Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

r6 update help please!

29K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  r1phil 
#1 ·
can someone give me a brief overview of the r6 model updates between 05 and present? some are telling me the 05 and 06 are the same others saying the 06 07 are the same.

#2 · (Edited)
I'll jump in on this one, I know R6s back to front.

The first generation R6 was carb'd, and I believe there was a transmission issue with second gear for the 2000 R6 (could be off on the year though). A picture of the first generation R6 is supplied below.

HERE

Below is a picture of the body style of the 2003-2005 R6, as well as the 2006-2009 R6 "S". Read on and I'll explain further.

HERE

2003 was the first year for fuel injection (but had a recall on the stock coils). 04 the coil problem was fixed.
05, the front end was changed a little bit with inverted forks and (I'm pretty sure) slightly lighter/thinner front rotors. Also the rake of the front forks was changed slightly.. So even if you took the forks off an 05 and put them on an 04 it still wouldn't be exactly the same. Also the throttle bodies and injectors were tweaked.

After 2005 the body style changed, but Yamaha continued to make the R6 "S" model, which is the same body as the 2nd gen, with the colors of the bikes for that year.

2006-2007 R6 changed the plastics and overall design quite a bit, as pictured below

HERE

The center of gravity is lower on the new body style (and the low end sucks a little more, but the top end is better than previous years) making the R6 "r" model the ideal track bike. Also the seating is a bit more aggressive, making the 2nd generation slightly more 'street friendly'.

2008-2009 R6 changed over 50 small things from the previous model (according to Yamaha)... the plastics are NEARLY identical, but if you look at an 08 and an 07 side by side you can tell the difference. *see below*

HERE

The engine was modified slightly, making the 2008 R6r the first stock 600cc sportbike to officially reach 170mph.

2009 R6 is essentially the same as the 2008, except Yamaha tuned the 09s differently to try to give the bike more mid-range and also to comply with noise and emission regulations. As a result the top end of the 2009 R6 is SLIGHTLY diminished when compared to the 2008.

Bear in mind again that there is a 2009 R6 "r" and also a 2009 R6 "s" (as mentioned above). The "S" model has the same body style as the 2003-2005.

I hope that answered all your questions! :crash

EDIT: of course, between each year whether the bike was redesigned or not the color schemes were changed as well as the sticker design. A person with a good eye that's seen a lot of R6s can pick out when some stupid craigslister puts up his "2004" R6 for sale with the tail section of a 2003, and then call him out on having the bike laid down. ;)

EDIT Again: The "S" Model (06 +) is essentially an 04 R6, because it doesn't have inverted forks or the refined chassis.

#9 ·
I'll jump in on this one, I know R6s back to front.

The first generation R6 was carb'd, and I believe there was a transmission issue with second gear for the 2000 R6 (could be off on the year though). A picture of the first generation R6 is supplied below.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2000models/2000-Yamaha-R6b.jpg

Below is a picture of the body style of the 2003-2005 R6, as well as the 2006-2009 R6 "S". Read on and I'll explain further.

www.totalmotorcycle.com/.../2005-Yamaha-R6a.jpg

2003 was the first year for fuel injection (but had a recall on the stock coils). 04 the coil problem was fixed.
05, the front end was changed a little bit with inverted forks and (I'm pretty sure) slightly lighter/thinner front rotors.

After 2005 the body style changed, but Yamaha continued to make the R6 "S" model, which is the same body as the 2nd gen, with the colors of the bikes for that year.

2006-2007 R6 changed the plastics and overall design quite a bit, as pictured below

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007-Yamaha-YZF-R6g.jpg

The center of gravity is lower on the new body style (and the low end sucks a little more, but the top end is better than previous years) making the R6 "r" model the ideal track bike. Also the seating is a bit more aggressive, making the 2nd generation slightly more 'street friendly'.

2008-2009 R6 changed over 50 small things from the previous model (according to Yamaha)... the plastics are NEARLY identical, but if you look at an 08 and an 07 side by side you can tell the difference. *see below*

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2008models/2008-Yamaha-YZF-R6d.jpg

The engine was modified slightly, making the 2008 R6r the first stock 600cc sportbike to officially reach 170mph.

2009 R6 is essentially the same as the 2008, except Yamaha tuned the 09s differently to try to give the bike more mid-range and also to comply with noise and emission regulations. As a result the top end of the 2009 R6 is SLIGHTLY diminished when compared to the 2008.

Bear in mind again that there is a 2009 R6 "r" and also a 2009 R6 "s" (as mentioned above). The "S" model has the same body style as the 2003-2005.

I hope that answered all your questions! :crash

EDIT: of course, between each year whether the bike was redesigned or not the color schemes were changed as well as the sticker design. A person with a good eye that's seen a lot of R6s can pick out when some stupid craigslister puts up his "2004" R6 for sale with the tail section of a 2003, and then call him out on having the bike laid down. ;)
not many times I read a long post ...but I read yours ....good post....

#6 ·
^^^ says the guy that's still lurking. :D