New '06... Wait. New '12 Mod Addicted Owner??? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - '04 GSXR600 (track) - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
New '06... Wait. New '12 Mod Addicted Owner???

Alright. If you read my original thread, "'06 mod addicted owner", You know a little of my background and my reasoning for buying an R1. She is a prestine, 2006 50th Anniversary around 10k miles (at that time) with a couple bits already installed. Reason for not gunning for a brand new bike was the theme, "reasonable" my wife implied as this was a replacement vehicle that will have little to no financial impact on our spending. Yeah right... Well, an opportunity came up to refi our Infinity with our credit union for an amazing rate, so we decided to cash in on it. The topic of the bike came up, and we looked at our financing options and decided we wanted to refi the bike for a ridiculously low rate as well. Our credit union told us that they wouldn't refi it unless I gave them a down payment on the new loan, reason being, the value of the bike was less than the amount currently financed. Also, they told me this was the last year they could actually finance an '06, so looking for decent trade-in value in the future was going to get very slim very fast. I already didn't have piece of mind knowing if I wrecked this bike today, the insurance claim wouldn't cover my loan amount So, after a couple weeks of discussions and financial planning, believe it or not, I'm in a position to unload the '06 and pick up a new '12

Now don't get me wrong, I fell in love with my R1. The '06 has the best of all worlds... Especially when you upgrade the suspension. Power, looks, flickability, all of the above... Just at too much of a financial risk for me at this moment.

Now, I'm naturally a tough negotiator, and after some additional coaching from my Uncle-in-law (he's the best number cruncher in my circle by far and also my favorite unlce ), I was ready to hit the market hard and see what I could get for the amount I'm willing to pay, which is nothing over MSRP O.T.D for starters...

I called a few dealers and did some light negotiations, even visited a few and got the '06 appraised for trade-in value. No one was willing to give me the numbers I wanted, so the search continued into Labor Day weekend.

Then I found a dealer in Azuza that promised me top dollar for my trade in before I walked into the building

I spotted a lovely Raven R1, though they had all the '12 models, for some reason the new Raven stuck out the most...

They called this "Indian Theme"

'12 in Blue

'12 Raven

And me being a Honda boy previously, I had to look at other brands... Like Ducati and this Honda CBR 1000RR

Honda CBR1000RR Dash and Showa's

I sent those pictures to my wife's cell, and she immediately replied back and told me to get the black one. So the black one it is...

The negotiations began. They initially came in with the MSRP of the bike, plus dealer prep, plus delievery fees, plus tax and DMV fees; basically take that number and add whatever was left on the last loan into this one. I immediately got that number down by price-matching with a local competitive Yamaha dealer that advertised their new R1's for a stupid low price. Then they wanted to appraise my bike, but before we could go outside and take a look at it, they tried to ask me how much I owe; that answer wasn't coming out until I got my numbers FIRST

Long story short, they infact DID come back with the highest appraised value, but I knew I could get them up a little higher, but we'll see...

So we sit down for some hard number crunching. My #1 goal was to get them to buy the R1 for the highest amount possible, and whatever little money is left over to carry it into my new price... That being said, I know I'm going to take a hit, but the size of the hit is based on how much I can get them down... So myself and the sales manager (the sales rep has been pushed aside at this point) begin negotiating like two veteran mortgage brokers... About an hour goes by with back and forth... Each time the number is dropping... $19k OTD, $18,5 OTD, $17k OTD, $16,5 OTD... And now the numbers are finally starting to make sense And after about another 30 minutes going back and for with the sales manager (even the owner got involved at one point to approve the numbers) and a couple times I was willing to walk away (even noting that this model is already a year old), we finally came to a number OTD I was more than happy with. They basically paid off my bad loan for free and gave me a killer deal on a '12 R1. Had them write up a sales contract and took that number to my credit union and viola! New 2012 Raven R1 for Mark.

But now we have a slight problem... I need to take most the mods off my bike before turning it in as they give ZERO value to the bike appraisal!!!

So in a day's work starting around noon, I started putting these OEM parts back on the bike:

Aftermarket parts being removed and replaced with OEM:

-Ohlins Shock
-Rizoma Oil Cap
-SSR Gas Cap
-Rizoma Res & Bracket
-Rizoma Grips & Conical Ends
-Ohlins Damper
-Evotech Triple Nut
-D-Zus fasteners
-A&R Motorsports HID's
-Power Commander III USB

Aftermarket bits they are staying with the bike (since I either sold or don't have the OEM parts)

-Galfer Rotors Front & Back (I think I'm done with Galfer anyway)
-Puig DB Windscreen
-Graves Velocity Stacks
-K&N Filter
-Driven Block Off Plates (not worth replacing OEM AIS)
-Sato Racing Rearsets
-Vortex Top Triple (OEM yolk is trashed)
-Brembo MK2 MC
-OEM Solo Cowl

HID removal, D-Zus, gas cap, and oil cap

OEM Damper

OEM Brake res.

Power Commander, Ohlins Shock

So after about 8 hours of labor I have most of the OEM items replaced. All that is left is the Rizoma grips (to be replaced with Rethal's) and if I can find a front master before Friday I could keep the Brembo MK2.

Looks like some lucky guy is going to inherit all those goodies...

I guess it's safe to say that I'm crossing over to the CROSSPLANE side

PARTS ARE FOR SALE... OHLINS SHOCK AND POWER COMMANDER FOR NOW... SEE MY SIG!

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

View my MOD ADDICTED 2012 R1 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

Being a biker is not a welfare sport.
iGoldeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Nice man, glad you're moving up. You'll love the crossplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Bikes: 2012 Yamaha R1 Raven - '04 GSXR600 (track) - 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Nice man, glad you're moving up. You'll love the crossplane
Thanks! Everyone I know that had an 04-06 and moved to an 09+ has never looked back

Wish I knew someone locally with a FlashTune interface!

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Redgecko
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Bikes: 06 R1 ULE
R.i.p.

Redgecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
kingnba6
R1der

Bikes: 2006 R1 Blue
nice move. team yamaha. lets see what you do to the cross plane now

R1-013 'Lucky 13th' Squadron
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
close2reality
I eat my R1

Bikes: '12 R1
within twenty minutes of having it you need to flash-tune it!!!
close2reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
close2reality
I eat my R1

Bikes: '12 R1
by the way dont hate on "the indian' theme it looks good cleaned up!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	472730  
close2reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
R.i.p.
Your R1 is still my favorite yellow bike of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
nice move. team yamaha. lets see what you do to the cross plane now
Thanks brotha! It's hard to move away from Yamaha after the '06 R1... The seed has been planted

Quote:
Originally Posted by close2reality View Post
within twenty minutes of having it you need to flash-tune it!!!
I need to find someone close to LA/Long Beach/The OC until I get an interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by close2reality View Post
by the way dont hate on "the indian' theme it looks good cleaned up!!
I must say it was pretty corny on the stealership floor, but your's is quite nice!

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Bizzle23
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1
Nice upgrade. Waiting to see what's in store for the new toy
Bizzle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Zwilks14
I eat my R1

Bikes: 05 R-1
would you be willing to trade me the satos for my stock rearsets ( with some cash obv) if i next day mailed em to ya????
pcIII with custom maps
Graves velocity stacks
driven d3 grips
asv f3 shorty levers , black with silver adjuster
chrome swingarm and rims
pearl paint with gold flake
6k hid's
hot bodies smoke windscreen
european fender eliminator
chrome rearsets and passenger pegs
watsen signals with matching paint
puig carbon fiber rear hugger
Puig chain guard
chrome bar ends
frame sliders
BMC air filter
shogun polished swingarm sliders/spools
Zwilks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwilks14 View Post
would you be willing to trade me the satos for my stock rearsets ( with some cash obv) if i next day mailed em to ya????
Generous offer my friend, but I am parting with this bike in such a short time you must be local for something like that.

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #12
SakiBomb
Herro!

Bikes: 05 R1
uhazPM.

Where did you go? Bert's?

Last edited by SakiBomb; 09-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
SakiBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
kevnev
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: '09 R1
Prices started at $19k OTD

How were you so upside down on the '06?
kevnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Ironhorz
Love that Crossplane...

Bikes: '12 50th Anniversary WGP Replica R1 #1277, 2005 R1: SOLD, 2001 R1: SOLD
Nice man! Your 06 was coming along VERY NICELY my friend, I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the new bike!

Let me know if you're interested in those brake lines, I can get them right out.

Thanks Petrol Spice

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

2012 R1 WGP 50th Anniversary #1277 Build Click here...
Ironhorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #15
polakw/aR1
Violence of action.

Bikes: Blue 5VY
Quote:
R.i.p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevnev View Post

This is what Im sayin, 19k otd seems a little errrr a lot high. Maybe its been awhile since I have payed for a bike...but all my toys are paid in cash up front, I will never finance a toy. If I cant afford it I dont buy it.

Godd luck with the 12 anyhow OP.

Sig by Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN Patton
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
polakw/aR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #16
ss55539
Banned

Bikes: '11 FLHX, 09 YFZ450R, 07 YZ450F, 06 R1 50th
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakw/aR1 View Post

This is what Im sayin, 19k otd seems a little errrr a lot high. Maybe its been awhile since I have payed for a bike...but all my toys are paid in cash up front, I will never finance a toy. If I cant afford it I dont buy it.

im with these guys, 19k

congrats on the bike
ss55539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
BUCKFARACK
sotally tober

Bikes: 06 RAVEN R1
Quote:
R.i.p.
At least he upgraded to a nice color.
BUCKFARACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
My94GT
I eat my R1

Bikes: 09 R6
nice upgrade, cant wait to see what you do with this new one. as for the brakes when the time comes hit up bauce racing aka chiefsmokedawg on here for some brake tech rotors at a killer price.
My94GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
iGoldeneye
WERA? \_(ツ)_/ #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb View Post
uhazPM.

Where did you go? Bert's?
Yep. Berts. I read their horrible Yelp reviews before I even bothered, but numbers don't lie

Quote:

I wasn't. That's Bert's ridiculous price tags plus my bad loan, even without the bad loan it wouldn't have been much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorz View Post
Nice man! Your 06 was coming along VERY NICELY my friend, I can't wait to see what you've got in store for the new bike!

Let me know if you're interested in those brake lines, I can get them right out.
Thanks brotha!!! I'm still pondering on those... Don't be suprised if you get a PM in a week or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakw/aR1 View Post

Everyone spends money differently for different reasons. Just because I finance it now doesn't mean I can't cut a cashier's check I like to use credit for what credit is supposed to be used for... Besides, there's nothing like paying it off with a bonus check and watching your FICO score go higher, and higher, and higher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My94GT View Post
nice upgrade, cant wait to see what you do with this new one. as for the brakes when the time comes hit up bauce racing aka chiefsmokedawg on here for some brake tech rotors at a killer price.
Thank you kind sir! I'm always looking for the deal. And I think I'm done with Galfer

Thanks Uncle P!

WERA #21

Quote:

Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
polakw/aR1
Violence of action.

Bikes: Blue 5VY
I know what your saying man, I have a score of over 870ish. Wasnt bashing ya just giving my .02

Sig by Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN Patton
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
polakw/aR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement