FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 11-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
SySt
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R1
FlashTune ECU Flashing Interface

I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

Here are the tuneable features for the 07-08 R1:
-Fuel table bias (ECU uses a MAP vs RPM and a TPS vs RPM table for fueling, the bias adjusts how much each table contributes to the final value used to control the injectors.)
-TPS vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-MAP vs RPM Fuel map (per cylinder)
-TPS vs RPM Ignition map (per gear)
-Engine braking
-YCCT APS vs RPM throttle maps (not directly edittable, can choose between two preset maps: stock and "race")
-Fan temps (stock or 205*F on, 195*F off)
-Immobilizer Operation (Normal or Bypassed)
-Yes, you can import .djm PCIII maps into the software, the software then scales the fuel maps for flashing the ECU just like the PCIII does.

Flashtune does claim to be actively expanding the software to allow for other adjustments as well.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the YCCT maps and the 1st and 6th gear ignition maps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YCCT(Race).jpg
Views:	3913
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	451199   Click image for larger version

Name:	YCCT(Stock).jpg
Views:	3618
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	451200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition Map (Gear 1).jpg
Views:	3564
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	451201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition Map (Gear 6).jpg
Views:	3553
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	451202  
SySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
SySt
I eat my R1

I did a little more playing around with the settings today. I did verify the cause of the high idle is the "race" YCCT map, the engine braking setting does not affect the idle.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
arcenik
I eat my R1

Bikes: SuperMoto, 07 r1 - Stolen, 02 r1 - Sold
they said when i called that they were going to release an update so you can set the idle this week.

also with the race ycct map is the throttle smoother or is it just better now that you flashed it?
arcenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
SySt
I eat my R1

I'm not certain the difference the YCCT map made as I was not able to do back to back runs before and after the flash. The bike just feels a little more powerful. Having the idle set at 1900 RPMs definitely helped smooth out on-off throttle transitions.

I emailed Flashtune yesterday and they said the next update will also include rev limit adjustment.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
R1liam
Keep it between the hedges!

Bikes: RD125, 250, 350LCs. '07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SySt View Post
I got the type 1 ECU flashing interface from Flashtune today.

I flashed my ECU with the "race" YCCT map and used the 6th gear ignition map for all gears. My bike does now idle around 1900 RPMs. After looking at the "race" YCCT map closer I believe it may be to blame. Aside from the high idle everything worked great. I went out for a quick ride and was able to power up 2nd gear sit-down wheelies, I tried hard before but it never happened. The bike does feel like it has a little extra pep.
Thanks for sharing the info. Looks like we're finally getting some insider input

Do you think that the ignition is a modification of the old style TRE (G-pack) modules, as in, making the ecu think (for example) it's in 6th gear, when in reality, the bike is in 2nd gear?

Can you reduce the 1900rpm idle speed to a more normal level while retaining the 6th gear based ignition map for all gears?

Again thanks for sharing the info!

Last edited by R1liam; 11-12-2011 at 05:36 AM.
R1liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
SySt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1liam View Post
Thanks for sharing the info. Looks like we're finally getting some insider input

Do you think that the ignition is a modification of the old style TRE (G-pack) modules, as in, making the ecu think (for example) it's in 6th gear, when in reality, the bike is in 2nd gear?

Can you reduce the 1900rpm idle speed to a more normal level while retaining the 6th gear based ignition map for all gears?

Again thanks for sharing the info!
The 1900 RPM idle is caused by the YCCT "race" map, not the ignition map. Running the stock YCCT map keeps the idle stock. As stated however, in the next version of the software you will be able to edit the idle characteristic. The ignition tuning is nothing like any modules. You can directly edit a separate ignition map for each gear. Look at the pics I posted to see what I mean.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
ravendan
Normal Guy Here!

I've been playing with the Flash-Tune interface now for about 2 weeks. I love the adjustability! Amazing! I can really tell a difference in 2nd gear-the bike just hauls ass even faster from about 8G up! My butt dyno feels just like the chart that Flash-Tunes posted for the 07-08 on the dyno. I've changed the engine braking probably 10 times to find my sweet spot! Seems like just more than 50% on the slider is perfect for my style of riding! The bike pulls much better from a stop also. My idle doesn't seem much higher.
ravendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
arcenik
I eat my R1

did they update the software yet so you can change the idle

i should have mine by next week can't wait
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
ravendan
Normal Guy Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenik View Post
did they update the software yet so you can change the idle

i should have mine by next week can't wait

I just opened my Flash-Tune interface. I don't see any changes-so no idle adjustment option yet. I re-visited their website. Looks like they are starting their own 'tune' file share as well. These guys are on it!

Honestly, I am starting to think that the send-off ECU reflashing services may headed towards extinction. Who would want a single time reflash when you can get the entire interface and make changes on your own?
ravendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
arcenik
I eat my R1

yeah i don't see why any one wouldn't get the interface
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Cutmaster
How do you like my cartridges?

Would anyone like to comment on the integration of the ECU reflash with the PCV and Autotune? I had an older PC III and loaded a map on it before getting a custom dyno map. Since the dyno guys set the AFM for max power that doesn't seem to necessarily fix "driveability" issues and I guess, that is where redo of the ECU would help. With the Autotun and the ECU interface, is the gazillion dollar dyno man on the way out except for the race dudes? Are the ECU reflashers also Autotuners?
2011 R1 - Yosh case savers + fender delete, Moto-Science led mirrors, Clever Wolf hugger, Custom Dynamics integrated tail light, Akra Ti Y + CF exhaust, Watsen sigs, Harris levers, Fren Tubo CF lines, DDM HIDs, FT flashed ECU

Don't pet the sweaty things. Don't sweat the petty things.
Cutmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
arcenik
I eat my R1

Just got mine today anyone have experience with importing a pc3 map gonna try it out and see how good this thing really is
Old 11-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
arcenik
I eat my R1

so i got to try it out today here are my results

first i did an import of a pc3 map (just the stock 07 r1 map)
ycct race
50% engine breaking

second in did just the 91+ pump gas
ycct race
50% engine breaking

both flashes felt way better than stock smooth on off throttle. the only problem i have with them is my idle is a little high the funny thing is my tach still says 1200 but it sounds high. so far i love the flash just waiting for the update to change the idle.

ill play around with it some more tommorow
Old 11-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #14
SySt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcenik View Post
so i got to try it out today here are my results

first i did an import of a pc3 map (just the stock 07 r1 map)
ycct race
50% engine breaking

second in did just the 91+ pump gas
ycct race
50% engine breaking

both flashes felt way better than stock smooth on off throttle. the only problem i have with them is my idle is a little high the funny thing is my tach still says 1200 but it sounds high. so far i love the flash just waiting for the update to change the idle.

ill play around with it some more tommorow
Look closer at the tach, the idle is probably really 1500+ RPMs. I did verify that running the race ycct setting causes the idle to be higher. If you run the stock ycct setting the idle is normal. Shouldn't be a problem at all once the idle adjustments are put into the software. It is nice how much smoother the throttle transition is with the high idle and engine breaking settings.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
arcenik
I eat my R1

i am going to try the stock ycct today but i was thinking it might not be as smooth
Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
riaanc
Rossi Fan

Did the Flash Tune get rid of the throttle restrictions in the first 3 gears below 8000rpm?
Brakes: BREMBO RCS19, BFG SS Front, Wave Rear
Forks: RACETECH Springs 1.1kG, G2-R
Shock: RACETECH Gold Valve, Spring 105N/mm
Other: PUIG Dark, VORTEX Frame Sliders, Gopro HD, Qstarz BT-Q1000ex GPS
riaanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
arcenik
I eat my R1

If u look at the ycct map it still is not a 1 to 1 throttle but it's way better

I was thinking if it would even run better or worse with a 1 to 1 throttle who actually needs 100% throttle at 2k
Old 11-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
SySt
I eat my R1

There is no power to be gained by having the throttle opened 100% at 2k RPMs. Actually, it is documented by a member on here through some testing that the throttle settings from the factory are not restricting the power on the 07-08 R1. Just because you are not at 100% throttle doesn't mean you are not pulling in as much air as the engine is able to at a given RPM.

Also, there is not a linear relationship between the throttle position and the amount of air being drawn in. Therefore, for predictable/smooth throttle settings, there should not be a linear relationship between the throttle position and the accelerator position (wrist) for a given RPM. That is why YCCT has an advantage for a cable driven throttle. You can set the relationship between throttle position and accelerator position.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
riaanc
Rossi Fan

Question Any ecu flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SySt View Post
There is no power to be gained by having the throttle opened 100% at 2k RPMs. Actually, it is documented by a member on here through some testing that the throttle settings from the factory are not restricting the power on the 07-08 R1. Just because you are not at 100% throttle doesn't mean you are not pulling in as much air as the engine is able to at a given RPM.

Also, there is not a linear relationship between the throttle position and the amount of air being drawn in. Therefore, for predictable/smooth throttle settings, there should not be a linear relationship between the throttle position and the accelerator position (wrist) for a given RPM. That is why YCCT has an advantage for a cable driven throttle. You can set the relationship between throttle position and accelerator position.
I thought I was sure what to do, but I'm a little confused now. I have 07 R1 with full akropovic, bmc and bazzaz with ZAFM. I bought the bazzaz really for the TC after having a PC3. I use the r1 mostly for track days and would have liked a little more go out of slower corners...would a reflash really be worth the extra money???...I'm starting to doubt it. Any comments are welcome
Brakes: BREMBO RCS19, BFG SS Front, Wave Rear
Forks: RACETECH Springs 1.1kG, G2-R
Shock: RACETECH Gold Valve, Spring 105N/mm
Other: PUIG Dark, VORTEX Frame Sliders, Gopro HD, Qstarz BT-Q1000ex GPS
riaanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #20
harry-h1
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2007 r1, White n red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaanc View Post
I thought I was sure what to do, but I'm a little confused now. I have 07 R1 with full akropovic, bmc and bazzaz with ZAFM. I bought the bazzaz really for the TC after having a PC3. I use the r1 mostly for track days and would have liked a little more go out of slower corners...would a reflash really be worth the extra money???...I'm starting to doubt it. Any comments are welcome

plus 1 on that.
harry-h1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement