Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Need Some Well Wishes for A Possible Purchase!

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  SoloStunna99 
#1 · (Edited)
I got an opportunity to pick up an 07 zx6r less than 6000 miles for hopefully $1000 (I know it's not an R1, but it will be a good track witch for me). Been laid down, but for the most part only needs cosmetic repairs. Clear title and all. One helluva deal, so I'm hoping to get everything on my side to make this deal follow through. Heading to get it Thursday. Wish me luck!

See less See more
#4 ·
I know man. The story goes like this... A son wrecked it, and is now off to the marines. The bike is in his mother's name (who is the one selling it). I talked to the mother, she has very limited bike knowledge. She said he laid the bike down and broke the fairings, so he took them all off with the intentions of fixing them, but that never happened. She said she just wants to recoup some of the initial investment. I almost s*** in my pants when I saw this deal. But as I said, HOPEFULLY it follows through. I've learned not to get too excited until the keys and title are in my hand.

#7 ·
I've been in this position before. It was a race ready 06 R6 for $3400. The NIGHT BEFORE I was supposed to travel 3.5 hours to get it, the guy texts me and tells me he decided not to sell it.

On top of that, if she loses her dignity and sells it out from under me between now and Thursday, or something to that matter. So really, anything could happen.

#8 ·
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Of course! (not) But you can certainly tune-in to the build thread that will be started for this if it ends up in my shop. :thumbup

#9 ·
Well guys, I got her today. But I sure had to work for it...

I get there after a 2 hour drive and see it. Very satisfied. Had the tank with just scratches, from what I could see, all ends of the wiring harness intact, had the gauge cluster, etc. Only damage I could really see was the fairings, broken rearset, broken clutch perch and front MC, missing passenger peg, and broken headlights. So I asked "how tight are you on the $1200(what they had it posted for)" The ladys instant response "oh we're asking $1300 for it". So then the son comes out about this time, I didn't even know he was home nor had I ever talked to him. I ask a few questions about the bike then ask him how tight HE is on the $1300. I said would you take $1000? He said $1200, we settled on $1150.

So after EVERYTHING is loaded, title in hand(I told her I would take care of it since it was so late at night, no DMV or notary open), bill of sale also, the mom goes "I just don't know if we can let it go that cheap." My face goes blank. I said, "With all do respect ma'am, we have already made the deal and filled out the paperwork". She said, "I just don't think I can do it. Please take it off the trailer or we'll come up with another price." I looked at the son with a "You GOT to be kidding me look". Well we went round and round for about 20 minutes, then she had some tricker treaters show up. So when she walks away, the son goes "man I'm sorry for all this" hands me $200 back along with the title and says "have a safe trip home" then shakes my hand. Wow, did NOT expect that. So I end up getting everything for $950. What a night...

Here are some quick pics with the plastic thrown on it...

#12 ·
Her words were(amongst that 20 minutes of going round and round) that it hit her when she saw it all loaded up on the trailer and she just couldn't bring herself to let it go. The lady was CRAZYYY, I thought she was going to start crying. Some of them western North Carolina folks... :shake

#14 ·
BS...she just wanted more money..
either way, once the title was signed and in your hand, bike loaded up..the only reason I would talk to her, is to make her feel better or not taken for the lack of words, no way its going back down. I won't drive 4-6 hour round trip for nothing because she is having emotional distress seeing the bike go...
Either way, she all yours now free and clear, enjoy it and Congrats!

#15 ·
Oh and that was by far my mindset. But I'm only 21 and was brought up with a lot of "yes sir no sir" respect, so I just couldn't bring myself to say anything like that to her. Not saying I didn't want to though! :lol

It all worked out though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.