Question about getting a lien release from Household Retail Services : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
gatesjeff33
My R1 eats me.

Question about getting a lien release from Household Retail Services

Hey everybody,

I am currently trying to purchase a bike. The buyer has paid off his loan, but never received a lien release from household retail services or else he threw it away thinking is was junk mail...

He has sent them a fax request which is apparently the only way to get a lien release note sent. Does anyone know how long it will take? They claim 2-4 weeks, but I would just like to know if they actually stick to that. I read about a guy waiting 2 months and another guy having to take them to court. Any horror stories out there? or have most people received theirs in 2-4 weeks?
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
steevo025
Call me Steve Deadload...

Bikes: 1999 blue R1- stolen, 2008 blue R1- Sold, 2010 blue R1
Can't help you on the timeline but I can tell you I bought my 99 R1 through HRS and they are horrible to work with. Customer service is terrible. Jut my experience. I'm sure there are others who probably dealt with them and it worked out fine. Can't imagine why you have to fax a request and not just pick up the phone and ask.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
gatesjeff33
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo025 View Post
Can't help you on the timeline but I can tell you I bought my 99 R1 through HRS and they are horrible to work with. Customer service is terrible. Jut my experience. I'm sure there are others who probably dealt with them and it worked out fine. Can't imagine why you have to fax a request and not just pick up the phone and ask.
If they had someone to answer the phone it would cost money. They would rather have one person taking fax request and sending out liens releases. As long as they get you the lien release within the legal amount of time, they don't give a rats ass about customer service. They cut the major motorcycle dealers a good deal and the customer doesn't realize how badly he is getting ripped off when they turn around and claim they don't have your title and you are never going to receive it even though you paid off your loan....

I've heard this story multiple times on the web.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
dazdillenger
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2005 r1
ooh-HRSI is a real PITA. I had to get a lien release from them once-took MONTHS.

Good luck-If I have a bike and the loan is paid off, I'll make my own release.
dazdillenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
bmacknyc1k
18x HP literbike killer

Bikes: 2011 ZX-10R
Here's my horror story in short,

years ago bought a 2001 GSXR 750, 2 years old.

I was to pay 6 grand for it, great deal at the time, I did, title was under the guy's cousins name, along with the Lien, he owed about 3 grand on it....

said he would pay the lien off, and get me the lien release in a week or 2....

called him, no response....his cousin contacted me, said he never paid it off....

she was very pissed, and so was I, so I then paid the lien off of about 2700 from Household, and spoke to somebody to have it FedExed, paid extra, took about 3-4 days from what i remember....

got the lien off, never will I make that mistake again, what a headache, she actually was trying to have him arrested.....

the bike after that was a CBR 954, but from a good buddy of mine, we paid the loan off, no issue there....
bmacknyc1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
gatesjeff33
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacknyc1k View Post
Here's my horror story in short,

years ago bought a 2001 GSXR 750, 2 years old.

I was to pay 6 grand for it, great deal at the time, I did, title was under the guy's cousins name, along with the Lien, he owed about 3 grand on it....

said he would pay the lien off, and get me the lien release in a week or 2....

called him, no response....his cousin contacted me, said he never paid it off....

she was very pissed, and so was I, so I then paid the lien off of about 2700 from Household, and spoke to somebody to have it FedExed, paid extra, took about 3-4 days from what i remember....

got the lien off, never will I make that mistake again, what a headache, she actually was trying to have him arrested.....

the bike after that was a CBR 954, but from a good buddy of mine, we paid the loan off, no issue there....
Thank you for your response.

How much did that cost to get it fedex'd?

Who did you speak to? Just a regular customer service rep?

Thanks again!!

The Seller I am talking to was not alerted to this possibility.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
gatesjeff33
My R1 eats me.

So the seller sent the fax to the wrong number as household. He finally sent it to the right number. It took 8 days to receive it. They said 7-10 days, not bad... I was pretty impressed until I got to the counter of the DMV with the seller. HSBC(Household retail services) managed to drop a number out of the middle of the VIN so it didn't match the title! WTF!?!?

So the guy called them up again and finally talked to the supervisor 3 to 4 levels up in management and hopefully a new lien release with the correct information arrives soon.

Also, They failed to mention on the lien release that "Household retail services" is a part of HSBC or that HSBC bought household or what ever reason the lien release was coming from a different company name than the original HouseHold retail services. So, don't forget to do that random guy who happens to read this because he is dealing with the same BS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement