Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Should I buy an 07 if the ecu still lags

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Should I buy an 07 if the ecu has not been replaced. Can I still get it replaced for free?

#2 ·
Or you could flash it, it will update the software in the ECU to the 08.....along with all the other benefits to the flash...

#3 ·
yup... ecuNleash that mofo!..

#6 ·
:no, there was some kind of bug in the ETV map part of the ECU in a certain number of 07 ECUs. They replaced or reflashed them to fix this issue....

#7 ·
ah man :/, well I have yet to try the 5500rpm/full throttle but I've never noticed any lag so far in the bike. hopefully it will stay that way.

OP, buy it ! you will not regret it, its ( imo ) the best looking year model and a helluva good ride :) like any bike its not perfect but you will not be disappointed :)

#8 ·
You may have gotten an 07 with a fixed ECU, I think it was an issue with the early 07's....

#11 ·
I bought the bike and it does have the 5500 rpm 2nd gear lag. Will yamaha still grant swapping out the ecu if I talk to the dealer. The dealer I talked to said they remember this issue from before.

In regards to the claim of the early years with the bad valves, 02/07. I beleive mine is in this range also. How creadible is this claim? Was there a bad batch of these bikes early in production?

#13 ·
no. yamaha really cheaped out and offered a limited replacement, like a year or something. they never declared a recall, which was the loophole.

if reflashing fixes it, then def do that. pc won't help. reflashing is good stuff anyway.

don't know any issues with valves. if you're talking about the tick, it's normal.

#12 ·
grats on the bike ! not a bad bike batch but a bad valve batch from what I could read on the net. Im having mine changed in the spring regardless what they look like once I open it up. When you go to the dealer for your ecu ask them if they will check the valves for you, if not there are plenty of how too's here for you to do it at home.

#14 ·
Actually yes you can still get it replaced. You just need to go to a Yamaha dealer mention the technical bulletin, have them get on the phone with yamaha, and they will swap it. I got mine replaced a few months ago. I bought an 07 R1 w/ 6400 miles on it and found that it experienced the issue, and went the route I stated. There is a thread on here somewhere too, just search for it. Has the technical bulletin and all. With some tips from others if you get a dealer who is slightly retarded and needs some pushing in the right direction.

#15 · (Edited)
awesome, that's good. i know the thread you're referring to, and there is where it said they didn't. which is y i ended up with an 08 and not an 07. if u can find a dealer to hook u up then that's awesome. since he already has the bike it's worth a shot, for sure. or if they changed it from when it was, well, then obviously.

#17 ·
In regards to the number four intake valve seeming to be the one of most popular failure, I can only hear mostly a ticking noise on the clutch side of the bike rather than on the throttle side when listening to the head. Is this normal?

Also, when I jump on the gas in low rpms the bike sounds like it has a weird vibration and noise or something. This happens in situations when rpm is below 4k.

Could this be due to my chain being too tight? because it is and I havent gotten around to loosening it yet. Or the clutch, at a low rpm like this?

Thank You

#18 ·
Also, when I jump on the gas in low rpms the bike sounds like it has a weird vibration and noise or something. This happens in situations when rpm is below 4k.

Could this be due to my chain being too tight? because it is and I havent gotten around to loosening it yet. Or the clutch, at a low rpm like this?

Thank You
That is the get your ass above 4k sound. I've had two 07/08 R1's and they both do that. Just the engine struggling with the amount of throttle you are giving her at such a low RPM. Not built for that!

#24 ·
What is the Mobil 1 part number for the 07 oil filter? Is it m1-110?

In regards to searching threads for the yamatick, I know what the yamatick is. I'm asking this because it has been said that it is the #4 cylinder intake valves that seem to have the problem. That's why I'm asking if people with 07's just have a tick on the clutch side of the bike like mine does. Meaning that it could be the dreaded #4 bad valve actually making that noise. If the clutch side is #4 or #1the I can't remember?

#26 · (Edited)
weather or not it was a recall.. it falls under the 'unsafe for normal street use' {parphrasing} banner and as such Yamaha will replace-reflash any '07 ECU with this issue.. but as has been mentioned.. a reflash update to '08 should do the trick nicely...

i've ran WIX, currently sticking with HIFLOFILTRO myself.. very affordable as you can purchase in packs of three on ebay @ $21...
currently at 13k kms running AMSOIL 10w40 Advanced synthetic since ~800miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.