Flash tune with pc5 : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
frogsak1
ghost

Bikes: 2012 R1
Flash tune with pc5

Hi all I live in aus so it's a huge effort to send in my ecu to flash tune and I am not the best with computers so here is the question

If my ecu is flashed and I am not happy with the fuel map can I install the pc5 and get it dynoed and fun the map of the pc5. I got the pc5 for free of my rep

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
frogsak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
SySt
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R1
Yes, you can. Is there a reason you think that would not work?

Sent from my DROID4 using Motorcycle.com Free App
SySt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
frogsak1
ghost

Well I am not shore if it would or not because of the stuff they do to the ecu . Will the ecu use its map that will be loaded into the ecu by flash tune , but then if I use a pc5 the ecu will then use the map I load onto the pc5 instead of the map that flash tune loaded

I hope this makes sence it's getting late at night

Old 08-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
v1025566
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

If you send your ecu into flash tune, they will flash it to suit your mods, From what I heave read, the pc5 takes the signal from the ecu and changes it to whatever is in the pcV. I purchased the interface and got it sent to nz in 3 weeks. You should just get the interface and sell the pcv, it would be redundant unless you want an autotuner.
v1025566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
SySt
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsak1 View Post
Well I am not shore if it would or not because of the stuff they do to the ecu . Will the ecu use its map that will be loaded into the ecu by flash tune , but then if I use a pc5 the ecu will then use the map I load onto the pc5 instead of the map that flash tune loaded

I hope this makes sence it's getting late at night

The power commander effectively scales the fuel map in the ECU, whatever map that may be.
SySt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
SyN4ps*
My R1 eats me.

Dyno tune is mandatory, if not, it will be useless
SyN4ps* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
frogsak1
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1025566 View Post
If you send your ecu into flash tune, they will flash it to suit your mods, From what I heave read, the pc5 takes the signal from the ecu and changes it to whatever is in the pcV. I purchased the interface and got it sent to nz in 3 weeks. You should just get the interface and sell the pcv, it would be redundant unless you want an autotuner.
This is what I don't understand if I have no pc5 on the bike how am I going to get the bike dynoed and get a pc5 map and install it onto my ecu

I know I will need the interface to play with the settings in my ecu but how do I get the correct A/F mixture to change my map on the ecu If I don't install a pc5

Do u just guess

Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
v1025566

Who ever dynos it alters the map in the flash tune software, then hits the flash button just as if they were doing it in the pcV software, I think. The reason you need a pcv in the first place is because you have done mods and your standard ecu can't compensate enough for it. It puts out the standard signal and the pcv modifies it to whatever map the dyno guy has loaded to it, that should suit you bike. when you get the interface your dyno guy can alter all the fuel tables in the ecu so that it is putting out the correct signals in the first place, thus allowing you to hang the pcv on the clothesline and use it for target practise. this is how ive inerpreted it anyway. im sure if im way out of the ballpark i will be corrected.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
frogsak1
ghost

Quote:
Who ever dynos it alters the map in the flash tune software, then hits the flash button just as if they were doing it in the pcV software, I think. The reason you need a pcv in the first place is because you have done mods and your standard ecu can't compensate enough for it. It puts out the standard signal and the pcv modifies it to whatever map the dyno guy has loaded to it, that should suit you bike. when you get the interface your dyno guy can alter all the fuel tables in the ecu so that it is putting out the correct signals in the first place, thus allowing you to hang the pcv on the clothesline and use it for target practise. this is how ive inerpreted it anyway. im sure if im way out of the ballpark i will be corrected.
That sounds good
But mate if I had a dyno guy in Australia that does flash tuning I wouldn't of sent my ecu to the USA to get flashed I would of got it done here
Can I dyno my bike with a flashed tuned ecu with a pc5 then take the map of the pc5 and transfer it to the flashed ecu with the interface

Old 08-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
v1025566

you can but you don't need the pcv, your dyno guy can make the corrections to the fuel map directly to the ecu via the interface. If you don't have the interface then you would use the pcv as normal, you won't be able to import your map to the ecu without the interface.
So if you sent your ecu to the US you will utilize the engine braking and whatever shit you asked them for, but use the pcv map that you get made on the dyno, for the fueling.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
frogsak1
ghost

Quote:
you can but you don't need the pcv, your dyno guy can make the corrections to the fuel map directly to the ecu via the interface. If you don't have the interface then you would use the pcv as normal, you won't be able to import your map to the ecu without the interface.
So if you sent your ecu to the US you will utilize the engine braking and whatever shit you asked them for, but use the pcv map that you get made on the dyno, for the fueling.
Thanks that's answer My question thanks again

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Another option is to get the autotune module and tune it yourself with the PCV. It's what I've done and it works great.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
daviboy
I eat my R1

Im from AUS, and i just ordered a Flash tune kit, waiting to load PCV Maps on the interface and flash my ECU. I already sent me ECU once to the states to get done by ECUnleashed, but wasnt happy with the results so im going to do it again myself through Flash Tune!

Where in Aus you from mate?
daviboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
darkone7
R1 OH MAN!!!!

Bikes: 2012 R1 ; Leo Vince Down pipe; Two Bros juice box; Brisk Race plugs; ECU flash unit; HID 5k kit; shorty LED turn signals; Fender eliminator w/lite kit; custom folding levers; two brothers silver series carbon cans; bmc air filter.
If you have your bike Dyno tuned using your power commander, you can then save off that map to your PC. When you send your ECU into be flashed, send that file with it. They can put that perfect map directly on the ECU. Then set your Power commander to zero map. There will be not further use for it unless you want to dyno your bike again. I have the flash unit from Flash tune. Power commander maps can be directly imported. Once on the ECU they have to be turned off on the Power Commander, or set to zero map. Not stock map, but zero map!! Or else your fueling will be wrong.

It's all about the ride... and the company!!
darkone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Acidsamuraix
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2009 R1, 2014 DR-Z400SM
However you do it, make sure to have the ECU zeroed out before the tune if you plan on importing the map to the ECU at some time in the future.

For instance, if you have Map x on the ECU (instead of 0 map), then dyno tune to modify the PCV, it'll make the changes as a difference to what is currently coming from the ECU, not from base. So then if you import that to the ECU later, it will be all messed up because you'll overwrite the base map with a correction map. For example, if the base map is +5 at some point, and the dyno needs +7 for optimal performance, the PCV will be +2, not +7, so when you import it back to the ECU, you'll have +2 (wrong) instead of +7 (correct).

If you're only having it flashed once then any mods will be done on the PCV later, it shouldn't matter since you're never changing the base map again.
-Fender Eliminator, LP flushmounts, OEM Seat Cowl
-Ballistic Evo2 8-cell battery
-ASV C5 Shorty Brake/Clutch Levers (blue), Renthal Dual Compound Grips
-Zero Gravity Corsa (light smoke)
-Goodridge SS brake lines
-Driven 520 conversion 16/45, RK GXW Chain, Probolt Sprocket Nuts
-GBRacing Case Covers, Vortex rearsets
Acidsamuraix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsamuraix View Post
However you do it, make sure to have the ECU zeroed out before the tune if you plan on importing the map to the ECU at some time in the future.

For instance, if you have Map x on the ECU (instead of 0 map), then dyno tune to modify the PCV, it'll make the changes as a difference to what is currently coming from the ECU, not from base. So then if you import that to the ECU later, it will be all messed up because you'll overwrite the base map with a correction map. For example, if the base map is +5 at some point, and the dyno needs +7 for optimal performance, the PCV will be +2, not +7, so when you import it back to the ECU, you'll have +2 (wrong) instead of +7 (correct).

If you're only having it flashed once then any mods will be done on the PCV later, it shouldn't matter since you're never changing the base map again.
Great advice there, just use the 2012 R1 91+ octane "base map" then tune the fuel with the PCV . The "base maps" (step one) contain no fuel changes,only timing and throttle limitation changes. Only Flashtunes own '09 y-pipe "base map" contains fueling changes. I would get the autotune,the o2 sensor in the exhaust system close to the collector will give a better reading than a sniffer (from dyno) shoved in the pipe and hence a better overall map.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
marider
Feel the speed attack!

Bikes: Modded R1'09 /ex:R1'07+2xR1'03+R6'03
I sent my ECU for flashing on Friday but reading this I regret selling my PCV+AT before the "final tune" is made.. Anyway I have my very latest "autotuned" map downloaded to my PC so it's at least something to be put in ECU ( I'm running European R1). Any other advices here?

EU 09 R1:
full Akrapovic Evo2,F-T'd ECU,Bazzaz ZFi-TC+Z-AFM,Marchesinis,Ohlins damper+FPK108+.95 springs,q'Ohlins r.shock,
Brembo RCS/w Hel&Braking SK rotors,Graves block offs,Clutch Kit,Fabbri screen,GYTR:sliders,clutch sliders,gel seat+cowl,Gilles VCR+Variobar,Gregg's Flushmount,-1/+1 sprockets,CustomLED mod. 3/4Dyno:170.1 RWHP,77 Tq.
marider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
frogsak1
ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by marider View Post
I sent my ECU for flashing on Friday but reading this I regret selling my PCV+AT before the "final tune" is made.. Anyway I have my very latest "autotuned" map downloaded to my PC so it's at least something to be put in ECU ( I'm running European R1). Any other advices here?
Is the auto tune that good that it tunes as you ride ??? The dyno guys here in aus say not to have them because they are not reliable ??

Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #19
v1025566

thats because the dyno guys there in oz want to take your cash.

The autotuner works on the fly and is perfectly reliable as long as it's installed correctly.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #20
frogsak1
ghost

Quote:
thats because the dyno guys there in oz want to take your cash.

The autotuner works on the fly and is perfectly reliable as long as it's installed correctly.

Installed correctly. ? I will install it as the direction on the papers they send and there would most likely be something on YouTube

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement