My Front Sprocket Came Loose! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Gr8 White
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 Raven R1
My Front Sprocket Came Loose!

Was riding home after work when my bike just cut out...still had power on the dash...

Pulled over and found the front sprocket nut had come off while I was riding.
I didn't hear any funny noises or felt any funny grinding...luckily the sprocket was still in place.

When I put it in gear it does nothing, the small "shaft" just turns slowly so there's no reaction to gear selection even though it slips easily from N-1 and N-2 gear.

Do you think there's any major damage or what could have gone wrong if withe the nut out and the sprocket not secure?

Earlier the morning my dash light wouldn't turn on as well as my headlights. Hi beam still goes on when I flash....and my horn is also dead?
Gr8 White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Kangaroo
para bellum

your bike has an owner issue.

Sig courtesy of SpidermanSS 9-15-09

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post

Who put your front sprocket on because done right they are nearly impossible to take off with force...to have them vibrate off just doesn't happen

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Gr8 White
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 Raven R1
Bought him like that dec, no fiddling has been done...I found it strange coz the cover that goes over the front sprocket was also not on the bike...
Gr8 White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
unless someone didnt stake the nut
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Kangaroo
para bellum

you sure it had one to begin with?

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Bikes: 07 r1
and let the conspiracy begin...who did it, what happened..who knows...

Ridin' like tomorrow isnt promised

07 R1:
Blue puig windscreen, Two brothers slip ons, -1 +2 sprockets, Blue stealth rear sprocket, Blue EK chain, CNC cut R1 heel guards, Hot bodies flush mount turn signals, Blue axle blocks, Blue rear hugger, Puig chain guard, Blue R1 rims, R1 Progrips, shogun frame sliders, carbon fiber mirror block offs
r1Totzauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Treemugger
For no ma'am

Bikes: 12'RSV4 14'SuperTenere 15'R1M
i had a buddy when knew a guy whos sister was dating a guy who turned out to be gay and the guy he was sleeping with had cousin that owned a bike that one day just stopped working , the guy brings it to the dealer and BAM, chupacabra.. just like that
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Kangaroo
para bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1Totzauer View Post
and let the conspiracy begin...who did it, what happened..who knows...

Its not a conspiracy. When you buy a bike, it is a smart thing to go over every major nut and bolt before you buy let alone your first ride, including making sure all the switches work.

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
r1Totzauer
blue blurrrr go zoom

Bikes: 07 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treemugger View Post
i had a buddy when knew a guy whos sister was dating a guy who turned out to be gay and the guy he was sleeping with had cousin that owned a bike that one day just stopped working , the guy brings it to the dealer and BAM, chupacabra.. just like that
.. I don't even know what's funny.. But I read it 3 tunes thinking wtf and laughed every time ... Damn chupacabras

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo View Post
Its not a conspiracy. When you buy a bike, it is a smart thing to go over every major nut and bolt before you buy let alone your first ride, including making sure all the switches work.
That's shoulda been the 1st thing done buying a used bike ...

Ridin' like tomorrow isnt promised

07 R1:
Blue puig windscreen, Two brothers slip ons, -1 +2 sprockets, Blue stealth rear sprocket, Blue EK chain, CNC cut R1 heel guards, Hot bodies flush mount turn signals, Blue axle blocks, Blue rear hugger, Puig chain guard, Blue R1 rims, R1 Progrips, shogun frame sliders, carbon fiber mirror block offs
r1Totzauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Treemugger
For no ma'am

Bikes: 12'RSV4 14'SuperTenere 15'R1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1Totzauer View Post
.. I don't even know what's funny.. But I read it 3 tunes thinking wtf and laughed every time ... Damn chupacabras
Damn bro, that wasnt supposed to be funny, true story
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
Blue05r1k
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 05 blue R1
Treemugger....... Nice!
Blue05r1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Leona74
My R1 eats me.

Leona74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
GTODAVE
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R1
this happened on my r6 did it grind the threads off the shaft?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #15
R1liam
Keep it between the hedges!

Bikes: RD125, 250, 350LCs. '07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 White View Post
Was riding home after work when my bike just cut out...still had power on the dash...

I didn't hear any funny noises or felt any funny grinding...luckily the sprocket was still in place.

When I put it in gear it does nothing, the small "shaft" just turns slowly so there's no reaction to gear selection even though it slips easily from N-1 and N-2 gear.

Do you think there's any major damage or what could have gone wrong if withe the nut out and the sprocket not secure?

Earlier the morning my dash light wouldn't turn on as well as my headlights. Hi beam still goes on when I flash....and my horn is also dead?
Was there any damage to the splines on the out-put shaft (where the sprocket sits) and the same question for the sprocket cut-outs that mate with the out-put shaft?

As for the electrics, have you checked the fuses?
R1liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #16
Doppler
I eat my R1

Bikes: 07 R1
Do you have PRM activated? Sometimes the extra power can cause sprockets to come loose if they are not lockwired properly.

Electrics will be a seperate issue.
Doppler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #17
R1liam
Keep it between the hedges!

Bikes: RD125, 250, 350LCs. '07 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
Do you have PRM activated?
How many years has that joke been around? The old ones are the best
R1liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #18
capR1
If only I was good enough!....

Bikes: 03 R1 (5Pw)
You dont know how happy I am for You! It fills my heart with joy! The previous owner even had the decency to remove the cover for you so you could have the pleasure of watching your nut work its way loose, that was so thoughtful of him! Is there anything else loose/missing that he may have left for you to not bother checking? Just get out there and ride till the next problem occurs then post it up so we can have another laugh lol! Are you a fully signed up to Mr Ts school , fooo!
capR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
r1_dav3
R190-`Tyre Fryer`

Bikes: 10r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 White View Post

what 'could' have gone wrong?

ive had this happen before (on my bunky not on the r1 thank god)- long story the bunky has a modified swingarm and runs an offset sprocket.

the offset sprocket is thicker so the peen washer (that you fold over the sprocket nut to stop it coming loose) wasnt locking with the drive shaft keyed spline.

when the drive sprocket fell off, the chain wrapped the rear hub which then tried to pull the drive sprocket still locked in the chain, inbetween the swingarm and the frame gouging and denting both and locking the rear tyre.

so moral of the story- what could go wrong is a locked rear tyre at the worst possible time and a bad crash.

there is always a positive locking 'system' of some kind used on the drive sprocket nut. sometimes its a peen washer, sometimes a locking screw. yamaha usually uses peened washers if your bike doesnt have one then its possibly missing. there should be no way a correctly installed drive sprocket should come undone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
22nd Jan 2006: i have it hooked to my horn button and i flip the MPS switch by my left leg and tur it on and hold the horn button under full throttle and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavisr1 View Post
3rd Aug 2006: Please be the plugs please be the plugs please be the plugs please be the plugs please....well you get the Idea.......
r1_dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #20
capR1
If only I was good enough!....

Bikes: 03 R1 (5Pw)
there should be no way a correctly installed drive sprocket should come undone. ....... How did I find my front sprocket to be loose then with std factory fittings? Have you noticed how the sprocket is machined/installed/ held? I heard/felt something amiss as I took up the drive when moving of from a standing start and lokked to see what was wrong in ALL my drivetrain! Loose front sprocket, even though it had a lock tab fitted. Ask most mechanics in a dealer/workshop and they will tell you its a common problem with todays high output big bikes, why? cos most nuggets dont bother to do basic machine maintenance/checks but I only found it because I did notice there was something not right and didnt rely on the notion that it should be ok cos there has to be a decent method of securing it from the factory, its a sportsbike your riding not a daily runabout remember?....
capR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement