Proper temps for best performance : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
ERnurse
Banned

Bikes: 2010 R1 Raven
Proper temps for best performance

I was just reading an interesting thread on coolants on another forum. Someone there was saying that if engine temps fall below 180F for prolonged periods your cylinder walls wear faster, oil sludges, and increase fuel consumption. I hope thats BS because my 2010 routinely runs around 160-170 in the spring/fall. I thought the whole idea was to stay as cool as possible.
ERnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Meister37
The Lead Farmer

Bikes: 94 VMax, CRF80F, CRF70F, Cannondale F7, your mom.
It's bs, You can change oil to suit the temp, fuel consumption should be better due to the air being more dense and the cylinder walls? I have no idea WTH the guy is thinking.
Meister37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
tnole23
go go juice gonna make me win

Bikes: 2008 R1 Raven
i'd say it's bs. cooler air is better, not necessarily a cooler engine. he may be thinking that cooler metal contracts and will contract on the rings and thus wear faster. not sure about that. i'd be more concerned with integrity of cylinders when cold more so than wearing on walls. colder metal is more brittle, which is def bad. being warm at operating temp, whatever that is, is fine. can't imagine it getting too cold unless u running co2 as the coolant or something. i wouldn't worry about it. it's the air intake temp, not coolant temp, that gives u the power.
FlashTune w/dyno fuel map|RaceTech Suspension|Termignoni CF Slipons|Attack Performance Rearsets|Brembo 19 RCS MC|Renthal Clipons|Dano QS|Akrapovic Y-Pipe|520 (-1/+1)|Hyperpro Damper|BlasterX|MRA Racing DB|Gilles Chain Adjuster| MotionPro Throttle|BMC Air Filter|Graves Smog Plates|GYTR Comfort Seat|Targa Solo Cowl|Tec-Spec Traction Pads|Pazzo Shorties|GB Racing Covers|Spiegler SS Brake Lines|HIDs|Flushmounts|Gear Indicator|Sharkskinz Track Bodywork
tnole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
greenc51
I eat my Night Rod

Bikes: 05 Ninja 500 SOLD - 04 CBRF4i SOLD - 07 R6 SOLD - 04 Vulcan 800 bobber SOLD - 06 R1 SOLD - 2009 Night Rod Special =)
he may be thinking in terms of cars. car engines increase fuel consumption in order to reach operating temperature. so if the engine temp is lower, it will constantly try to inject more fuel in order to help heat up the engine to a more nominal operating temp
greenc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
TwistedSprocket
I get food for your bike.

Bikes: 09 R1
I'm calling BS. Just because your coolant is a little cooler because of the cold air docent mean that the temp of your pistons and cylinder walls Is much lower if any. Just running a little cool is no big deal. If your cars thermostat is stuck open during winter that's another issue.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
greenc51
I eat my Night Rod

Bikes: 05 Ninja 500 SOLD - 04 CBRF4i SOLD - 07 R6 SOLD - 04 Vulcan 800 bobber SOLD - 06 R1 SOLD - 2009 Night Rod Special =)
well we get the engine temp from the coolant dont we?
greenc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
TwistedSprocket
I get food for your bike.

Bikes: 09 R1
Yup
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Gdiddy88
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2006 R1 Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
he may be thinking in terms of cars. car engines increase fuel consumption in order to reach operating temperature. so if the engine temp is lower, it will constantly try to inject more fuel in order to help heat up the engine to a more nominal operating temp
Fuel injected engines do not add more or reduce the fuel injected to regulate temperatures. The amount if fuel injected is calculated by the amount of air going into the engine. If the air is cold it is more dense and there will be more fuel injected to make the most efficient combustion. If the air/fuel ratio is rich, that will cool the operating temp of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Gdiddy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Rex1585
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bikes: 2000 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy88 View Post
Fuel injected engines do not add more or reduce the fuel injected to regulate temperatures. The amount if fuel injected is calculated by the amount of air going into the engine. If the air is cold it is more dense and there will be more fuel injected to make the most efficient combustion. If the air/fuel ratio is rich, that will cool the operating temp of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
While this is partly correct, if an engine never gets out of its ASE (after start enrichment) cycle, it WILL consume more fuel, which increases hydrocarbons, increased exhaust gas emissions, increased wear on the cylinder walls and the piston rings/pistons. As when engines are cold the require more fuel to get up to temperature as the metal surrounding the fuel/air mixture isn't able to help with the atomization of the fuel (cold causes condensation), which directly affects how efficient the catalization of the fuel/air mixture. More dense air will require more fuel yes. The incomplete burning of the mixture will create an increase in emissions.

Poor cold starting issues are usually r/t to lean a/f ratios. Supporting evidence is the Megasquirt Manual.

If the engine is not at temperature, then the clearances that the engine has been designed to run at may or may not be reached. If the clearances in the Piston rings aren't met, they may or may not create a floating and bending effect which will increase wear on the edges of the piston rings and cylinder walls. If the piston rings cannot seal, unburned air/fuel mixture as well exhaust gases will be allowed to sneak past the piston rings into the crankcase and mix with oil more easily.

TLDR;

Cold temps cause wear and tear that an engine at temp would not.
Rex1585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement