Wheelie : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Wheelie

Guys, I need some help. I've alway had a bike eversince high school. I'm now in my 40's and currently ride a 2008 R1 Raven. One thing I never had the courage to do is a wheelie. I've watched many videos on youtube on how to do a wheelie but, when I try to do on my own, it doesn't work out. Any helpful hints or ideas. No unnecessary bashing please.
cm3fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
Don't do it

You're 40, don't you have kids and shit?

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
IMSTuner
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2008 R1
After I flashed my Ecu with flash tune interface I pull power wheelies all the time under hard acceleration in 1 tru 2nd gear. I love my bike too much to pull full up right wheelies.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2008 R1 Black - Gold AVS C5 Levers, Puig DB Wind Screen, EvoTech Sliders Kit, T-Rex Clutch slider, Stomp Tank Pads, LeoVince Ti Factory Evo II CF end caps, Arko Y-Pipe, EvoTech Fender Elim., Proton Signals, PZRacing GearTronic Zero , Q2 tires, Flash-Tune Interface,Brembo RCS Ohlins FRT fork and TTX shock
My Build Thread http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336353

YouTube Page http://www.youtube.com/user/imstuner?feature=mhee
IMSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
rossm
Honda's Grrrrr

Bikes: '02 Yamaha R1, '98 Kawasaki ZX9R, '06 Gilera Nexus 500, '05 Gilera DNA180, '03 Yamaha TW125
In the same boat, can't wheelie for sh!t, apart from accidental ones
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
R1nStang
Owner of the color changing R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1
clutch it up rather than power wheelies. they are a little safer since you can do them at like 10-15mph versus 80

R1-015 `Ghostrider` Squadron

Yoshi TRC-D slip-ons, Leo Ypipe, PCV, -1/+1 520 conversion, ECUnleashed with Race Idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigO View Post
my anus is just swollen.. Shut it!!!
R1nStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
davidk11r1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1 Flat BLK/BLUE
sit back in the seat and clutch them right up, suggest 2nd gear cause they aren't as touchy
davidk11r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
ThundeR1cat
Wherd the road go

Bikes: R1
Im pretty close to your age and have 3 kids. My stand ups usually last about a mile and im not sure about sittting down wheelies never counted but atleast more than 10 seconds. Dont listen to the young guys theyre still trying to find their thingy or playing with it to make sure it works when the moment CUMS LMFAO. u can do it safely with some patience and some balls . a 520 kit conversion helps also. lose a little top end speed with it but how often do you go 190 mph? lol

start small 2nd gear mid rpms close the throttle and crack it open halfway and at the same time lean you chest back, cover the back brake (very important) if it jumps too high use the rear brake if its too low give more power. if it doesnt come up at all your not giving enough throttle and not leaning back enough. clutching up is really easy but remember to cover the back brakes. go find a desserted street and go with someone while you practice so they can pick your arse up if you wipe out. good luck start small and youll be fine.
ThundeR1cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
iceman4357
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R1
hmm...to me if you have been riding for 20+ years without doing wheelies why now? If you want to do a sit down wheelie, you can simply leave it in 1st gear and around 9-10k RPMs crack it open. If you want to do a stand up wheelie, start in 2nd gear bounce the suspension down, crack the throttle and lean back slightly.

A&R baffles
Akra Ypipe
BMC Race Filter
AK-20 Fork kit
Penske Double click
AIS blocked
PC3
Flash-Tune
Sintered Pads
more I cant remember
iceman4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Don't do it

You're 40, don't you have kids and shit?
LOL...that's why I never started. I do enjoy track days and canyon runs. But, if I was really concern for my kids you could also say I shouldn't be riding a motorcycle. I do love my kids and I try to be safe.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman4357 View Post
hmm...to me if you have been riding for 20+ years without doing wheelies why now? If you want to do a sit down wheelie, you can simply leave it in 1st gear and around 9-10k RPMs crack it open. If you want to do a stand up wheelie, start in 2nd gear bounce the suspension down, crack the throttle and lean back slightly.
I love riding and with a family I want to be safe always. Everyone thinks because you ride these bikes, they think you can do wheelies. I guess it's part of progression owning a liter bike.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
iceman4357
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2007 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3fly View Post
I love riding and with a family I want to be safe always. Everyone thinks because you ride these bikes, they think you can do wheelies. I guess it's part of progression owning a liter bike.
I would say its part of owning a bike period. I was actually MUCH better at doing wheelies on my 03 R6 than my 07 R1. Everyone wanted to see a wheelie, so I would pull my pants down to show my ass and do a wheelie past them.

A&R baffles
Akra Ypipe
BMC Race Filter
AK-20 Fork kit
Penske Double click
AIS blocked
PC3
Flash-Tune
Sintered Pads
more I cant remember
iceman4357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundeR1cat View Post
Im pretty close to your age and have 3 kids. My stand ups usually last about a mile and im not sure about sittting down wheelies never counted but atleast more than 10 seconds. Dont listen to the young guys theyre still trying to find their thingy or playing with it to make sure it works when the moment CUMS LMFAO. u can do it safely with some patience and some balls . a 520 kit conversion helps also. lose a little top end speed with it but how often do you go 190 mph? lol

start small 2nd gear mid rpms close the throttle and crack it open halfway and at the same time lean you chest back, cover the back brake (very important) if it jumps too high use the rear brake if its too low give more power. if it doesnt come up at all your not giving enough throttle and not leaning back enough. clutching up is really easy but remember to cover the back brakes. go find a desserted street and go with someone while you practice so they can pick your arse up if you wipe out. good luck start small and youll be fine.
Thanks for the helpful info ThundeR1cat, I'm not into hurting myself or anyone else. More practice I guess.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman4357 View Post
I would say its part of owning a bike period. I was actually MUCH better at doing wheelies on my 03 R6 than my 07 R1. Everyone wanted to see a wheelie, so I would pull my pants down to show my ass and do a wheelie past them.
Nice...I'm not too concern what anyone thinks, it's just a personal thing. I find myself reving the hell out of bike and not doing anything.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
MANOWAR
I ****ed the girl in Hanson

Bikes: 2004 R1 Silver #1673 (fastest color)

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
MANOWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWAR View Post
Thanks, this was one of the many videos I watched....everyone seems to make it look so effortless on video.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
repoman
Tested +; Motorcycle Fever

Bikes: y2k R1, 2006 KTM SMC, 2006 CRF 250x
There is something else you can do... change the gearing. By changing your sprockets you can get the bike to wheelie with a very gentle roll-on of the throttle.... no POWER wheelies, or clutching it up, or bouncing the front end. IMHO, this would be the safest way to go for someone who is uncomfortable with other methods, as long as you train yourself to keep the rear brake covered at all times with your right foot. Practice hitting the brake while the front wheel is just coming off the ground so you know what if feels like. If you ever ham fist the throttle and the bike goes 12 o'clock high and wants to loop, just tap the rear brake and it will come back down. Guys who loop their bikes aren't covering the rear brake.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
In the same boat, can't wheelie for sh!t, apart from accidental ones
i grew up on a trial bike.. wheelies were a lot of fun back then... a good block-long brap brap brap... miss it like you wouldnt believe...

mind you, I was 10 back then... i did clutch up my old R6 a couple of times, and had some fun with accidental ones...

but its a whole other monkey OP... aint easy mang.. that bitch'll bite yah, and it'll bite you hard... specially considering the R1s peaky rpm behavior...

i've seen it a couple of times over the years... both very experienced riders....

one tossed down a cartwheeling 600cc about a good ten car lengths down the road... thing mustve flipped 6 times... it was a perfect stand up wheelie.. rider rode over a bit of a dip on the road... couldn't stick the front wheel landing... off into the ditch he went.!!

the other looped it shifting into third with the front at 9 or 10 oclock... whoopS!//.. got a little cocky aguess...

thankfully both walked away... both swore that was the last time, and promptly called the wife!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3fly View Post
. I find myself reving the hell out of bike and not doing anything.
read response above... thats exactly what will bite yah... when you least expect it.. it'll pop up... and overhead mate! good luck

i hate to say it but some things are for the young and foolish...

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-01-2012 at 02:36 AM.
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #18
SPanega SS
WOG

Bikes: Less than I want
What does a 520 conversion have to do with top speed???

Sig courtesy of my brotha from down unda PetrolSpice
SPanega SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #19
cm3fly
ZEROTOHUNDRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
i grew up on a trial bike.. wheelies were a lot of fun back then... a good block-long brap brap brap... miss it like you wouldnt believe...

mind you, I was 10 back then... i did clutch up my old R6 a couple of times, and had some fun with accidental ones...

but its a whole other monkey OP... aint easy mang.. that bitch'll bite yah, and it'll bite you hard... specially considering the R1s peaky rpm behavior...

i've seen it a couple of times over the years... both very experienced riders....

one tossed down a cartwheeling 600cc about a good ten car lengths down the road... thing mustve flipped 6 times... it was a perfect stand up wheelie.. rider rode over a bit of a dip on the road... couldn't stick the front wheel landing... off into the ditch he went.!!

the other looped it shifting into third with the front at 9 or 10 oclock... whoopS!//.. got a little cocky aguess...

thankfully both walked away... both swore that was the last time, and promptly called the wife!..

read response above... thats exactly what will bite yah... when you least expect it.. it'll pop up... and overhead mate! good luck

i hate to say it but some things are for the young and foolish...
I agree, riding one of these is dangerous enough. Even in my younger days, I was never into stunting and wheelies. I have to admit, when I got my motorcycle license, I was so excited. I'm from Cambodia and living in Utah with all the beautiful canyon roads, I had to have a bike. I grew up watching Scott Russel, Kevin Swantz, and Miguel Duhamel. Everyone I know says it's dangerous to ride one of these bikes. I love the freedom and the excitement I get when you're riding. I don't need to explain it to anyone here. I do have to admit when I see someone pulling a wheelie, It pretty amazing. I will take it slow and practice. It's not that big of a deal to me. Just want to see it I can do it. Thanks to everyone for the great advise.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
z064life
R1 Forum Star

Bikes: 2010 R1, 2009 Roadstar Silverado, 2005 GS500F (wife's SOLD), PW50 (with training wheels), 2008 R6 (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundeR1cat View Post

520 kit has nothing to do with wheelies, acceleration, top speed, etc. It is simply the width of chain. Even the pitch is the same from 530-520.

I think what you are suggesting is he drop a tooth in front and/or add some in the rear which will change the gear ratio which WILL impact acceleration (increase) and top speed (decrease) allowing for easier wheelies.

Phantom Squadron XO - http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
z064life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement