How do you slow down? Downshift first or brake? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Technique & Riding Want to kneescrape? Go faster in corners? Smoother riding? Anything about how to ride goes in here please.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
gnuwolf
I eat my R1. :)

How do you slow down? Downshift first or brake?

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering which is better when trying to slow down to take a corner on a race track?

Downshift first then brake or the other way around?

If downshift first, how much stress does the clutch and gearbox can take?

Thanks.

Cheers!
gnuwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
I blip the throttle while downshifting

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
On the brakes last...but that doesn't mean you won't be downshifting as well..just depends how many gears you need to go down, but you will want to be applying brakes to allow for trail braking into the corner.

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
On the brakes last...but that doesn't mean you won't be downshifting as well..just depends how many gears you need to go down, but you will want to be applying brakes to allow for trail braking into the corner.
Um, no. Brake like hell while you're downshifting. utilize both braking forces at once. Motor to slow the rear, binders for the front. Blip to get the motor closer to the speed of the tire.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
Um, no. Brake like hell while you're downshifting. utilize both braking forces at once. Motor to slow the rear, binders for the front. Blip to get the motor closer to the speed of the tire.
Thats how I do it,but what do I know.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
Thats how I do it,but what do I know.
You must be just like me, a know nothing douche nozzle! Weeeeeeee.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Stonewall
ROWDY

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister37 View Post
You must be just like me, a know nothing douche nozzle! Weeeeeeee.
No Track but on the roads I run, I don't use my brakes very much. Since I had the ECU flashed, with the 09 It has just enough engine breaking along with downshifting into the correct gear prior to the curve that most of the time I don't use any brakes.

Last edited by Stonewall; 08-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
SoloStunna99
I eat my R1

Bikes: '11 r1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
No Track but on the roads I run, I don't use my brakes very much. Since I had the ECU flashed, with the 09 It has just enough engine breaking along with downshifting into the correct gear prior to the curve that most of the time I don't use any brakes.

I'm with you, who needs brakes anyway....? lol
SOLD - track whore - '08 CBR1000RR
SOLD - '09 R1
track whore - '11 r1 (flashed ECU)
SoloStunna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
R1Teal
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 05 R1 Track
On the brakes first (front only), then blip and downshift as many times as required. It is not wise to rely on engine braking to slow down.

Most of my local race/lapping track is ran while in 2nd gear but check out the braking at the ends of the two consecutive straights to see what I mean.

http://youtu.be/qwWMgubUT_0
R1Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Chop
I eat my chicken stripes

Bikes: Ex- Fz1 Fazer 07 -> R1 2008 Graphite
When i brake hard i use both breaks and downshifting a couple or 3 gears, but normally use breaks and then downshift to keep the engine from stalling.
PP Tuning Rearsets GP // Power Commander 3 // Race Baffles // LeoVince Y Pipe // MRA DB Screen // Pillion Cowl // Pazzo shorties // stainless steel rear lines // Ohlins front Springs+Oil // Fiberglass body custom painted // Dunlop GP Racer 211
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/images/smilies/rmwl2.gif
Trackday fotos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3JL...feature=digest

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0px...eature=channel
Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Treemugger
For no ma'am

Bikes: Wanted: Desmosedici
I assume your talking about a straight into a slow corner. How can you downshift if you're near max revs like you should be if your going 10/10ths? Brake like hell and blip to match revs on the way down is the simplest way i can put it.

Sig by: the man, the legend, Petrol_Spice
Treemugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
baroc
My R1 eats me.

I think it will depend of your speed before entering the corner . Personally I do think that i caress the brake more often than shifting down first specially in fast corners . Why ? simple you are always trying to drift a bit while maintaining stability and cornering speed . One of the best way to do it is to slow the front end just a little bit more than the rear before shifting it down and get the rear wheel spinning slightly on the gas. At very low speed you just shift down as you make sure there will be no issue with your transmission .
baroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
JgorinacR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 04' YZF-R1
So I've always wondered, does engine breaking put a lot of stress on your engine over the years? Just was always curious, I do it regardless because it feels so natural to do..
JgorinacR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Bikes: 00 R1

I don't ride my bike on the track, but if I did, I would brake, blip and downshift all simultaneously.

The purpose of blipping (as was already mentioned) is to match the wheel speed with the engine speed, as to not lock up the rear tire. The reason for doing this all simultaneously, is to shorten your braking zone (hense quicker lap times).

Riders that are fast on a closed racing course, brake very, very hard at the end of a fast straight, into a tight, slow corner, all the while they are blipping and downshifting at the same time.

If you're asking this question, (no disrespect) you shouldn't be taking a liter bike out on track. A riding school would also be in order.

Peace.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop View Post

When i brake hard i use both breaks and downshifting a couple or 3 gears, but normally use breaks and then downshift to keep the engine from stalling.

Yo homie, it's spelled "brakes"

Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
grommet
Older and faster

Bikes: 02 FZ1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Dude View Post
brake very, very hard at the end of a fast straight, into a tight, slow corner, all the while they are blipping
It is very difficult to be braking at max and blip the throttle at the same time. Even more to trail off the brakes after lean-in if you're still doing this.

I'm in the downshift and ease the clutch out without blipping while applying brakes with the greatest amount of control camp. Keeping it simple, fewer variables, and it still has the similar effect of helping slow you down.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Racer Dude
I eat my R1

I don't track my bike, so I'll take your word for it

I suppose if you braked hard enough before downshifting, the engine speed would be low enough to not lock up the rear.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
grommet
Older and faster

Bikes: 02 FZ1
The key to not sliding the tire is easing the clutch out very gently. Make your own slipper by learning this.
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #19
Hansi
My R1 eats me.

Make sure you are as "one" with the bike as possible and use as much of your ass and legs as possible to anchor yourself to your bike. You should already have your ass a bit to the side in the seat. Dont take all the braking forces with your arms.

Dont SLAM the brakes but squeeze firmly. Just to let the front end suspension take the first hit without bottoming out. After that initial firm squeeze, give the brakes all the pressure you dare to. If you are going in fast, you can probably brake 100% without lifting the rear or overloading the front. Try to keep that hard pressure as long as you can, but as the speed goes down you will have to take a little pressure off the brakes when you feel the rear lift too much or the front loosing traction.

The important part is to brake HARD from the beginning of braking and after that try to only brake less and less to find the correct entry speed for the corner and only have very little braking being done after the turn-in. By braking like this it is easy to feel and use the traction. Adding MORE brake pressure near the end of braking is more risky as you "burn the candle in both ends".

This is a video from one of my track days. The interesting thing is the G-force graphs where you can see exactly how hard I am braking. It might not be 100% in sync but you will get my point.

Go to 6.40 minutes in, that is the longest straight on one of my fastest laps.

Hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
poland68
My R1 eats me.

Brakes or down shift

I hate to state the obvious but one is called brakes and one is a transmission.
Brake pads are easy to replace. Clutch plates are harder and transmissions are even harder and cost a lot more. Lose your front or rear brakes you van limp home. Lose a clutch or tyranny and not going to happen.

I race an R1 powered D-Sport racer in SCCA. I ride a Yamaha Venture. Use the brakes to slow both vehicles. Use the transmissions yo put power on the ground.
poland68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement