Does your clutch hand get sore? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
brandin10
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 2005 R1 Shift Red
Does your clutch hand get sore?

Hey Guys

I've been practicing clutch wheelies recently. I've had to stop practicing after 20-30min because my left hand gets sore from trying to slip the clutch. Just wondering if this has happend to any of you. Haven't had much success yet but have had a few good ones. I'm convinced that it's all to do with the timing between clutch and throttle. Any suggestions for me ?

Cheers
brandin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
GAZMTK
all im hearing is LETS GO!

Bikes: 2006 R1 Raven, 2005 R1, 2004 R1 with 2007 running gear, 2x 2007 R1's
You should do some hand exercises or go buy a dirtbike, you will think you in heaven getting back on the R1 after
I will leave the wheelie kings to answer this, I know how to wheelie but I am not a teacher dont want to teach you bad habits... im told its bad to flip off the police
GAZMTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

I jack off every now and then, but my hand never gets sore

Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
GAZMTK
all im hearing is LETS GO!

Bikes: 2006 R1 Raven, 2005 R1, 2004 R1 with 2007 running gear, 2x 2007 R1's
you could go get an hydraulic clutch also, but they aren't cheap and offer no feel
GAZMTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
Lutefisk69
I hate criminals

Bikes: 2003 R1 Silver...Stolen. 2003 R1 Silver...Out riding
try changing where the clutch lever is. You can adjust it so it sits up higher or lower so you are just extending you fingers versus lifting up your fingers which can stress the hand. That make sense? sounds kinda weird but it works for me.
2003 R1 Liquid Silver. K&N air Filter, Greggs Custom Flushies, Carbon levers, Scotts Steering Damper, Graves Velocity Stacks, Corbin Seat, Gorilla Alarm, Gilles Rearsets in Noir, Integrated Taillight, Shogun Double Bubble Chrome windshield, M4 High Mount Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Power Commander III, Fat Guy in a Lawn Chair with a Gun waiting for the next thief to try to take my bike
Lutefisk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
moe-r1ce
the R-1 and only!

Bikes: 02 Yamaha R1
i suggest that you never use the clutch for a wheelie, you have an r1. the power on these bikes are silly! in first gear you should be able to power it up, if your already cruising doing like 50-70 or so drop it in 2nd gear crack it and shift your weight back. it will come up nice and pretty. then shift into 3rd and ride it out. learn to harness the power, don't bust your trans/clutch up!!
moe-r1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
sportenR1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2008 Red and Black R1 (GYTR Carbon Fiber Exhaust)
I am going to have to agree with moe-r1ce. I never use the clutch. First, second (sitting), and third (standing). Give the throttle a good twist and the bike comes right up. If you really do have the R1 there is no clutch involved, the bike has so much power. Now if you have the 6 then yeah you might need it.

"We are beginning a war against terrorism that may take years to win. We do not know where this war will lead us, or what our missions will be after we achieve victory. What we know for sure is that this is our destiny...." General Geofrey Lambert
sportenR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
badandyr_1
RLTW

Bikes: 2003 Yamaha R-1SE (Black w/ Red Flames...the fast one!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutefisk69 View Post
try changing where the clutch lever is. You can adjust it so it sits up higher or lower so you are just extending you fingers versus lifting up your fingers which can stress the hand. That make sense? sounds kinda weird but it works for me.

+1000...........Makes a world of difference when you make sure your clutch is in the right place! While sitting on the bike you should not have to move your wrist in order to work the clutch, makes it less strainful (sp) on your hand and I get better feel.

If Your using nothing but power to wheelie you will be going crazy fast once the wheel gets far enough of the ground to find the blance point, easier and more controlable to use the clutch. IMHO, I still have the stock clutch and transmission in my 03' (now with 74,000 miles) and have never had a problem. And I was the biggest chickenshit when I was first learning wheelies!

Just remember, here in Florida a wheelie will get you a $1000 fine and if your like me, depending of the LEO's mood, your first 3rd. degree felony! Happy motoring, and RIDE SAFE!

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
http://www.myspace.com/badandyr_1

IF YOU CAN READ THIS...THANK A TEACHER...IF IT'S IN ENGLISH...THANK A SOLDIER!
badandyr_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Heath_256NORTH
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Power Wheelies are lame. If you're serious about it and want a easier pull, get a MSR Pro-Raptor with a shorty lever.

hg
Heath_256NORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
AsianInvasian69
My R1 is faster than yours

Bikes: 2008 R1 black and beautiful, 2005 636 streetfighter/daily beater
your forearm will get tired

dont power wheelie.....its what people do until people actually learn to wheelie

the r1 as a heavy clutch since most of the newer literbikes uses a hydraulic clutch but the r1 doesnt

when you get better at wheelies youll actually pull less wheelies they will just be longer ....

when i started learning id practice for a few hours and pull a few hundred down this long straight but after i started getting better i rode them out longer

also put as little weight on the bars as possible it will keep you from wearing out your arms

also it gets easier because you will build up more muscle

05 636 streetfighter- exrace bike with atown cage, gpr damper,arata slipon, pc3, -1 +4 and tons of fun
AsianInvasian69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
brandin10
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 2005 R1 Shift Red
Thanks for the help guys. I'm just gonna keep practicing and growing bigger balls. LOL

Cheers
brandin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
steveWFL
I eat my R1

get real levers.
ZZR600 - my girl is learnin'
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
lastlapracer302
4th gear wheelies ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe-r1ce View Post
i suggest that you never use the clutch for a wheelie, you have an r1. the power on these bikes are silly! in first gear you should be able to power it up, if your already cruising doing like 50-70 or so drop it in 2nd gear crack it and shift your weight back. it will come up nice and pretty. then shift into 3rd and ride it out. learn to harness the power, don't bust your trans/clutch up!!

Wow, don't ever give advise again... EVER... Obviously you cannot wheelie or you wouldnt be suggesting that.....

It just takes practice to learn the feeling of the clutch when wheelying. But it'll come up in all gears with the right finesse. Stock gearing I can pull 3rd up at 35-50 mph and 4th gear at 60 or so...

2007 Yamaha R1- stock with exhaust
2007 KTM450SXF- race bike.
2007 Pitster Pro- BROKEN

2006 TORCS Sport 15-29 Champion
lastlapracer302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement