» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

02-03 R1 Mechanical Help Mechnical and Critical Issues for the 02-03 R1

Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
srs02
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 2002 r1
02 r1 power commander help

i have a 2002 r1 and i am in need of some tuning help or suggestions. i went to the power commander site and they dont have my set up but im not sure where to start. heres a list of what i got for performance mods: power commander, micron high mount slip on, k/n filter, air box mod and i run 93 octane if that matters or not. I tried a stock map and tried adjusting the fuel curve with the 3 buttons but not sure if fuel should be + or - at idle. bike seems to run fine but im sure i could be better off. dont wanna have to pay to get it tuned on a dyno so let me know what u think.
srs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Waxer
MMM Meaty!

Bikes: 02 R1, 09 Aprilia SXV550, RSV4 Factory
Playing with the buttons on the PC without it being on a dyno = bad idea.

There is a PC Map thread in the Mechanical Help section. You will never find an exact map, just something close.

But it's always better to get the bike mapped on a dyno at a shop rather than downloading someone elses problems into your bike. Plus no two bikes with the same parts are the same.

|R1-014 Dragon Squadron| The Ouija Board asks me questions!

Waxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
srs02
My R1 eats me.

I understand what your saying. Forgot to mention I had it running at rich settings cause of my mods making it lean. The fuel + - light seems to be always be in the most lean position. The bike has been running fine like this but could be better im sure. Ill look for a good map.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Shocka311
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2003 R1
I've been dealing with similar issues and have kind of learned how to adjust it myself. The buttons aren't a very good option to actually tune it but if you are trying to figure out if your too lean or rich at a certain rpm range they work well. If your bike is running fine I honestly would not mess with it without a dyno. My bike just started running lean all the sudden so I had to mess with the tuning cause I can't afford a dyno either. What I have learned when it comes to tuning with the PC3 and making fuel maps:

Find the closest map to your setup or the map that you run the best on and work from there.
All the numbers on the map obviously represent how rich or lean you are. If you increase the number your going richer, if you decrease the number your going leaner. For example, 2 changed to 4= richer, -20 changed to -18= richer, 3 changed to -6= leaner and so on.
The colum down the right left side, obviously rpm, the row along the top is the throttle position in a percentage.
I rode my bike and just tried a combination of different throttle positions and different rpm ranges and got a feel for where it was lacking power then adjusted the map at those rpm ranges and throttle positions. If you adjust it and it seems to be running worse you probably adjusted it in the wrong direction, just readjust in the other direction and see if you feel a difference. For me it worked best to test this in first gear because thats where i can feel the most torque and pull and where I notice the biggest change when my bike is running poorly.
This worked for me cause my bike was running like total shit and I could tell a huge difference when making changes. If you just want to fine tune it you may not be able to tell a big enough difference to make any beneficial adjustments. If you mess with it a bit and don't feel like you've made a difference or you get your bike running worse you can always flash the tune you started with that you know will work ok.
A few things i woudl recommend, use Microsoft Excell to help make and track your changes. You can copy and paste the entire table from the PC3 software to Excell and then from Excell back into the PC3 software. This makes tracking and making your changes MUCH easier, elpecially if you know a bit about using formulas in Excell.
and an important warning. Your not going hurt your bike making small changes to see if you can feel more power but make changes in small intervals, especially when going leaner. If you go way too lean you can cause predetonation and damage your engine but if you go in small intervals and pay attention to your bike you'll be able to tell it is running like shit before you get to that point. If you hear pinging your way too lean.

Hope this helps, again the best bet is to get a dyno tune when you can afford it but I can't either so I totally understand.
Shocka311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
srs02
My R1 eats me.

thanks shocka311 excellent post
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Shocka311

NP, if I have time I'll do a how to with some pictures cause I know that info on tuning with the PC3 yourself without a dyno is hard to come by. I was searching all lats week.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
ThundeR1cat
Wherd the road go

Bikes: R1
great post shocka
ThundeR1cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Waxer
MMM Meaty!

Bikes: 02 R1, 09 Aprilia SXV550, RSV4 Factory
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs02 View Post
The fuel + - light seems to be always be in the most lean position.
The lights don't mean you are running lean or rich... There is no O2 sensor on the 02-03 bike and a PCIII wouldn't be able to read it if there was one.

The PCIII is only a piggyback unit that fools the ECU into running the bike at a richer or leaner state at a given RPM and % of throttle opening via the software and map and at what numbers the map tells the unit to input to the ECU.

|R1-014 Dragon Squadron| The Ouija Board asks me questions!

Waxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Shocka311

The lights let you adjust the air fuel mixture for low mid and high rpm range, they are a VERY rough way of making adjustments. Like I said they work well to get an idea if you're running too rich or lean but they aren't really good for tuning. To use them you have to hold all three buttons down while you start your bike. When you do they will light up in the center. Press a button once to move up (richer), hold it down to move down (leaner). If you wait to long between pressing the buttons they'll reset back to the normal display which will be the very lowest light. I think it indicates rpm or fuel input or something like that. If you rev your engine in the normal display the light moves higher according to your rpm.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Shocka311

Just posted a how to on this with some pics if you're interested.

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318986
Sponsored Links
Advertisement