09 Graves velocity stacks : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Blue 09
I eat my R1

Bikes: 99 R6 sold 09 R1
09 Graves velocity stacks

I have finally pulled the trigger and bought the stacks for my 09. Im still waiting for them to come in. Before i put them in i will be putting it on a dyno next week to see what kind of power it has now so I can compare it to another dyno run after I install them. I will also be doing an ecu reflash but i havn't decided what company i will be going with though. I just wanted to share because I have been searching for dyno results for awhile before deciding to do this and I have yet to find any dyno results. So ill post what kind of power the Graves stacks make once I get them in

Cosmetic
DDM 55w 6000k hids, LSL frame sliders, Watsen flush mount, Zero Gravity double bubble, ASV shorty levers, Competition Werkes fender eliminator, Running light mod, custom led taillight
Blue 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
wvr6rdr
RIP Super Sic

Bikes: 09 R1, 09 R6 (Sold)
i have almost the same set up you do so it will be interesting to see what kind of power you get. i went with flash tune and really like it. the bike is much smoother and when i get stacks i can send it back to them and they will reflash it for me for free. so cant beat that. the only thing i dont have that you do is the PCV and autotune but im interested to see what kind of numbers your put up both before and after.
wvr6rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Lowers only or both ? Lower stacks only should give a little more topend I would assume,curious as to the results you find. Want to get a reflash for my '12 as well .After seeing dyno results from ecunleashed and flashtune I have noticed that ecunleashed only makes more power after 10 or 11,000 rpm ,where as the flashtune makes more power at 7,000 rpm or even slightly lower with both making about 9 hp. more than stock at peak hp. That being said I will get the flashtune reflash,you can get the interface cable they make for the '09 - '11 for yours from flashtune and do your own reflashes as often as you like to as many bikes as you want for less than ecunleasheds reflash only .
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Blue 09
I eat my R1

Im doing the set (top & bottom). Can the flashtune accommodate for the different leaning stacks? I know ecu unleashed does. I was kind of leaning toward unleashed.

Cosmetic
DDM 55w 6000k hids, LSL frame sliders, Watsen flush mount, Zero Gravity double bubble, ASV shorty levers, Competition Werkes fender eliminator, Running light mod, custom led taillight
Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
drjak
Take the red pill

Bikes: '09 R1
I'm curious to know this answer as well as I'm about to finally send my ECU in.
drjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
I would think so,pm flastune and ask him or ask on the flashtune interface thread . If you can wouldn't you get the flashtune then ? I personally can't see spending over $350 for a reflash from ecunleashed if flashtune can do it for $150,or buy their interface cable for less than $350 .
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Blue 09
I eat my R1

I guess I have so more research to do before I decide which flash i will be doing with.

Cosmetic
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
drjak
Take the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
I would think so,pm flastune and ask him or ask on the flashtune interface thread . If you can wouldn't you get the flashtune then ? I personally can't see spending over $350 for a reflash from ecunleashed if flashtune can do it for $150,or buy their interface cable for less than $350 .
I sent them email inquiring about this (FT). I was asking about their interface and asked if they could tell me what to set the ECU for, for the Graves Stacks and all I got back from them was "You'll need to custom tune." LOL.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Flashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjak View Post
I sent them email inquiring about this (FT). I was asking about their interface and asked if they could tell me what to set the ECU for, for the Graves Stacks and all I got back from them was "You'll need to custom tune." LOL.
Does ecunleashed have a specific rpm crossover point for the upper stacks to raise ? Every bike will like a specific rpm to get the power curve to be the smoothest when they raise and start to run off of the lower stacks . Probably as much as 200 to 400 or more rpm difference to be the best point for certain bikes,you can atleast adjust that point and tune it to that with a dyno rather than have it set to whatever rpm that ecunleashed sets theirs at. I'm sure it will be good with either one but , atleast you have the option of making it perfect with the flashtune interface. I would ask SpidermanSS what rpm point in general usually works best or contact Graves,then you can get one of the 2 reflashers to set it at that rpm for you when you send them your ecu.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #10
Blue 09
I eat my R1

Quote:
There is no way I'm getting a reflash that can't allow me to use my very expensive velocity stacks. So far it looks like I'm going with ecu unleashed.

Cosmetic
Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
subscribed

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
drjak
Take the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
Does ecunleashed have a specific rpm crossover point for the upper stacks to raise ? Every bike will like a specific rpm to get the power curve to be the smoothest when they raise and start to run off of the lower stacks . Probably as much as 200 to 400 or more rpm difference to be the best point for certain bikes,you can atleast adjust that point and tune it to that with a dyno rather than have it set to whatever rpm that ecunleashed sets theirs at. I'm sure it will be good with either one but , atleast you have the option of making it perfect with the flashtune interface. I would ask SpidermanSS what rpm point in general usually works best or contact Graves,then you can get one of the 2 reflashers to set it at that rpm for you when you send them your ecu.
I've asked Graves for this information before but was told that "Jett Tuning knows what to set them at" and that's all I got. I bought my Graves upper and lower stacks used, on this forum so I don't think I can call them and ask.

I'm interested in just getting my ECU flashed (not buying the interface) because all my local tuners prefer Dynojet.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Acidsamuraix
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1, 2014 DR-Z400SM
Quote:
I'm interested in just getting my ECU flashed (not buying the interface) because all my local tuners prefer Dynojet.
If your tuner customizes a dynojet map for you, you can load that as the base with the interface cable, then run a zero map on the pcv...just an option.
-Fender Eliminator, LP flushmounts, OEM Seat Cowl
-Ballistic Evo2 8-cell battery
-ASV C5 Shorty Brake/Clutch Levers (blue), Renthal Dual Compound Grips
-Zero Gravity Corsa (light smoke)
-Goodridge SS brake lines
-Driven 520 conversion 16/45, RK GXW Chain, Probolt Sprocket Nuts
-GBRacing Case Covers, Vortex rearsets
Acidsamuraix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
jcfz6r1
I eat my R1

Bikes: '10 R1, '12 CBR 250r, '14 FZ-09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 09 View Post
There is no way I'm getting a reflash that can't allow me to use my very expensive velocity stacks. So far it looks like I'm going with ecu unleashed.
You should be able to get either one to work fine with the stacks. Because the flash is just a starting point. You will then need to get either a PCV autotune or similar or get on a dyno and get a custom PCV map made and then use that.

If there was this much info out about Flash Tune when I got mine done I probably would have went with them since you can redo it as often as you like with the interface cable and how open they've been on the forums helping people and fixing bugs. With ECUnleashed it's pretty much you tell them what you have done to the bike and hope they load the correct things into the map...then tune it with the PCV.

R1-016 VENOM Squadron

Anyone need stock fairings or misc aftermarket parts, check out my stuff FS:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...=1#post6025618
jcfz6r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
tomekzxr
My R1 eats my money

Bikes: r1 09
Have You seen prevoius threads about velocity stacks? They may be improvement only with race cams and more compression. As for ecu reflash, the yec reflash gives the ability to set stacs crossover revs. It actually converts stock ecu to yec leaving all street utilities and it's fully adjustable. It is even able to calibrate speedo. It would be my choice if I haven't euro model.
tomekzxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
drjak
Take the red pill

All we need is the settings for RPM for the aftermarket stacks.

And yes they provide an improvement with the stock motor, no need to change the internals. A few users have them installed, on this forum, and reported gains, on the stock motor.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Blue 09
I eat my R1

And yes they provide an improvement with the stock motor, no need to change the internals. A few users have them installed, on this forum, and reported gains, on the stock motor.[/QUOTE]

This is also what I have found I have pmed flashtune to ask them about the stacks and I am waiting on a reply from them. I havent done any research on the yec ecu. The only one ive heard of eliminates all the streetablity and is very very expensive. Ive never tuned a bike so i wouldnt know where to begin. i like the flash for the fact its easy and I cant mess it up.

Cosmetic
Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #18
Blue 09
I eat my R1

I strapped it on the dyno and the numbers were disappointing! It only make 138hp! I have the dyno sheet I'll have to post. The air/fuel was at 10! It ran very rich. They dyno guy told me the dynojet autotune was the reason for such bad air/fuel! He advised me to lose the autotune and get a custom map. I took the autotune off and noticed a huge difference in power!

Cosmetic
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Luvmy02R1
Need to change user name;)

Bikes: blu 02 R1SOLD...lovin my 2012
I take it you had already set your "target A/F" in the auto tuner?
Graves swears by this set up as well as having the SFM you should be good to go??
Luvmy02R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
bryan niles
performance first

Bikes: 2005 Raven, 2010 Raven
Talking

There is a rpm where you can start for the secondaries to lift off. A birdie told me a good starting point. Pm me if you want that rpm. Its a good start.
PERFORMANCE- Sato full Titanium exhaust with MOTO GP carbon fiber Titanium cans- Gold Sato rearsets- Bmc race filter - Factory pro velocity stacks- Pc3USB- Powercommander Ignition module- secondary throttle plates removed- Brembo 19x18 radial master cylinder- DID 520 ERV3 conversion kit- RRP rear sprocket- Attack Performance magnesium triple clamps- Braking wave rear rotor- JG1 custom map- Gilles chain adjusters and lifters- Galfer stainless steel black front & rear brake line- Scotts oil filter-graves fibers-yec clutch springs-Galfer Superbike Wave Rotors-Ohlins damper-Active quick turn throttle billet black-Over adjustable racing linkage-Krankvent-Yec fuel regulator!

COSMETIC- Pro bolt and Yoyodyne titanium bolts and nuts on entire bike- Puig double bubble screen- Graves smog plates- Greggs customs black sprocket cover- Greggs customs black mirror block plates- Greggs customs black license plate bracket- Greggs Satin black fairing plugs- Factory yamaha billet engine case cover- Woodcraft case covers- CRG silver gp perch clutch lever- Gytr clutch guard- Speedohealer- Shogun clutch slider- Shogun black bar ends- Shogun black swingarm sliders- Motowheels red oil cap and drain plug- Rizoma black anodized front and rear brake reservoir- Agras red front axle sliders-Yoyodyne frame sliders-Samco red coolant hose kit-Evolution Composites Carbon Fiber tank cover and panels!

more to come!
bryan niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement