Flash Tuning For Complete Dummies.. : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Appearance & Mods Looks is important. Ask here for help on, flushmounts, undertails, bodywork, exhaust models etc

Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Bikes: R1
Flash Tuning For Complete Dummies..

Ok boy's im hoping that some of you guy's with a little patients and knowledge can help educate a 41 year old dummy like me. Being a bit of an old twat means turning my computer on is an achievement, when buying anything electrical and new means i have to get the kids to work it and program it.....

So i would be very grateful if we could start right from the beginning and work through all the available options and what does what.....

I have been reading via the search function but to be honest most of it might as well be in Chinese...

So first things first.

I know what an ECU is, its like the bikes brain instructing it to perform almost all its tasks. I know that we can program the ECU which in turn would change the settings to our preferences but thats where my knowledge ends...

I keep hearing the word "Interface" whats one of these??

What with this "trickle charging" ??

What needs charging???

Lets say i want to have my ECU flashed, what equipment do i need if im going to do it myself??

Can this be done on my own computer??

Any Brits here know where i can take my bike to have it flashed professionally??

These are the first round of questions i have, im sorry if they seem a little simple but please help where you can...

Thanks....
Mad Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
GAZMTK
all im hearing is LETS GO!

Bikes: 2006 R1 Raven, 2005 R1, 2004 R1 with 2007 running gear, 2x 2007 R1's
hey Matt, the interface is bought from Flashtune, http://www.flash-tune.com/ , but I had no luck with it and then got no support from flashtune, so I can't really say buy it now.
It is for 07+ R1's only though.
Trickle charging is so you don't drain the battery to a point the interface fails and possibly corrupts the ECU, a simple car charger works fine.
What equipment do you need? the tools to get to your ECU, the ECU interface, laptop and a battery charger or 12v power source.
Yes you can use your own computer, it has its own specific software.

I hope this helps mate
GAZMTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Hardcore Dave
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1, Black and Gold - The only colour.
Hey Matt,

I have all the equipment needed, I'm based in Surrey, if you can get to me I will gladly Flash your bike for me if its a 09-11 model!

Representing London Town...
2011 R1 Raven - Carbon Akrapovic slipons, M4 Decat, K&N Filter, Flash-Tuned ECU, Tail tidy, decent indicators, debadged, shorty levers, bling mirrors.
Hardcore Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZMTK View Post
hey Matt, the interface is bought from Flashtune, http://www.flash-tune.com/ , but I had no luck with it and then got no support from flashtune, so I can't really say buy it now.
It is for 07+ R1's only though.
Trickle charging is so you don't drain the battery to a point the interface fails and possibly corrupts the ECU, a simple car charger works fine.
What equipment do you need? the tools to get to your ECU, the ECU interface, laptop and a battery charger or 12v power source.
Yes you can use your own computer, it has its own specific software.

I hope this helps mate
Thanks for your reply mate however it doesn't really answer my questions, you have told me where to get an interface from but not what an interface does??

Am i understanding that your saying the charger charges the interface? If so then i really do need to know what the interface is and what it does??
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Dave View Post
Hey Matt,

I have all the equipment needed, I'm based in Surrey, if you can get to me I will gladly Flash your bike for me if its a 09-11 model!
Thanks for the offer mate, although i think Steve also has the equipment and says he will help out...

Im more interested on how it all works at this time, i need to nail down whats what before i start making mods...

Cheers
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Hardcore Dave
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1, Black and Gold - The only colour.
OK, think of the interface as just a cable that allows you to plug your computer into your ECU. The interface needs a power supply (I use a spare battery)
You basically buy the interface from flash tune, they give you the software, then you can go about making all the changes you need.

Representing London Town...
2011 R1 Raven - Carbon Akrapovic slipons, M4 Decat, K&N Filter, Flash-Tuned ECU, Tail tidy, decent indicators, debadged, shorty levers, bling mirrors.
Hardcore Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Dave View Post
OK, think of the interface as just a cable that allows you to plug your computer into your ECU. The interface needs a power supply (I use a spare battery)
You basically buy the interface from flash tune, they give you the software, then you can go about making all the changes you need.
Cheers Dave, so this is where it gets confusing for me, the interface is a lead, got that, i plug the interface into the ecu and my computer and also a power source..

Do you have a picture of an interface, that my help...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Tad158
Astronomer not Astrologer

Bikes: 09 R1, 78 CB750K8
http://www.flash-tune.com/?wpsc-prod...ning-interface

There is also an FAQ thread in my signature...
2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Reservoir Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS Front/Rear Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Spider Peak Grips, Zero Gravity Light Smoke Double Bubble Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance and Hines CS One cans, Shogun No-Cut Sliders, F-T custom image with Bazzaz QS sensor, Ferodo ST HH Front Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs, F1Composites track bodywork.
Build Thread

Flash-Tune FAQ Thread
Tad158 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad158 View Post
http://www.flash-tune.com/?wpsc-prod...ning-interface

There is also an FAQ thread in my signature...
Thats fantastic Tad, now im starting to understand this more....
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Btw Tad i have spent sometime reading your thread about Flash tuning which has been very helpful but its the very basics i was having a hard time with...

So this is where im up to:

The ecu is the bikes programable brain.
The interface is a lead needed to convert information from the ecu to your computer and the other way round.

Do i also need a special computer program for my computer??
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Also what does YCC stand for??
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
I keep hearing the word "Interface" what’s one of these??....That’s sat by my computer 20 minutes away from your house.

What with this "trickle charging" ?? I don’t use one of these I plug a converter into my wall

What needs charging??? ….Nothing maybe your phone??

Let’s say i want to have my ECU flashed, what equipment do i need if I’m going to do it myself?? ….that’s back to your first point!

Can this be done on my own computer??.....yes if you buy an interface!

Any Brits here know where i can take my bike to have it flashed professionally??....i am always professional, never curse or swear when flashing….other than that I couldn’t find one!

These are the first round of questions i have, I’m sorry if they seem a little simple but please help where you can...Please keep them coming cause I can’t wait for some of the answers lol

I am hoping n4speed has some good testing of his new map this weekend and shares it with us…Great Guy thanks n4speed for awesome work!!
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupraR1 View Post
I keep hearing the word "Interface" what’s one of these??....That’s sat by my computer 20 minutes away from your house.

What with this "trickle charging" ?? I don’t use one of these I plug a converter into my wall

What needs charging??? ….Nothing maybe your phone??

Let’s say i want to have my ECU flashed, what equipment do i need if I’m going to do it myself?? ….that’s back to your first point!

Can this be done on my own computer??.....yes if you buy an interface!

Any Brits here know where i can take my bike to have it flashed professionally??....i am always professional, never curse or swear when flashing….other than that I couldn’t find one!

These are the first round of questions i have, I’m sorry if they seem a little simple but please help where you can...Please keep them coming cause I can’t wait for some of the answers lol

I am hoping n4speed has some good testing of his new map this weekend and shares it with us…Great Guy thanks n4speed for awesome work!!
Lmfao, Steve my man, i just need to drop in for a brew and all these questions will be answered...

Did you do n4speeds flash tune mate??

Ok so in about 8 weeks in going to change exhausts, tail tidy, send the bike to Dream Machine for new colours, (swan yellow), then off to Steve's for flash tuning....

Im a little uncertain though about having the immobiliser disconnected so need to give that some thought.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
I just need to drop in for a brew and all these questions will be answered...Kettle is on…yanks will be Googling kettle lol

Did you do n4speeds flash tune mate??..Running it now and at one point thought I hit warp speed!

Ok so in about 8 weeks in going to change exhausts, tail tidy, send the bike to Dream Machine for new colours, (swan yellow), then off to Steve's for flash tuning....Ready and waiting…..bit busy at the moment ripping mine to bits and putting goodies on but will break off for a bit lol

Im a little uncertain though about having the immobiliser disconnected so need to give that some thought..... I get that after what just happened but as far as I know there is no way round it?
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
bacchus40
kickin' at the darkness

Bikes: 2005 RAVEN R6, sold; PEARL WHITE 2009 YZF R1 ~ rip, CADMIUM YELLOW 2009 YZF-R1!
afaik, Ecunleashed allows you to maintain your immobiliser function.. uS canucks have the same one and Nels recently confirmed there should be no issue with this..

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, Leo Vince EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS, GYTR, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc, HINSON bskt, EBC SRK, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech chain adjust, ANNITORI RL
CLEVER WOLF CF, RIZOMA grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows, GYTR seat, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK, CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18,
bacchus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Italgeorge
2009 R1

Bikes: 2009 Yamaha R1 Raven
Anyone in Texas that can flash tune mine!?!? Sorry if this is thread jack! Just wondering lol

Yoshi R77 CF Dual cans w/y-pipe
PowerCommander V
AutoTune
Graves Block Offs
Watsen Flushmounts
luck
Italgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Mad Matt
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
afaik, Ecunleashed allows you to maintain your immobiliser function.. uS canucks have the same one and Nels recently confirmed there should be no issue with this..
Would love to hear more about this mate??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement