Overheating and does not start : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

07-08 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 07-08 R1

Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
gunz
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2007 R1
Overheating and does not start

Hi,

Last year I left my 2007 R1 outside in the back yard, it was covered but even so exposed to the element of cold. During that time I did not properly "winterize" this motorcycle.

This past summer 2 things have turned up and appear to be wrong.

#1 It overheats, even on a mild summer day (80 degrees) it will quickly climb to 230+, the fans come on but it is still overheating. I questioned my riding as well as oil and both seem to be alright. Oil & Filter were changed about 200 miles ago. And to prove that it was not my riding I could start the bike on a new day and let it idle, 5 minutes later it is at 230.
The bike has 1200 miles on it.

#2 Failure to start. I have trickle charged for days on end, she will get her initial start and then I can ride hard but the next day a start is 50/50 and if I don't ride the next day and wait maybe 2-3 days the start just wont happen and I have to jump it. If i am using a battery tender and fully charging this, could it be a bad battery still or another electrical problem? My suspicion was there is some electrical short having to do with the LoJack which was however, dealer installed.

thank you kindly for any assistance, I look forward to riding again.

best,
Nick
gunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
uksparky
I eat my R1

Bikes: Blue 07 R1 sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz View Post
Hi,

Last year I left my 2007 R1 outside in the back yard, it was covered but even so exposed to the element of cold. During that time I did not properly "winterize" this motorcycle.

This past summer 2 things have turned up and appear to be wrong.

#1 It overheats, even on a mild summer day (80 degrees) it will quickly climb to 230+, the fans come on but it is still overheating. I questioned my riding as well as oil and both seem to be alright. Oil & Filter were changed about 200 miles ago. And to prove that it was not my riding I could start the bike on a new day and let it idle, 5 minutes later it is at 230.
The bike has 1200 miles on it.

#2 Failure to start. I have trickle charged for days on end, she will get her initial start and then I can ride hard but the next day a start is 50/50 and if I don't ride the next day and wait maybe 2-3 days the start just wont happen and I have to jump it. If i am using a battery tender and fully charging this, could it be a bad battery still or another electrical problem? My suspicion was there is some electrical short having to do with the LoJack which was however, dealer installed.

thank you kindly for any assistance, I look forward to riding again.

best,
Nick
The battery would be my first choice in your problem, replace it...As for the overheating you did have antifreeze in the cooling system when you left it outside right....Pull the fairing and check the level of the coolant, there is only two things that can cause overheating...defective thermostat or plugged radiator....at a guess i would say your thermostat is the problem
uksparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Threesvts
I am officially a Carbonholic

Bikes: 2007 R1
I had to replace my battery in my '07 this year. The guy I bought it from never rode it and it was beyond dead. Wouldn't hold a charge at all. Does the temp ever come back down or does it stay at 230 all the time? Like when you get some speed (45 mph+) does the temp start to come down?
'97 Toyota Supra Black/Black known as the Vette & Viper annihilator
'03 Cobra Black/Black Ditched the S/C for an 80mm hairdryer
'13 Ford Mustang GT500 Black/Black/Black stripes stock for now.....
'14 Yamaha FZ-09 #610 Liquid Graphite/"Blurple" Wheels
Threesvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
uR1ofmany
The most gorgeous eyes ever

Bikes: 04 Yamaha R1 shift red
Let me piggyback on this post

My 04 R1 is having the same overheating problem, minus the not starting part. My bike does show a decrease in temp when I accelerate and the wind starts blowing and cooling the bike down. It will go down 2-3 degrees and then as soon as I slow down, jumps to 236 and even 241! Coolant (water wetter) is good and oil change done less than 200 mi ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement