks, Die Young.

Bikes: 04 R1
I found out that the student health center has an X-Ray machine, so I'm going into today to get some photos done. We'll see what happens from there. My right knee hurts worse than the foot/ankle today, so I probably need a ****ing MRI. This is going to suck.

RE: the health insurance thing, I didn't think health insurance would cover injuries sustained at the track in any case.

Ducati 748/996
Ducati M750
Grey Ghost R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
vitrox
AK Road Racer

Bikes: 08 R1, 09 FZ6R, 10 S1000rr
thats what its for, what good would health insurance be if you never get hurt doing stupid stuff.
| 2008 R1 | Akrapovic Ti/Carbon Full Exhaust | Bazzaz ZFi-TC w/Z-AFM | Driven Clipons | Shogun Sliders | Cleverwolf Tank Protector | Vortex Rearsets | Brembo 19x18,19x20 MC | Spiegler Brake Lines | Hyperpro RSC Damper | -1+2 Stealth Sprockets | RK Gold 520 Chain | Ohlins TTX | Ohlins 25mm | Graves Case Covers | Armour Bodies | Dunlops |
vitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement