Straighten front wheel and handlebar alignment : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

How To's Please post your detailed How To's threads in here. They'll be of big help to owners of the R1.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
superslowR1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2005 R1
Straighten front wheel and handlebar alignment

I went down on my bike and now the wheel points to the left when the bars are straight. How can I correct this, or does it mean the forks are bent? I loosened all the allens holding the forks in place except the ones at the bottom by the axle. Does anyone know for sure if I can move these tubes to straighten the front end or do I have to replace it?
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Sgtnavytiger
My R1 eats me.

I have had the same problem on my 99 R1. However, long before I bought my R1, i had this problem on my many dirtbikes. I fixed it by moving the front wheel of the bike next to a tree, (or in the case of a street bike, the side of my garage) and aligning it so the front TIRE was touching, not the rim! I then would pull/push on the handle bars in the correct direction to straighten the alignment. This has worked for me and it may work for you...
Sgtnavytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
KMac
SuperModerateur

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Loosen the upper and lower triple clamps, the pinch bolts on the axles and the axle. You should be able to free up the whole front end enough to allow it to relieve whatever is bound up causing the mis-alignment. If this doesn't do it, something is bent: either tube(s), lower triple, or upper triple. I lowsided at the track and had the exact same problem. I loosened everything, turned each tube back and forth a little just to make sure they were broken free from the clamps, shook it back and forth and it was all re-centered again.

Now, if you just feel the need to set it up against a tree and whale on it, more power to you. Good luck with that.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Sgtnavytiger
My R1 eats me.

Well, if you carry an toolbox through the woods with you, that would work... Both processes accomplish the same goals, without being hard on the equipment. I suppose if you loosen all of the bolts, give it some shakes and it still doesn't work, i would try using some force (not whaling on it). Even though the upper and lower triple clamps as well as the pinch bolts on the wheel are all loose, and you squeak the forks back and fourth, doesn't mean that the clamps aren't still pinching the forks.

Last edited by Sgtnavytiger; 05-03-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Sgtnavytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
KMac
SuperModerateur

For a dirt bike, what you're describing is fair game. But I just don't see that method as something I would do, or recommend doing, to a street bike. At the very least he needs to find out if something is bent.

And if the clamps are all loose, how can they be pinching the forks? And if they are, I already stated that if the front is still off there is either something wrong with the triples or the forks. Obviously it could be a few other things but it would have to be one helluva low side to do that, and there would surely be other damage as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
superslowR1

FIXED! One fork tube was bent....thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
KMac
SuperModerateur

How did you fix a bent fork tube?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
superslowR1

replaced both fork tubes
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
superslowR1

Oh yeah it was one helluva low side I broke my back in 4 spots!! The bike was a little more messed up than just the tubes but its all just about back together
Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
KMac
SuperModerateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslowR1 View Post
Oh yeah it was one helluva low side I broke my back in 4 spots!! The bike was a little more messed up than just the tubes but its all just about back together
DAMN!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
JDollaz
Rebel w/ a Cause

Damn, man.. Glad you pulled throguh.

Got any crash pix ?

Sig Provided by : The Artist formerly know as Petrol !
JDollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
V-Star 1100
My R1 eats me.

Mis-alignment

Thanks, KMac !
You're straithening procedure worked for me !

I own a Yamaha V-Star 1100 and got bumped-in in a parking lot. ( I wasn't there when that happened ) Anyway, when I came back, I found my bike on it's side with a red paintmark on one of the forks, leaving me with an off-center front end. I got home and did what you suggested. Everything is now back in place !

That saved me a trip ( and bill ) from the shop !
Thanks again,

Alain
V-Star 1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement