Valvoline Motorcycle Oil - Any Good? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Mad German
Bald headed dork

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity
Valvoline Motorcycle Oil - Any Good?

I was at Advanced Auto Parts the other day, picking up a Purolator filter for my bike (2008 R1) when I noticed the Valvoline motorcycle oil on the shelf. I picked some up because it was Sunday and the dealers were closed (no Yamalube). Because I only have about 1,300 miles on the bike, I am still using dino oil until I hit the 2,500-3,000 mile mark.

Anyway, this oil says it?s OK for wet clutches, and is supposed to be motorcycle specific, so I?m assuming it?s OK to use, right? Anyone else use Valvoline motorcycle oil? Any issues with it? How?s it compare to other dino oils out there? Should I use it or take it back and get Yamalube?

Thanks!
Mad German is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
yankin&bankin
Squid

Bikes: '01 YZ-250,'02 YZ-250, '04 919 (Sold) '05 R1 (Sold) '07 R1
It is a myth that synthetic oil will prevent proper break-in of an engine.

If it were the case, then why do so many motorcycles AND automobiles come from the OEM with synthetic oil in their crankcases?

The single biggest factor in break-in is to vary speed and gear, being careful not to drone down the interstate at a constant speed for two hours on your way home from the dealership.

I hear this all the time on weekend rides: "Oh, I'll have to hang back, I'm still breaking my bike in." Well, the best way to break a new bike in is a spirited ride through a set of twisty roads, varying speed, throttle, gear, etc. No where in my manual does it say not to exceed a certain RPM or speed. It doesn't even tell me not to redline the engine.

All it says is not to hold it wide open for prolonged periods of time.

Don't abuse the engine, but give it some throttle. Ride it (almost) like you're gonna ride it.

Last edited by yankin&bankin; 11-04-2008 at 09:34 AM.
yankin&bankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Skeeter
Forum Moderator

Bikes: '06 Raven R6
It's good stuff. I ran it in my '03 R1 and put it in my '06 R6 before going to full synthetic on both bikes. No problems what so ever. Which Purolator filter did you get? It should be the PL 14612 {blue one}.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
jhelmuth
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankin&bankin View Post
It is a myth that synthetic oil will prevent proper break-in of an engine.

If it were the case, then why do so many motorcycles AND automobiles come from the OEM with synthetic oil in their crankcases?

The single biggest factor in break-in is to vary speed and gear, being careful not to drone down the interstate at a constant speed for two hours on your way home from the dealership.

I hear this all the time on weekend rides: "Oh, I'll have to hang back, I'm still breaking my bike in." Well, the best way to break a new bike in is a spirited ride through a set of twisty roads, varying speed, throttle, gear, etc. No where in my manual does it say not to exceed a certain RPM or speed. It doesn't even tell me not to redline the engine.

All it says is not to hold it wide open for prolonged periods of time.

Don't abuse the engine, but give it some throttle. Ride it (almost) like you're gonna ride it.

04 Blue Mods: A&R race baffles | CAT gut | ceramic exhaust | K&N filter | Grave Velocity Stacks | Roth Block-off plates | PCIII usb | NGK Iridium plugs | Water Wetter | Spiegler SS Brake lines | FE with LED kit | Custom Black CF comfort seat | LED Flushies | Speedo healer | Shogun Sliders | Solo seat cowl | Blue LED underlighting | Vortex gas cap | Harri's Grips | Deltran Battery tender
jhelmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
1longR1
Ghostrider Squadron

Bikes: 00 r1 now 04
personally not fan of valvoline, but thats just me. prolly great oil. if its motorcyle specific even better. never used it, but had buddy with big block race car, that it would turn to water after one pass. watched him change it...so my opinion doesnt count!!! LOL try it, dont think it will be bad, just keep eye on it to see if it thins out quickly or turns black quickly. but dont think it will be problem.

2000 Turbo Hayabusa Streetbike Shootout Bike. Velocity Racing Turbo
2004 YAMAHA R1 extended arm, schnitz progressive controller 217 r.w.h.p. dyno run on nitrous
R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron
1longR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Mad German
Bald headed dork

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
It's good stuff. I ran it in my '03 R1 and put it in my '06 R6 before going to full synthetic on both bikes. No problems what so ever. Which Purolator filter did you get? It should be the PL 14612 {blue one}.
Skeeter-

It's the PurOne PL14612, but it's not blue, the new style. It's yellowish in color, but has a grippy texture to it, making it easier to remove. It's about 1/4" longer than the stock Yamaha filter.
Mad German is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Skeeter
Forum Moderator

Bikes: '06 Raven R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattack View Post
Skeeter-

It's the PurOne PL14612, but it's not blue, the new style. It's yellowish in color, but has a grippy texture to it, making it easier to remove. It's about 1/4" longer than the stock Yamaha filter.

They must have updated them, but this is the correct one. I use it on my '06 R6 too.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
stuntjester1
What Cop?

Bikes: 06 R1 & 10 WR250X
i rock it my 06 no problems, change it every 3,000-4,000 miles depend how hard i ride. no problems!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
BLK JDM
Gold Forks!

Bikes: 12 ZX-10R, 12 R6
When I got laid off I couldn't see spending $80+ on the Repsol and OEM Yamaha filter for my 06 R1. So I searched on the forums and found a thread that had all the comparable off the shelf filters. A friend had already told me that most AutoZones carry motorcycle specific motor oil. So I went in and saw that they had the Valvoline 10w-40 4 stroke motorcycle oil. I got 4 quarts of oil, a Mobil 1 oil filter, and a bottle of brake cleaner for $34. I've had this setup on my bike and it runs great, temps are the same as w/ the Repsol oil, and shifts are perfect. I was out this weekend running extremely hard w/o any provlems. The oil still looks good.

I figured it would be like the Motul I used to run-which I didn't like. The shifts were hard and the oil would turn black fast w/ the Motul. Not the case w/ the Valvoline-I'm very impressed. Shifts like butter, engine temps are consistent, and doesn't seem to burn off. I'm still a fan of the Repsol but for 1/2 the price the Valvoline does the job.
BLK JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
Sal_R1
Banned

Bikes: 02 Matt Black Streetfighter R1
I ran $0.99 quart Pep Boys oil in a Triumph for over 80K! Zero issues!
BTW, The first 60K i ran full synthetic!
Sal_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 2006 Gixxer 1000
I've been running it in my last 5 bikes and love it.
802452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement