Sprocket change on an 08 R1. Tooth change. : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

07-08 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 07-08 R1

Old 07-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
vtgoody
My R1 eats me.

Sprocket change on an 08 R1. Tooth change.

I have a 2008 R1 and I'm trying to give it more low end. So I was going to go down 1 tooth on the front and go up 2 in the rear. So 16 front, 47 rear. I ordered the steel sprockets and a DID chain last night. I did a search and saw that many 07 r1's had problems with the speedo being off when this was done. So a few questions.

1. Am I going to have the same problems on my 08 and need a speedohealer?
2. Has anyone done this type of sprocket tooth change and is it worth it?
3. If I take it into a dealer can they hook it up and program the computer for the change or will a power comander let me change the sprocket settings?
4. How much of a percentage change will this have on my actual speedometer reading % wise?

Thanks in advance for all replies. I'm a bigger rider (265 lbs) and really need more low end since I do most of my riding in the mountains. I thought this was the perfect fix but then I just found out today that the speedo doesn't read off of the front wheel. A buddy of mine has a 07 R1 and wants to do the same change because he swears his 04 R1 has way more low end.

Again thanks! Oh and what size is that nut on the countershaft sprocket? I'm guessing 22mm?
vtgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
*R1*
Need More Money!

Bikes: 2008 Yamaha R1
Ok brother I see this alot. Not your fault but things like this frustrate me. People need to become more tune in your bikes by downloading manuals and reading internet threads better.

Almost every bike SPORTBIKE out there, reads off the transmission. The speedo sensors are usually located on a cover that sits over the front sprocket. ON Every bike if you change either front or rear sprocket you will change the odometer reading and speedometer reading.

Dealers cannot reflash your ECU (Computer) to change these readings. You will have to purchase a SPEEDOHEALER.

Sorry if I come off strong, I know you probably didnt know any better.

PCIIIusb, Smog Plts, Shorty Exh, Plt Relocate, -1 +2 Sprkts, Vortex Rearsets, Vortex Shorty Levers, Vortex Fuel Cap, Stl Braided Lns FRT&BK, Scotts Strng Damp, Bbl Bbl Wndscn, .
*R1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
hooligan998
A predilection for asshattery!

Bikes: '03 FZ1, '07 R1 (Sold)
True dat!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
rccaulfield
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 08 model R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by *R1* View Post
Ok brother I see this alot. Not your fault but things like this frustrate me. People need to become more tune in your bikes by downloading manuals and reading internet threads better.

Almost every bike SPORTBIKE out there, reads off the transmission. The speedo sensors are usually located on a cover that sits over the front sprocket. ON Every bike if you change either front or rear sprocket you will change the odometer reading and speedometer reading.

Dealers cannot reflash your ECU (Computer) to change these readings. You will have to purchase a SPEEDOHEALER.

Sorry if I come off strong, I know you probably didnt know any better.
Not true -alot of hondas run the odometer from the front wheel!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
*R1*
Need More Money!

Rccaulfield,

I hate to embarrass, now I know it’s been years but I did graduate MMI Daytona in 1998. Then I joined army 1999.

I was speaking of newer models.......... And Honda definitely does not use wheel, they use the top of the crankcase which shares it housing with transmission. (This is all CBR1000RR and 600RR) from 1995 to present

Only years Honda used wheel for the Honda 600F2 was 91-94

Honda used a speedometer cable driven off the water pump housing on 1995 and older CBR1000RR or CBR900RR models, while they DID use the front wheel for the 600's.

But before using the wheel on only 600rr's from 91-94 F2, they used cable driven themselves, so really for street sport bike (this so called, as you say "ALOT" how is that a lot?)

And if you were speaking of models outside Street-Sport-Bike models, well that’s all you I did say "Almost every bike SPORTBIKE out there, reads off the transmission."

And Honda is just one of 4 main sport bike manufacturers, and on top of that your Honda 91-94 600F2 is not enough to prove me wrong!!!!!

PCIIIusb, Smog Plts, Shorty Exh, Plt Relocate, -1 +2 Sprkts, Vortex Rearsets, Vortex Shorty Levers, Vortex Fuel Cap, Stl Braided Lns FRT&BK, Scotts Strng Damp, Bbl Bbl Wndscn, .
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
*R1*
Need More Money!

I figured I would spark a response of some sort!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
617mike9c1
Life is too short

Bikes: '08 R1 Blue + '03 R1 Silver + 02 ZRX12 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgoody View Post
I have a 2008 R1 and I'm trying to give it more low end. So I was going to go down 1 tooth on the front and go up 2 in the rear. So 16 front, 47 rear. I ordered the steel sprockets and a DID chain last night. I did a search and saw that many 07 r1's had problems with the speedo being off when this was done. So a few questions.

1. Am I going to have the same problems on my 08 and need a speedohealer?
2. Has anyone done this type of sprocket tooth change and is it worth it?
3. If I take it into a dealer can they hook it up and program the computer for the change or will a power comander let me change the sprocket settings?
4. How much of a percentage change will this have on my actual speedometer reading % wise?

Thanks in advance for all replies. I'm a bigger rider (265 lbs) and really need more low end since I do most of my riding in the mountains. I thought this was the perfect fix but then I just found out today that the speedo doesn't read off of the front wheel. A buddy of mine has a 07 R1 and wants to do the same change because he swears his 04 R1 has way more low end.

Again thanks! Oh and what size is that nut on the countershaft sprocket? I'm guessing 22mm?
1. Yes, you NEED a Speedohealer to correct the speedo after the sprockets.
2. I went with -1 +1 and it changed my bike's personality around town for the better.
3. No and No
4. If you don't get the Speedohealer, going to a -1 +2 will make your speedo show a -14.6% difference.

-Mike
617mike9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
bumble bee
Dragon Squadron X/O

Bikes: 06 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccaulfield View Post
Not true -alot of hondas run the odometer from the front wheel!
not to mention Ducatis read it from the rear brake rotor
bumble bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
RBs R1
My R1 is on a Honda Diet

Bikes: 07 Charcoal Gray & Carbon Fiber
Quote:
If you don't get the Speedohealer, going to a -1 +2 will make your speedo show a -14.6% difference.
...which means if you do nothing, you have to ride ~ 15% faster (at least on the speedo) now to make up for the difference !

Your friends will be totally amazed !
Old 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
FishOuttaWater
Registered Adrenaline Junkie

Bikes: 04' Silver R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBs R1 View Post

...which means if you do nothing, you have to ride ~ 15% faster (at least on the speedo) now to make up for the difference !
Wrong... It means he'll already be riding 15% faster (on his speedo)...

I've had this problem for 1.5yrs, until I got my speedo healer a couple weeks ago. My bike racked up more KM's than I actually rode...

And the correction-factor is closer to 14.9%... When using the SpeedoHealer "Estimated Method"...

Quote:
Use this method when speed-reference is not available and you've changed your gearing.
The following formula takes into account the standard & new sprocket sizes, as well as 5% factory speedo-error (@ or > 60mph, typical for most bikes)

Last edited by FishOuttaWater; 07-23-2009 at 11:17 AM.
FishOuttaWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
rccaulfield
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 08 model R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by *R1* View Post
Rccaulfield,

I hate to embarrass, now I know it?s been years but I did graduate MMI Daytona in 1998. Then I joined army 1999.

I was speaking of newer models.......... And Honda definitely does not use wheel, they use the top of the crankcase which shares it housing with transmission. (This is all CBR1000RR and 600RR) from 1995 to present

Only years Honda used wheel for the Honda 600F2 was 91-94

Honda used a speedometer cable driven off the water pump housing on 1995 and older CBR1000RR or CBR900RR models, while they DID use the front wheel for the 600's.

But before using the wheel on only 600rr's from 91-94 F2, they used cable driven themselves, so really for street sport bike (this so called, as you say "ALOT" how is that a lot?)

And if you were speaking of models outside Street-Sport-Bike models, well that?s all you I did say "Almost every bike SPORTBIKE out there, reads off the transmission."

And Honda is just one of 4 main sport bike manufacturers, and on top of that your Honda 91-94 600F2 is not enough to prove me wrong!!!!!
Thats fair enuf mate- i own a 93 fireblade, cbr 250 mc22 and cbr 400rr which all run off the front wheel so you can see where im coming from- do they find that the front sprocket is more reliable to use? Front wheels a better idea imo cos you can play with the sprocket arrangement with no problems!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #12
*R1*
Need More Money!

i agree front tire would be better, because i would spend more time on the rear wheel, blow my engine because oil starvation and bring it back to dealer for new engine, lol

And say dayum i barely drove it and put no miles on it, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #13
thisdjj
My 04 R1 is a BEAST!!!!!!!

Bikes: 04 R1
rear sprocket gearing question

I have a question i have a 04 r1 and wanted to go up 3 teeth in the rear only just wanted to know do i need to get a speedo healer as well the dealer said i didnt need it because the speedo reads off the front sprocket only is this true thank you in advance for your help?
thisdjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #14
*R1*
Need More Money!

That dealer is an idiot, and should not give advise if they dont know what they are talking about,

IF YOUR REAR SPROCKET IS BIGGER (its the equivelant to bigger rear tire) So the more it would slow the spinning of front sprocket because more ground is traveled at back tire.

there for you will be driving any where from 3-15 miles slower then you really are, and your odometer will count up miles faster!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #15
DonJigweed
It'll stop.

Quote:
That dealer is an idiot, and should not give advise if they dont know what they are talking about,

IF YOUR REAR SPROCKET IS BIGGER ([bold]its the equivelant to bigger rear tire[/bold]) So the more it would slow the spinning of front sprocket because more ground is traveled at back tire.
It's always wise to be very careful about dismissing people as ignorant, or idiots.

A bigger rear tire would actually have the opposite effect of the sprocket change considered here. A bigger rear tire means a larger tire circumference, which means more ground would be covered for a given revolution of the wheel, and hence, a given revolution of the sprocket. This would have the effect of yielding a lower displayed mph, and lower mileage, for a given sprocket combination.

To put it another way, increasing the rear tire circumference has the opposite effect of increasing the tooth count on the rear sprocket, which serves to reduce the wheel rotation for a given countershaft sprocket rpm.

This is the principle Scoot Russell was frequently exploiting at Daytona when he would purposely keep the bike leaned over coming off the banking, in order to keep the engine rpm up that extra little bit longer, because he was essentially making the effective circumference of the tire smaller, or, having the same effect as increasing the tooth count of the rear sprocket.

But yes, the dealer is an idiot.
DonJigweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
RBs R1
My R1 is on a Honda Diet

Bikes: 07 Charcoal Gray & Carbon Fiber
Fish: "Wrong... It means he'll already be riding 15% faster (on his speedo)..."

Right... Like I said: He'd have to ride 15% FASTER to make-up for the difference ON THE SPEEDO in order to be going the actual desired speed.

IOW: If you were going the SPEED LIMIT (on your speedo), you'd be going 15% SLOWER (than what you are reading off of it).

So to compensate you'd have to ride 15% FASTER.

The effect on the odometer is increased miles since it's calibrated to engine speed with a known gear ratio. Henceforth the increased RPMs due to the overall gearing reduction results in an equivalent <positive> change in the odometer.

That's my math anyways...

Last edited by RBs R1; 07-26-2009 at 03:27 PM.
RBs R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement