Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
King Kenny
I like Beer

Bikes: K6 & K8 Gix Thou, 954 & R6
Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences?

Guys,

Seen this advertisement on the net for Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels for $2750 including Taxes (Australian GST). This is a 25% saving off normal retail prices & about $1000 cheaper than BST’s.

Just want to know how they compare to BST’s in general & any other info in general. I don’t think that they look quite as elegant as the BST’s with chunkier spokes (still 5 spoke design) but the design looks very similar. They would primarily be used on the road for weekend jaunts (fast) & the general commute. Would do the odd track day too I’m sure but would not be a track based bike by any means.

http://www.dymag.com/?q=products

King Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Bikes: 2001 Yamaha R1
GET IT!!!
I have the Dymag C/F Magnesium Gold. But im still collecting parts
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 08 Raven R1, 97 F3, 94 VMax, 65 CA95, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
Z064life has a set he's crashed a few times and tracks all the time. They look pretty good. Finish isn't as spotless as the BST's, but I like the construction better than the BST's.

Go for it, great product.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Bikes: 04 R1
what meister said, dymags and that other goofy looking brand that by themselves look retarded but on the bike look great are the two that i'd consider getting if i felt like spending that kind of money.
rorytsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
ebags
1290!

Bikes: KTM SuperDuke 1290R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytsm View Post
that other goofy looking brand.
They are called .... ah shit .... I can't remember either but I know what you mean so well put.

PETROLSPICE ORIGINALS®

ebags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Redgecko
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Bikes: 06 R1 ULE
Rotobox are the other ones

But yes OP I would go for it, that's a great price for CF wheels and Dymag has a good wheel pedigree.

Last edited by Redgecko; 08-11-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Redgecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
Rotobox are the other ones

But yes OP I would go for it, that's a great price for CF wheels and Dymag has a good wheel pedigree.
The wise has spoken
Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Bad ass wheels,get 'em ! Good to be different as well, B.S.T.'s are more "common place" than Dymags, and less $$ = no brainer !
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Redgecko
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Just goes to show how modding has progressed on here.
A couple of years ago I would never have expected to see "BST" and "common place" in the same post.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
Just goes to show how modding has progressed on here.
A couple of years ago I would never have expected to see "BST" and "common place" in the same post.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Guate
♠♣♦♥★†

Bikes: 13 RSV4---09 R6
I like the Dymag better than the BST's, Chris needs to post some close up pictures of his wheels, come on Z06, post some pictures.
Guate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
FXCLM5
Bombaclaud

Bikes: 09 r1, 06 600rr trackwhore
am i the only person that is going to tell you no?

aftermarket rims are pure bling,

and yes they are lighter then stock OEM rims, but be honest to yourself, can you even handle the stock power of a r1? yea that slip on... noise and bling, same thing for rims, its bling

i got marchesini rims on my 09, if it was my $$$, id buy a season pass to a local trackday provider, and hand the leftovers $$$ to the pirelli tire guy - this way the $$$ is actually being spent wisely, and i get to keep on expanding my skillset and continue to learn new things

having aftermarket rims - makes you clean your rims like a crackhead after each ride, and makes you extremely frustrated/mad when you see rock chips on them.... i am thinking about selling my marchesini to pay for trackdays next year

SPIDI DPS Neck Reusable Vest Airbag
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
FXCLM5
Bombaclaud

Bikes: 09 r1, 06 600rr trackwhore
but the carbon fiber dymags do look nice, but if i were going aftermarket i would stray away from a 5spoke design that looks almost OEM

SPIDI DPS Neck Reusable Vest Airbag
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
Redgecko
I'm an Englishman in WI.

If you had ridden with CF wheels you would know they are way way more than just bling

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
rorytsm
damn turkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guate View Post
I like the Dymag better than the BST's, Chris needs to post some close up pictures of his wheels, come on Z06, post some pictures.
he's at the track this weekend.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Guate
♠♣♦♥★†

Bikes: 13 RSV4---09 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytsm View Post
he's at the track this weekend.
I wish I had the money to do as many track days as this guys do, someday
Guate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
n4speed
I eat my R1

Bikes: 09 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post

and yes they are lighter then stock OEM rims, but be honest to yourself, can you even handle the stock power of a r1? yea that slip on... noise and bling, same thing for rims, its bling

i got marchesini rims on my 09, if it was my $$$, id buy a season pass to a local trackday provider, and hand the leftovers $$$ to the pirelli tire guy - this way the $$$ is actually being spent wisely, and i get to keep on expanding my skillset and continue to learn new things

having aftermarket rims - makes you clean your rims like a crackhead after each ride, and makes you extremely frustrated/mad when you see rock chips on them.... i am thinking about selling my marchesini to pay for trackdays next year
I have the same opinion..
Stomp Grip Pads
Integrated tail ligth
Double Bubble Screen
GoodRidge Brake Lines
Addon Radiator
HM QuickShifter
n4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
rorytsm
damn turkeys

@ people saying CF wheels are just for bling
Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
Benocehcap
Sonic Boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post

Guess i am one of then

Last edited by Benocehcap; 08-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Benocehcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
King Kenny
I like Beer

Bikes: K6 & K8 Gix Thou, 954 & R6
Cheers guys - some pics of Z06's wheels on a bike would be nice (as would real feedback!)

FXCLMS:
I want the wheels for their performance, nothing else - I'm not in to bling. They will be covered in muck half the time anyways as I ride daily. I'm not concerned that the wheels look OEM with their design (5 spokes) - it might mean that the bike wont be noticed as much by potential thieves. Anyways I'm I'm sure 5 spokes is an optimal design of mass vs stiffness vs strength so that's exactly what I want.

I can't understand how you can't discern any handling improvement with your Marchesinis lightweight wheels on your bike because my forged Oz wheels mad a hell of a difference to my CBR954RR handling wise. They made the bike feel like a flickable 600cc bike & not a duller Superbike. Plus you feel the difference ALL THE TIME especially when flicking the bike from upright to heavy lean or from left lean to right lean. I wont be using this bike on the track (I have a 2006 R6 for that) it will be my road bike & I have big plans for it modification-wise.

The reason I put up this post was to get info on flaws, lifespan, etc. so I can make an informed decision. Stronger wheels are preferable to me vs slight weight difference or more elegant spokes so in that case the Dymags would be a prefered choice to me vs the BST's. Also I didnt even know that Dymag made CF wheels until this week let alone the Rotobox's but like I mention above I'd be dubious of their negative affects in crosswinds with so much of the wheel filled in with those massive spokes. The are an very interesting/clever design with hollow spokes open to the rim though! Will also be in the market for CMC / Carbon-ceramic rotors too but will do the wheels first as I need a set of wheels anyways & the rotors wont help the heavy OEM rear wheel perform any better. This is another topic for another day however...

Last edited by King Kenny; 08-12-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo
King Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement