R1 easy to learn on? - Page 2 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Technique & Riding Want to kneescrape? Go faster in corners? Smoother riding? Anything about how to ride goes in here please.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
JDollaz
Rebel w/ a Cause

Yeah, EZ to learn on.... NOT....

Sig Provided by : The Artist formerly know as Petrol !
JDollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #22
Fer
I eat my R1

Bikes: '07 Candy Red

Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #23
jdaniel
My R1 eats others.

Bikes: 2006 R1, 2009 CBR600rr
If you are really interested in learning how to ride, pick up a used SV650 and sign up for MSF/trackschool/trackday and you will learn a ton and have fun plus its alot cheaper.
If you just want to have a cool bike and impress your friends then the R1 is the bike for that. Just like anything with the potential to kill you, treat it with respect. You wouldn't teach someone how to drive in a ferrari would you?
The key here is are you interested in learning or just having a cool bike.

2:49.9
jdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #24
hayaboosta
No Comment ...

Bikes: Y2K6 ourone
my bike is a little rough around the edges, but i sure as heck wouldn't teach someone how to ride on it.. my throttle feels like an on/off switch, cold tire spin up, clutch is a little touchy

381 RIP Grandpa - 8-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayaboosta View Post
Then again, im a moron and have no idea what im talking about half the time (true story!)
hayaboosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #25
Dark_
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

Quote:
my bike is a little rough around the edges, but i sure as heck wouldn't teach someone how to ride on it.. my throttle feels like an on/off switch, cold tire spin up, clutch is a little touchy
Sounds like you're lacking in some maintenance.

My throttle is smooth, doesn't stick, and surely doesn't resemble an on/off switch.
My tires grip perfectly fine, even when they're cold (50*F+).
I'm running an OEM clutch with 3 EBC springs and 3 stock, it's not grabby any more than an R6 or smaller engine motorcycle.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #26
steveWFL
I eat my R1

R1, great starter bike...especially for pre-teens
ZZR600 - my girl is learnin'
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #27
hayaboosta
No Comment ...

Bikes: Y2K6 ourone
thats my bad for not being more specific, im running take off's so that's why my tires spin up easily when cold.. and the other things, its how i bought it. ive only got 8,xxx miles on it.. clutch grabs just fine, but for someone just learning that isnt used to slipping the clutch a whole lot ... i wouldnt want them to stall it out and lose their footing and drop it on its side. and the throttle.. that's just below 5% or so throttle, not really an on off switch i guess.. just below that certain % throttle it feels like it.. i dont know, im not good at describing things

381 RIP Grandpa - 8-13-06

Quote:
Then again, im a moron and have no idea what im talking about half the time (true story!)
hayaboosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #28
Dark_
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

lol.

If the potentially new rider has a good grasp on the operation of the clutch, throttle, and brakes along with 'what to do if's then the R1 is almost no different from any other sportbike. Obviously if the new rider grabs a handful of throttle the experience will be much more intense compared to that of a smaller motorcycle.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #29
ryans89notch
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I'm learning all over again and it's on an r1. Big jump from riding a 600 let alone the 1991 fzr I rode for years. WOW! I thought riding the frz was similar to a monkey fuggin a football and vowed my next bike would be a liter class machine. All these years later and now I have one. Hasn't buzzed to the limiter of yet and 80 mph was plenty fast. Respect and fear! I can ride but I can also run up on something to fast and it's all over so...Only live once so, get a r1 if it's what your after and ride responsibly and keep livin!
ryans89notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #30
!YamahaConvert!

as stated above...you may be fine...but...

you will pick up bad habits and wont learn how to carry corner speed as you would on a smaller lighter less powerful bike, trust me as i started on a liter and in a round about way i ended up on a 600 and now moving back to a liter bike...08 Raven for 7500...cant pass it up and i have wanted an R1 for some time anyway...
!YamahaConvert! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #31
1cheapr1
98-03 r1 cheap mod/repair guru

Bikes: 2002 R1... with a few little things done to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
agreed... i think everyone should have an R1... why I might even go as far as to say that you should wear nothing more than shorts, tank top, flip flops, and sun glasses cause R1's are just so damned safe that and it makes you cool
Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #32
steveWFL
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cheapr1 View Post
agreed... i think everyone should have an R1... why I might even go as far as to say that you should wear nothing more than shorts, tank top, flip flops, and sun glasses cause R1's are just so damned safe that and it makes you cool
Yeah, the gear makers will be out of business if the secret about the R1 and its litre bike competitors gets out
ZZR600 - my girl is learnin'
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #33
BadgelessR1
My R1 is good to me

Bikes: 06 R1000
I agree with both views...I started on a 1986 kawi ninja 250 that ran on one cylinder..(out of 2). Now Im on an 06 R1. quite a ****in difference.. I have noticed alot of people(in my town) that ride bikes are complete morons, ego drivin idiots that sit there and bounce off the rev limiter in a parking lot to show bunch of girls "how sick" or "gnarly" his bike is......These are the same morons that die because all they know is: "uhh da gas is on the right and the clutch is on da left"..dumbies just feel the road, understand the law of physics be patient learn slow and dont drop your bike.

Last edited by BadgelessR1; 04-16-2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: spelling
BadgelessR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #34
cadwiz_R1
will RIDE for food

Bikes: 08 R1 (Rebuilt)
I tend to equate the type of bike (super sport / sport / tourer) and the size as a magnifying glass for rider skill level. If you don't have the skill set needed to to operate the clutch or throttle with the finesse required to not die, a smaller less powerful machine will usually be more forgiving. The more powerful the magnifying glass, the more apparent the skill level. So, you can learn on a larger more powerful machine, but the risks associated with the learning curve are greater.

Father Kevin Keaney
1st Marine Division Chaplain
Korean War
cadwiz_R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
Lucky-G
My R1 eats me.

I bought an R1 as my first bike this past Friday for my 21st birthday.

I have been on several 600's before this and they never impressed me and, like several others have said, didn't make me respect the bike. The bike I learned on was a stunt-caged 98 (I believe) 636 with a 15 over sprocket. The 636 never impressed me one bit, as it's speed was all in the gearing.

The R1 forces and commands respect with it's pure power and torque. A lot of reviews I read before purchasing the bike claimed the power band as the weak point. Personally, I find it to be a strength, as you're not in full power from a take-off. I feel like it makes the bike a little easier to ride around town at lower RPM's.

However, when you do grab a fistfull of throttle, it demands the respect of the rider and screams "HANG ON!". To be honest, I bought far more bike than I need, and it actually scares the shit out of me every time I ride it--for now, that's a good thing.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't personally recommend learning on the R1, as I'm doing it now, and it's not easy. I learned how to ride on the aforementioned 636, but this bike has a whole new learning curve!
Lucky-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #36
ryans89notch

Pussy's....The lot of ya!!!

I learned to ride on an 82 cb900f. Oh I had bighorn kawis at 11 or 12 and a kdx 420 that liked to kill me. I'd loved to have learned to drive a supercar as well but??? I did indeed wreck that 900 at the age of 18 and I learned to respect the machine from then on. If you can't drag knees on any bike then I don't feel anyone needs an r1. I think everyone must go to riding school as well to carry an endorsement. Where's the guy that started this thread nowadays? Still suckin air?
ryans89notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #37
TarzanBoy
I eat my R1

It will take you 4x as long to learn on an R1 and it will be twice as dangerous to ride until you learn the basics.

It is NOT an easy bike to make corrections on once you have pointed it (or not pointed it) and have rolled on the throttle.

It is also terrorizing to take up to the twisties until you get somewhat accustomed to the riding position and managing the power at mid-level rpms.

I would fully expect a new rider on an R1 to either:
1. Crash in the mountains
-or-
2. Go about twice as slowly as other new riders on smaller bikes in the mountains.

I'm not an expert or anything but anything more taxing than regular street riding requires rapt attention on the R1
TarzanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement