Long distance riding on the R1 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

View Poll Results: How many miles can you do on your R1?
100 miles 2 2.44%
200 miles 8 9.76%
300 miles 15 18.29%
400 Miles 8 9.76%
500 miles but I need a day off 14 17.07%
I can do 500+ day after day! 35 42.68%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Long distance riding on the R1

OK first off: Hi, this is my first post here on the R1 forum. As an intro, I am a 43 year old been riding for 25 sompin years guy originally from the Seattle area now living in WV. Currently ride an an 04 FJR 1300. I love the bike and have made several long rides like across the continent and shit like that. It is a good handling bike, considering its curb weight is 650lbs (of course depending on various factors including whether I am using synthetic oil and how much pressure I have in the tires )

One thing that I do miss though it the feel of a lighter bike particularly in the mountain twisties. Now I am thinking of is perhaps swapping out for an R1 but here is my issue; I like to spend the day riding; I like to get somewhere. Typically my rides are no less than 200 miles and typically more like 300-400 miles. Now keep in mind, I'm not sayin that my body feels great after 500 miles; no sir! I need a couple beers after that.

So the question is, how many old crotchety farts like me can ride R1's or other liter SS bikes for day long and over nighters?
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
TxBloodBroMike
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
Put some dirt bars on it and it should be pretty comfy. Im thinking of doing it.
TxBloodBroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
TxBloodBroMike
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
On "it" I meant an R1
TxBloodBroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBloodBroMike View Post
Put some dirt bars on it and it should be pretty comfy. Im thinking of doing it.
You mean handle bars? youre kidding right?
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
stewie97
I eat my R1
 
stewie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes: 07 Warrior
Location: iowa
Posts: 1,768
500 is pretty easy, just take a break every 75-100 miles to stretch. With a good jacket the wind on your chest keeps quite a bit of weight off your wrists. I also found hooking my heels onto the passenger pegs really helped stretch out my lower back on longer rides.

Living in Northeast Iowa you have to ride at least 100 miles to get to anyplace fun, so a typical Saturday ride ends up being about 400-600 miles (this was no problem when i had my '06).

I have been looking at the FJ pretty hard as a replacement for the warrior, I would really like something with some more storage for a decent week vacation with a passenger. That is the one thing i think you will miss about going from a sport tourer to strictly sport. However some folks on here have put some decent bags on also.
stewie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie97 View Post
500 is pretty easy, just take a break every 75-100 miles to stretch. With a good jacket the wind on your chest keeps quite a bit of weight off your wrists. I also found hooking my heels onto the passenger pegs really helped stretch out my lower back on longer rides.

Living in Northeast Iowa you have to ride at least 100 miles to get to anyplace fun, so a typical Saturday ride ends up being about 400-600 miles (this was no problem when i had my '06).

I have been looking at the FJ pretty hard as a replacement for the warrior, I would really like something with some more storage for a decent week vacation with a passenger. That is the one thing i think you will miss about going from a sport tourer to strictly sport. However some folks on here have put some decent bags on also.
Dude, sorry to hear about the whole "I live in IA" thing . In truth the FJR is a pretty sweet ride and I really dont get passed unless I am with my buddy on his FZ1. the problem is really that even after 2k on better fork and shock performance, the FJR is still kind of sloppy given its weight. Not to mention "flicking" isnt actually what you do on the FJR.

But Yes if I had to give up the FJR for the R1, it would require some hard bags.
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
stewie97
I eat my R1
 
stewie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes: 07 Warrior
Location: iowa
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daly View Post
Dude, sorry to hear about the whole "I live in IA" thing . In truth the FJR is a pretty sweet ride and I really dont get passed unless I am with my buddy on his FZ1. the problem is really that even after 2k on better fork and shock performance, the FJR is still kind of sloppy given its weight. Not to mention "flicking" isnt actually what you do on the FJR.

But Yes if I had to give up the FJR for the R1, it would require some hard bags.
at least im next to Wisconsin...

here is a link to some home made hard bags that may help you in the future

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237334

I was able to do a wee trip my self by strapping a backpack to the passenger seat. Not the best setup but it got the job done. The R1 has some nice built in loops under the seat.
stewie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
thunderstruck
you've been THUNDERSTRUCK !
 
thunderstruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Bikes: 2001 R1
Location: Oregon,USA
Posts: 272
Well here you go again ! and yes i did it again this year !--> http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...on+a+R1&page=2
__________________
YOUTH and TALENT are no match for AGE AND TREACHERY !
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie97 View Post
at least im next to Wisconsin...

here is a link to some home made hard bags that may help you in the future

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237334

I was able to do a wee trip my self by strapping a backpack to the passenger seat. Not the best setup but it got the job done. The R1 has some nice built in loops under the seat.
Ah I have seen a few links describing hardbag mods, but not that one; thanks! After having a backpack slip off the vack and onto the rear wheel of my 650 nighthawk, i decided I would not do it the wrong way again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
Well here you go again ! and yes i did it again this year !--> http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...on+a+R1&page=2
I dont care which bike you ride; that many miles that quick is goin ta leave a mark! Did you manage to get IBA certified?
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
gixxbynite
GIXXBYNITE but MUCH LOVE 4 R1
 
gixxbynite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 221
400-500 miles a day is pretty easy as long as you enjoy riding. if you are not the type to really enjoy riding.(such as the parking lot pimps you see at the mcdonalds standing around) then a road trip such as this may not be to your liking. but i think if you truly enjoy riding, it does not matter what you are on, you just want to keep on going. did 450 miles on my 2005 gixx 1000. did a little less on my 2003 R1 but felt the same. could have gone more. i was not sore or anything after. as stated above just rest every time you get gas. also i think it depends on what type of shape and health you are in.
gixxbynite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
thunderstruck
you've been THUNDERSTRUCK !
 
thunderstruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Bikes: 2001 R1
Location: Oregon,USA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daly View Post
Ah I have seen a few links describing hardbag mods, but not that one; thanks! After having a backpack slip off the vack and onto the rear wheel of my 650 nighthawk, i decided I would not do it the wrong way again.



I dont care which bike you ride; that many miles that quick is goin ta leave a mark! Did you manage to get IBA certified?
You are right it left one hell of a mark right there--> for 3 days !!! and to answer your 2nd question on getting it IBA certified--> NO ! i never wanted too don't care, i started riding 47 years ago and have been licensed for on the street for 36 years, i don't ride in or belong to any riding groups or clubs, 99% of the time i ride by myself and i enjoy the freedom of doing what i please and when i please at my own pace i did not start riding in 1962 to the present day to prove anything to anyone but myself and i enjoy riding to much to let anything distract me from it ! but i have no problem letting anyone who wants to leave there mark in the history books if that's what makes them feel good.
__________________
YOUTH and TALENT are no match for AGE AND TREACHERY !
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #12
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
You are right it left one hell of a mark right there--> for 3 days !!! and to answer your 2nd question on getting it IBA certified--> NO ! i never wanted too don't care, i started riding 47 years ago and have been licensed for on the street for 36 years, i don't ride in or belong to any riding groups or clubs, 99% of the time i ride by myself and i enjoy the freedom of doing what i please and when i please at my own pace i did not start riding in 1962 to the present day to prove anything to anyone but myself and i enjoy riding to much to let anything distract me from it ! but i have no problem letting anyone who wants to leave there mark in the history books if that's what makes them feel good.
Well other than being WAY OLDER than me I think you and I are a lot alike. I rarely ride with more than one other person (he is 73 Ha! and rides an FZ1), never joined a group and am perfectly happy doin my own thing at my own pace.

The most I have ever done in a day is about 1000 miles and probably close to 2000 in 2 days. Even of the FJR that is a sore ass day to say the least!! so my pants off to ya. So its sounding like riding an R1 all day isnt going to slow me down too much. Now if I can just find a good looking set of bags and a nice removable brackets that I can mount to the subframe!

Also I am windering if you take off the rear seat, what kind of mounting options are there for a top case. I really dont like the cases mounted so far back as I have seen.
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
coupe
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daly View Post
You mean handle bars? youre kidding right?
Absolutely not kidding, very popular thing to do for those who ride hundreds of miles daily and for those that stunt
__________________
2005 R6
1999 R1
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Absolutely not kidding, very popular thing to do for those who ride hundreds of miles daily and for those that stunt
Facinating, you would think they would be relatively wide for the seat position. Do they put you in a more upright position?
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
BrianJen77
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Bikes: 03 R-1
Location: Colorado
Posts: 34
I agree with Gixxbynite, a lot of your endurance comes from your desire. That being said, The ergos on an R-1 ARE rougher than the FJR.

I do quite a few road trips on my r-1, one of the most recent was 2520 miles in 5 days, it was an awesome trip, we started in Utah went through Idaho, Oregon, up PCH to Washington, and back through Idaho, Wyoming, then home...

I have Giles Tooling 60mm risers and Variobars, which helps a lot, but I'll tell ya the old butt is feeling the pain if the 500 mile day consisted of 55mph back roads.

Now I know this is a Yamaha forum and I hope I don't get banned for this , but my dad a long time sport bike rider and road triped a ZX-11 from age 35-42, then a ZX-12 from 42-49, and now he rides the new Concourse. I've spent quite a bit of time on it and I am impressed. If you are looking for a bike that can cover the miles comfortably, has detachable hardbags, and is fun in the twistes, you should take a look at it. That bike is no joke.

Long story short the the ability to ride an R-1 far depends on your desire, your fitness level and how creative you can get with body positioning to distribute the weight differently
BrianJen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
TxBloodBroMike
I eat my R1
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
seach the term "streetfighter" and you will see what i mean.
TxBloodBroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
coupe
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daly View Post
Facinating, you would think they would be relatively wide for the seat position. Do they put you in a more upright position?
Yup, takes the pressure of your wrists and arms. You shouldnt be putting weight on your wrists and arms anyways BUT when riding hundreds of miles a day you really cant help it after awhile.

My buddy put dirty bars on his 08 R6 and damn what a difference it makes. Looks goofy IMO but work great lol
__________________
2005 R6
1999 R1
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #18
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJen77 View Post
The ergos on an R-1 ARE rougher than the FJR.
I kinda figured that
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJen77 View Post
I have Giles Tooling 60mm risers and Variobars, which helps a lot, but I'll tell ya the old butt is feeling the pain if the 500 mile day consisted of 55mph back roads.

So you got you posture more upright witht he risers, did you do anything about the seat or is it stock?
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
wiking
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
wiking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes: 09 R1
Location: Texass
Posts: 64
Welcome Kevin Daly! Like you, I am an old fart (probably compared to most on here). 46 to be exact. I ride an 09 R1. No, it's not a midlife crisis, I just like these types of bikes. Never liked the "cruiser" type bikes. I went for a ride to White Sands National Monument and back yesterday (593mi round trip). Yea, I am tired. But I enjoyed the hell out it. I have never been in a group riding. I always ride alone. A few months back I did a trip from NW Montana to west Texas (through MT, WY, CO, NM TX) and back through NM, AZ, UT, ID, MT. DI 4000mi in the 7 days I had. It was a blast. I'm in Texas now and what a change. Get an R1, and go ride your ass off. Give me a choice of a goldwing or what I have now. I'll keep my R1!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIZE01.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	389449   Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIZE10.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	389450   Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIZE09.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	389451   Click image for larger version

Name:	RESIZE23.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	389452  
wiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
Kevin Daly
I dont need no stinking title
 
Kevin Daly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Bikes: 2004 FJR1300
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiking View Post
Welcome Kevin Daly! Like you, I am an old fart (probably compared to most on here). 46 to be exact. I ride an 09 R1. No, it's not a midlife crisis, I just like these types of bikes. Never liked the "cruiser" type bikes. I went for a ride to White Sands National Monument and back yesterday (593mi round trip). Yea, I am tired. But I enjoyed the hell out it. I have never been in a group riding. I always ride alone. A few months back I did a trip from NW Montana to west Texas (through MT, WY, CO, NM TX) and back through NM, AZ, UT, ID, MT. DI 4000mi in the 7 days I had. It was a blast. I'm in Texas now and what a change. Get an R1, and go ride your ass off. Give me a choice of a goldwing or what I have now. I'll keep my R1!
Thanks for the Welcome wiking! I know older guys that ride sport as opposed to crusers. Glad to hear there are some 40+ dudes able to do a real trek on a sport bike. My last fullon sport bike was a 600 (Hurricane just to date myself) and that bike was just a little much for long rides. I am figuring the liter will solve much of what was wrong with that bike.
Kevin Daly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hints for Long Distance riding? TheBFA General Motorcycle Discussions 46 05-12-2006 09:58 PM
Long Distance Highway Riding On The '04... R1Fanatic General Motorcycle Discussions 16 09-29-2004 12:50 PM
long distance riding 02YAMAHAR1 General Motorcycle Discussions 38 03-01-2004 06:20 AM
long distance poopielow Stunters Corner 9 02-09-2003 01:11 PM
long distance riding ?s inca jones General Motorcycle Discussions 15 04-06-2002 08:38 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum
R1-Forum.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on R1-Forum.com is generated by its users and R1-Forum.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.