» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

09-11 R1 Mechanical Help Mechinical and Critical Issues for the 09-11 R1

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
The 09 r1 cooling thread :)

As some of you know, I've been having issues with my 09 r1 overheating as I'm coming off the track. When the bike was street ridden ealier this year it drove flawlessly. I attended my very first track day this year with those crazy cooks @ Irish Racing and now it's game on. During that track day I was very slow and steady and the bike had absolutely no issues with what little abuse my new found rookie abilities could produce.

Fast forward to later this year (2012) and I've learned a lot in a short time. Currently running bottom of advanced pace, the bike hovers around 195-205F (90-96c for you non American blokes) it continues to fluctuate like normal between the temperatures throughout the entire track session, but as I make my final round and enter the paddock the temperature immediately raises over 225F (107c). When the bike is finally stopped at my pit area the temperature immediately raises over 240F (115c)!!

Now comes to the issue I think is causing the overheating:

When I pull into the pit early at Daytona ( had a huge slip and went in to check over the bike) I noticed my coolant reservoir was over filled all the way to the top. Weird right? So I yanked the entire nose apart and pulled the radiator cap, couldn't see any fluid in the radiator. I removed the coolant resi off the bike and poured the overfilled amount into the radiator, and magically when the Radiator was full, the amount in the coolant reservoir was perfect again.

I thought maybe the new graves cap I bought was bad and was letting coolant pass, so I switched back to stock.

This process repeated the rest if the day and I had to keep filling the rad back up to stop the reservoir from overfilling and draining out of the overflow tube (causing my huge slip I've concluded). Had anyone had this issue?

I've now yanked the thermostat out to test it, I was thinking maybe it wasn't opening) and its tested ok. Now I'm stumped. I've flushed the entire bikes cooling system to make sure there are no leaks/blockages/aliens hiding to piss me off. I'm stumped. Any pros out there that can help?

I've taken the bike out on the street a few times now and it doesn't exceed 180F (82c) at all unless I'm sitting still.

Another note, sitting in the driveway, the bike will fluctuate between 208-196F (fans kick on from ecu flash) and the coolant reservoir will fill up with coolant. WHAT THE HELL MAN!!

Here's my issue with this entire situation. I track ride with a fellow forum member (JeffD) and he had an 09 r1 almost identical to mine. We have almost all the same mods, and even track ride at the same exact pace. He has zero issues out on track or street riding (he still squids around on the skreet ) im totally stumped. I can't squeeze the money on a new radiator and add-on radiator because they require aftermarket headers and I don't have the coin to squeeze almost $2,000 on new exhaust and a new rad for it to possibly not solve the issue at hand. Any advice would help, I have the service manual and am starting a cooling system tear down I guess

Here's the thermostat opened

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad

Last edited by Gearheaded; 10-23-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

Bikes: 07 R1, flash-tune'd
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342881

Was head gasket for him, exhaust gas detector couldn't even find it!

My bet was always on a problem with the pump seals, letting air back into the system when you turn the bike off, causing the coolant to spill into the overflow next time it's up to temperature!

Good luck man, sounds super tricky

-Jamie M.
toysareforboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

I'm talking to a few different people right now and getting ideas from all angles.

This week im gonna yank the water pump and go through it, and probably just rebuild it. It seems super easy according to the service manual. I don't think it's the thermostat, and honestly I don't think it's the water pump, but with 26,000 miles, I'm just gonna rebuild it and go from there.

I'll be sending Yamaha some emails tomorrow to see what the cost is for the rebuild kit, and I'll be sourcing the costs for everything else. If the cost is too high, I might just wait a little while, kill my ridin year a little short, and get some exhaust and an add-on in the spring.

I really wanted to do the suspension this winter, but it looks like I'll be chasing overheating issues instead

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

You could try a high pressure rad cap too, help keep that pressure in the rad instead of spilling into the overflow. Not a complete solution but might just be enough to stop her from spewin

http://www.gravesport.com/Works-Bar-Radiator-Cap.html

-Jamie M.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

I actually have the graves cap and it still has the same problem whether I use the stock cap or the graves 1.8 thanks for the ideas man

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
tbsimmons
I eat my R1

Bikes: 11 R1, 06 R6
Are the caps sealing to the radiator. I have seen them that dont let pressure build and it just boils the fluid out.
tbsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

No, the pressure builds in the radiator actually quite well, Everything seems to be functioning correctly. when I run the bike and then go to take the radiator cap off it has a lot of pressure

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #8
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
No, the pressure builds in the radiator actually quite well, Everything seems to be functioning correctly. when I run the bike and then go to take the radiator cap off it has a lot of pressure
I used to have cooling issues....

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Man I wish I had the resources I really do. My crap pile needs everything upgraded and my current job doesn't allow me to do that.

I'd like to overhaul the suspension, add a race rad, graves low mount, and new brakes/rotors/MC but I'd need about $8000 bones.... And I don't have it haha

So it's one thing at a time until school is done

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
I actually have the graves cap and it still has the same problem whether I use the stock cap or the graves 1.8 thanks for the ideas man
How many hoses physically connect to the overflow bottle/cap? If it's not coming through the actual rad cap it MUST be coming through one of those other hoses? I would trace them, check to them for cracks, damage, leaking, etc. It's gotta be one of those other hoses.

-Jamie M.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
hmmm...I'd switch back to the stock cap and send me the graves one then

Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
How many hoses physically connect to the overflow bottle/cap? If it's not coming through the actual rad cap it MUST be coming through one of those other hoses? I would trace them, check to them for cracks, damage, leaking, etc. It's gotta be one of those other hoses.

-Jamie M.
Only one hose after the cap, it routes straight to the overflow / coolant reservoir, and from the reservoir cap to the tube by the kickstand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by z064life View Post
hmmm...I'd switch back to the stock cap and send me the graves one then
I have this issue with both caps, I'd hate to give you a cap with problems

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
R1Limited's was doing the same as yours ('06), his would overfill the reservoir too while idling. He reflushed the system and used antifreeze,he said it is good now after going through what you have. Hope your'e not using water only, a/f-coolant boils 40 some degrees higher than water alone. Boiling water will build pressure,causing your symptoms. If its not overheating on the street the water pump is good,you probably killed the headgasket with numerous overheatings.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Quote:
Only one hose after the cap, it routes straight to the overflow / coolant reservoir, and from the reservoir cap to the tube by the kickstand.

I have this issue with both caps, I'd hate to give you a cap with problems
it's alright...I'm sure I'll figure it out. What are friends for but to take crap parts off your hands so you don't have to deal with it

Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick kurt View Post
R1Limited's was doing the same as yours ('06), his would overfill the reservoir too while idling. He reflushed the system and used antifreeze,he said it is good now after going through what you have. Hope your'e not using water only, a/f-coolant boils 40 some degrees higher than water alone. Boiling water will build pressure,causing your symptoms. If its not overheating on the street the water pump is good,you probably killed the headgasket with numerous overheatings.
I've been running engine ice also when the bike would reach higher than 240f I always killed it

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #16
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

I'm gonna be tearing into her this weekend, not looking forward to it

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #17
toysareforboys
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWaffle View Post
I'm gonna be tearing into her this weekend, not looking forward to it
Take lots of pics!

You thinking head gasket or pump seals?

-Jamie M.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

I don't think it's the head gasket. The bike doesn't smoke, it's not losing oil or coolant, it's not down on power, there's no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil.

I'm not sure what it is, but it's gonna get a new water pump and thermostat probably

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
marider
Feel the speed attack!

Bikes: Modded R1'09 /ex:R1'07+2xR1'03+R6'03
Samco silicon hoses + Water Wetter are nice too to decrease the temperature.

EU 09 R1:
full Akrapovic Evo2,F-T'd ECU,Bazzaz ZFi-TC+Z-AFM,Marchesinis,Ohlins damper+FPK108+.95 springs,q'Ohlins r.shock,
Brembo RCS/w Hel&Braking SK rotors,Graves block offs,Clutch Kit,Fabbri screen,GYTR:sliders,clutch sliders,gel seat+cowl,Gilles VCR+Variobar,Gregg's Flushmount,-1/+1 sprockets,CustomLED mod. 3/4Dyno:170.1 RWHP,77 Tq.
marider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
greenstreak9205
look for special phrase here

Bikes: That signature bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by marider View Post
Samco silicon hoses + Water Wetter are nice too to decrease the temperature.
Does next to nothing unfortunately. Just costs more money

The Man, The Legend Uncle P

Phantom Squadron CO Check Out Phantom Squadron Here
greenstreak9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement