» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

04-06 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 04-06 R1

Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
ghetto
Wheres my money!

Bikes: 2005 R1
Immobilizer question: Lost black keys have red master..

Hi Guys,

I've successfully lost my last black key at home last week. I still have the red key (and its id tag) and this is what I'm currently using. I've just been to the yammie dealership and ordered two blank black keys - when they come in I'm supposed to take these keys to any locksmith, get them cut using my red key as the template, then book in the dealership for 1.5 hours of labour @ $$ for them to somehow sync the black keys to the immobilizer. They didn't go into the process other than it can be a bit tricky and it takes them random times to get it working..........WTF??

For those that live in countries with the immobilizer, is there any tips to encode the new black key? I will surf myself silly tonight looking for answers. I'm hoping its something I can do and save some cash.

If there is a specific tool etc required I guess I'm screwed and have no choice to take it to the dealer and pay there labour...

Cheers,
Rob

BTW I'm in australia.
ghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
k-rim
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 08 R1
found this for an 08 R6, might work for the r1

1. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.
2. With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.
3. Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.
4. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.
5. Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.
6. While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.
7. Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.
8. If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

if that doesn't work take your key when you get it cut to a locksmith who can copy transponder keys and they should be able to program the key for you. Might be a cheaper option than taking it to Yamaha. I was also told they can copy the code from a black key without the red key.
k-rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
ghetto
Wheres my money!

thanks k-rim worth a crack, I will report back if it worked. Just waiting on the blanks
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
ghetto
Wheres my money!

I'd just like to say k-rim is A GOD

Thanks dude, worked like a charm. Took me 10 minutes in total. I feel the trick was being ultra quick to get the black key in after taking the red key out in step 4. Eg within 5 seconds rather than 10.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
k-rim
My R1 eats me.

no worries glad it saved you some mulah
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Raven-05
My R1 eats me.

No red key, but have black one

Hey guys,

I just purchased my R1 2 weeks ago and it only came with the black key. Will this process work the same with the black key if I order the red?
Raven-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
k-rim
My R1 eats me.

you cant re order the red key becuase its specific for your ecu
Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
ghetto
Wheres my money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-rim View Post
you cant re order the red key becuase its specific for your ecu
Hey K-rim Do you know what the id tag that comes with the red key is used for? I partly thought it was a re-order type code but I understand the red key is in a different league. Just interested to know.

BTW 1 week after recoding the new black keys i found my original black key in the lawn while weed whacking! Murhys law. Interesting that this original black key needed recoding again, points that when you recode with red key is must roll to a new code etc. I just recoded it as per your instructions and it was good to go again..

Cheers,
Rob
Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
k-rim
My R1 eats me.

yeah cant remember what the tag is for. I woulda thought the code stayed the same, unless the key got wiped.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Raven-05
My R1 eats me.

Can I get another black key and program it like you mentioned to Ghetto?
Raven-05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
Locai
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 05 Yamaha YZF R6 Raven
Just bought an o5 r6 and had this same problem, i have the red key and 2 black keys but one of them didnt work, after a few tries of this application it did work for me just fine.
Note a couple things were a lil different.
When i first put the red key in and turned to on, when the instrument panel goes thru the rpms to full and back is the only time the red indicater key light comes on... Once the panel was done, a quick second, the red light goes away and does not come back on for any amount of time.
I then went ahead and started the bike, let it idle for a lil bit then shut it off and removed key.
The idicater light did not stop flashing for me after 30 secs, so i went ahead with the next few steps, ie place red key back in turn on then off within 5 secs and then black key etc....
When i removed the black key however u say wait for light to stop flashing then start with black key, mine didnt stop flashing and after about 3 mins of waiting i tried black key anyway and she fired up just fine.
Thnx so much for the post, it probly saved me 100+ dollars : )
Hope my info helps out anyone else having troubles a lil more.
Cheers
Locai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
rvj
My R1 eats me.

Need details abt r1 2005 keys

I just bought a r1 2005 it has only 1 black key. I want to make a duplicate key so i contacted yamaha showroom in india they told they have new keys for 15 us $ so i searched ebay were i could find keys for 2 $ . i want to know from were should to buy the key now and if i buy and cut the it as my original black key will mi bike start?? if not what should i do ? pl guide me .
rvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement