Daytona 675 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
tapcon
VIP MOD

Bikes: In search of a new track weapon
Daytona 675

Does anyone have any experiences with these. Looking to get one of these for a track bike.

Signature Compliments of Petrol

TPM:RED
Lucky 13th Squadron
tapcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Madski
Humble Pastafarian

Bikes: 12 ZX10R & 07 R1 Street, 07 Daytona 675 TrackWhore
Yeap - what do you want to know?

My 07 below - just got back from 2 days at BeaveRun on it

SCPMC.net :: South Central Pennsylvania Motorcycle Community :: (SCPMC FB Page)

NESBA "A" #369

RIP MAMJAM #353

Last edited by Madski; 09-01-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Madski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
KolbE
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1, FZR, Race Kawi
dont think just buy they are fuggin awesome... I steal my buddies all the time during track days and have a very hard time giving it back every time.

Sig courtesy of Petrol Spice
KolbE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Wookee
Up on 1-2 up!

Bikes: 2005 GSXR 1K '04 R1-SOLD '02 CRF 450 '91 TZR 250 93 ZXR400SP
I had one for about 6 months, they are awesome & totally fun. I am pretty jaded by h.p. & that bike put a smile on my face every time I rode it. Get it, if I could only have 1 bike it would be a 675. The mid-range makes other middle weights feel anemic. Do it!!!!!!!!!!
Wookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
TFF
Need my Adrenaline hit NOW!

Bikes: 05 R1, 05 YZ450F
great fun to ride, good motor, awesome handling, sweet sound
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Mad German
Bald headed dork

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity
How's the reliability of the 675? I read about some problems early on, particularly when one of the British mags ran it side by side with the Gix 750. The 675's motor failed very early in the test.

Hopefully all those issues are behind Triumph now. The 675 is one of the best looking bikes out there. It certainly has aloyal following. I love the Union Jack numbers, Madski! Very nice!
Mad German is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Mountain Lion
on the track

Bikes: 07 R1, 04 R6 Track Bike
Only downside is availability of parts and servicing in a pinch for track use...
Mountain Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Madski
Humble Pastafarian

Here's my take: For a little background I've had 2 other dedicated track bikes an 04 SV650 and an 04 GSXR600, I'm a NESBA "I" group rider - no claims to being the next Rossi any time soon.

I've only done a few days on the 675 so far and I am ABSOLUTELY in love with the thing. It makes my Gix (and R1 for that matter) feel like a tank. It transitions by thought and it is reasonably stable once in a turn. The motor is more fun, to me, than any 600 I've ridden or owned. It will pull happily from low RPMs and it does have a punch on top, though not as hard as a 600 I4. Power ultimately is about the same as 600's but the delivery is far, far better. Whereas a 600 is like an on/off switch the 675 is linear and I think it makes it easier to maintain traction on exit. My Gix would be like riding a 250 until like 10k and then all hell would break loose (literally at times).

It is a tad touchy to suspension set up and can feel twitchy at first. It certainly tips in better than my Gix and I think its as stable once set into the turn as well. Brakes are good but as with anything with a Nissen master it behooves you to toss it in the garbage and slap a Brembo in. Stock suspension is actually pretty good though I redid mine.

The bike feels very small and narrow - people seem to either love that or hate it. It's very light and it feels that way when ridden. You tend to sit more on top of it than most big 4 600ss.

So far as reliability - from everything I have seen it's not as bad as people think and probably not as good as most Triumph owners will tell you. They have a few weak points: The cam-chain tensioner and rectifier come to mind. They are a bit quirky to work on but not so bad. Most aftermarket parts are out there for the 675 but not as much as the big 4. OE parts are really no more expensive than Japanese parts BUT used parts are far more expensive and harder to find than for your typical 600SS.

Major service intervals are a bit shorter than Japanese bikes. If you can work on your own bike you're further ahead since many independent shops won't touch the bike and most dealers suck.

If you have any specific questions feel free to post or PM me.

NESBA "A" #369

RIP MAMJAM #353

Last edited by Madski; 09-01-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
whatsaR1?
Stuntin' every other day

Bikes: yamaha R1 08
I've ridden one and theyre great, light, great engine good brakes. I wouldnt ming getting one myself.

Do you fear me?

Do you know me?

There's no way out, only a way on.

whatsaR1? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
MuffDVR
No doot aboot it eh?

Bikes: '07 R1 Charcoal, '07 R1 Bogie Blue Special, '11 KTM 300XC
I ride my friends all the time, I love it.
| Akrapovic Evo II exhaust | Sato Black rearsets | Akrapovic carbon fibre hugger, chainguard and exhaust guard | Gold Marchesini wheels | Ohlins Steering Damper | Dynojet PCIIIusb | GYTR Gel Comfort Seat | Custom LED Tail Light Integrator | 16T Renthal front sprocket | GYTR Rear Seat Cowl | Galfer SS Front & Rear Brake Lines | Watsen Design signals | Smog Block Off Plates | DID 520 chain | Puig DB Dark Smoke Windscreen | Greggs SS Black Bar Ends | Pazzo Shorty Levers|
MuffDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
tapcon
VIP MOD

Would you trade your R1 for it plus cash?

Lucky 13th Squadron
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
MuffDVR
No doot aboot it eh?

Bikes: '07 R1 Charcoal, '07 R1 Bogie Blue Special, '11 KTM 300XC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcon View Post
I love my R1, but I have said many times I would consider just having a 675. It really is that good of a bike, cheap insurance, cheaper to run, looks sexy, has tons of grunt so you don't have to wind it out like a retard on a R6. If I had no bike, the 675 would keep me very happy. Overall I would say pound for pound its the best sportbike for the street, it really impresses me that much. If my R1 was stock I wouldn't lose any sleep choosing a 675 over it.
| Akrapovic Evo II exhaust | Sato Black rearsets | Akrapovic carbon fibre hugger, chainguard and exhaust guard | Gold Marchesini wheels | Ohlins Steering Damper | Dynojet PCIIIusb | GYTR Gel Comfort Seat | Custom LED Tail Light Integrator | 16T Renthal front sprocket | GYTR Rear Seat Cowl | Galfer SS Front & Rear Brake Lines | Watsen Design signals | Smog Block Off Plates | DID 520 chain | Puig DB Dark Smoke Windscreen | Greggs SS Black Bar Ends | Pazzo Shorty Levers|
MuffDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
ZR1.
...Ready

Bikes: 08 R6 Racebike, 2011 ZX10 Racebike
Are you buying a used one Tapcon? I've never had the pleasure of riding on of these bad baoys. I know a couple of guys who have them, I may have to test one out soon and see what the fuss is about.
CMRA #713
ZR1. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
tapcon
VIP MOD

Here's the situation. I feel as though I will not be able to progress on the R1 on the track like I want. It's just too much bike for me. My wife will divorce me if I buy another bike, so I'm forced to either sell my beloved R1, or trade it. There's a guy wiling to trade with some cash for a stock, yet pristine 675. I'm just worried about parts and maintenance.

Lucky 13th Squadron
Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Madski
Humble Pastafarian

Quote:
I like the R1 too much as a street bike to go back to a 600/675 on the street. If I had to pull double duty I would be hard pressed which of the two to choose. My 675 is track only, it will never see the street again so long as I own it.

NESBA "A" #369

RIP MAMJAM #353
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #16
KolbE
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1, FZR, Race Kawi
If its gonna be a track only bike I would trade mine in a heart beat but as stated above IMHO I would stick to the R1 for double duty, either way though you cant go wrong I would argue like others have that its the best MW bike on the market right now.

Sig courtesy of Petrol Spice
KolbE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #17
Madski
Humble Pastafarian

Quote:
Here's the situation. I feel as though I will not be able to progress on the R1 on the track like I want. It's just too much bike for me. My wife will divorce me if I buy another bike, so I'm forced to either sell my beloved R1, or trade it. There's a guy wiling to trade with some cash for a stock, yet pristine 675. I'm just worried about parts and maintenance.
That does not sound like all that great of a deal unless it's an 09/10 675, and also depending on how much cash.
I picked mine up wrecked in order to build it into a purpose built track whore. I think I paid like $2800 including delivery to my garage from NY to PA. I have at least that much and then some into what you see as the final result in the pictures above.
You can get parts, used parts are often more expensive than say R1 parts. You can score a set of R1 fork for like $300 - good luck finding a set of 675 forks for 2x that. Same for stuff like wheels, etc. There are far less used parts floating around. Just do an eBay search for R1 and 675 and see what you get.

Aftermarket parts cost about the same as they do for Japanese bikes but there are less to choose from. There are plenty race/track bits out there either way for the bike.

Honestly, I think it's hands down the best middle weight made to date. If I were not a quirky and masochistic old fart I'd most likely buy an R6 or a newer gsxr600 and save myself a lot of headaches. But there is just something about the way the 675 runs, turns, feels and even looks that draws me in. I could have done things a lot cheaper with a big 4 I4 600 but then it would not be a 675. If you dump it, it will cost you more to get it back together. It will be harder and more expensive to get parts and it's most likely not quite as reliable as the Japanese supersports but it does not have that "McBike" feel or look. It really is a special bike in many ways (both good and bad).

In the end, it's not the rational choice but in many ways, at least for me, it's the best one.

NESBA "A" #369

RIP MAMJAM #353
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #18
tapcon
VIP MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madski View Post
That does not sound like all that great of a deal unless it's an 09/10 675, and also depending on how much cash.
I picked mine up wrecked in order to build it into a purpose built track whore. I think I paid like $2800 including delivery to my garage from NY to PA. I have at least that much and then some into what you see as the final result in the pictures above.
You can get parts, used parts are often more expensive than say R1 parts. You can score a set of R1 fork for like $300 - good luck finding a set of 675 forks for 2x that. Same for stuff like wheels, etc. There are far less used parts floating around. Just do an eBay search for R1 and 675 and see what you get.

Aftermarket parts cost about the same as they do for Japanese bikes but there are less to choose from. There are plenty race/track bits out there either way for the bike.

Honestly, I think it's hands down the best middle weight made to date. If I were not a quirky and masochistic old fart I'd most likely buy an R6 or a newer gsxr600 and save myself a lot of headaches. But there is just something about the way the 675 runs, turns, feels and even looks that draws me in. I could have done things a lot cheaper with a big 4 I4 600 but then it would not be a 675. If you dump it, it will cost you more to get it back together. It will be harder and more expensive to get parts and it's most likely not quite as reliable as the Japanese supersports but it does not have that "McBike" feel or look. It really is a special bike in many ways (both good and bad).

In the end, it's not the rational choice but in many ways, at least for me, it's the best one.
He only has 3000 miles on it. I'm so on the fence about this. I've been looking up parts, and everything you say is true, but I guess that's what insurance is for. I don't ride that much on the street, so I don't think I would be losing that much.

Are there a lot of differences between the '07 to the more recent models?

I really appreciate your input.

Lucky 13th Squadron
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Madski
Humble Pastafarian

I have not had a chance to ride the 09/10 version but changes seem to be pretty subtle - you can look here for a list of differences: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33887
A friend of mine is selling his 06 for $5200, it's pretty much mint with around 20k on it.

I don't know how many miles and the condition of your 07. I would not go even up on a same year Daytona, much less add cash - the R1 is the more expensive bike.
What year is the 675 you are looking at?

NESBA "A" #369

RIP MAMJAM #353
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #20
Raysnhell
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 Monster 1100 S
Just sold my R1 for the exact same reasons you are thinking of selling/trading yours... I set out to get a 600, but now I'm debating the 750 and 675... What to do... Too many great bikes out there...
Raysnhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement