Track Bike Help! : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Trackdays / Schools A place to improve your skills and discuss trackday and riding school events.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

Bikes: FighteR1
Track Bike Help!

Ok guys, as some may remember I got hit by a car last year on my 05. Kept the bike for track use and picked up another as a street bike w insurance money. Anyway, it's been sitting in the garage since then and I've been working on it bit by bit. Well I finally got around to putting a new 520 kit on it today so I wanted to make sure everything was turning well. I fired it up and tried to put it in first and it shut off. The kick stand switch has been removed alone w a bunch of other wiring. When the bike is off and the clutch is pulled in, the back wheel will turn if I really try to make it. It gets easier with each gear change. Could the clutch be locked up from sitting for too long? How do I fix this issue? The bike did fall on its right side taking a chip out of the clutch cover where the cable attaches but everything seems to function as it should. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
"Fat arms are NOT huge biceps, they're fat arms. Cover up"
diazarusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Blue Streak
I've fallen and I can't get up

Bikes: 2000 Yamaha R1
Your clutch is probably fine. I am guessing you have your bike on its rear stand and are trying to spin it i 1st gear by hand with clutch in? It probably feels like the clutch is not even pulled in and your bike is still in gear? thats normal IMO

I am guessing the bike shut off when you kicked it into gear because of an electronics issue. Are you sure you have wired it properly w/o kickstand?
Blue Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

What else do I need to do as far as wiring with the kickstand. I was under the impression that simply unplugging the kickstand switch would be ok.

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

Anyone else have any suggestions?

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
The switch completes the circuit when stand is up, you will need to put a jumper wire in connecting the harness plug ends. Or directly attach both wires together(solder) by removing plug end and connectig the two wires. Haven't done this to an R1 ,but most likely it is your problem,easiest test is put in gear with clutch in and try to start,if starter doesn't engage the kick stand switch (lack of) is the problem. Or just try a jumper wire to fully nail down the problem quickly and easily.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
quick kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Bikes: 2009 Raven R1(gone) 2008 Spicy Mustard r6
I'd leave the KS off and just leave the switch on the bike

Check your clutch cable adjustment, make sure it's not slightly engaged

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

That should be easy enough to try. Any idea why the wheel is so hard to turn when the clutch is pulled in while in gear?(bike off)

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

The clutch cable is tight and the lever feels normal.

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

Is that with hot fluid or cold? Maybe it's the clutch adjustment the other way.

Also check to see if the small cover that protects the shift cable to make sure it's allowing full travel, and pressure plate removal. Maybe it won't let you disengage the clutch all the way

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Bikes: 2000 R1 SOLD & 2006 R1 50th Anniversary & 2012 R1 50th G.P. Anniversary#145
Quote:
Originally Posted by diazarusmc View Post
That should be easy enough to try. Any idea why the wheel is so hard to turn when the clutch is pulled in while in gear?(bike off)
Thats how they are,not a problem at all. One small wire and you'll know for sure,just use any wire to test it,doesn't have to be permanent to test it quick. A paperclip would even work to test. Go do it.
'06 50th GYT-R CarbonSlipons,Akra Y Graves stacks,blockoffs,covers BMCair Bazzaz Zafm Zfi mapsw Vortex w/520ERV3 Shogun sliders Vortex rearsets Renthal med.comp Ballistic12cell Stompgrip CRG levers Galfer SBK fr&rr rotors ProboltTi'12 50th WGP#145. Graves full Ti carbon ex,stacks,blockoffs BMCair Yosh case,oilfill,yokenut,axleblocks Renthal w/520ERV3 CRG RC2's Watsen's Shogun framesliders Renthal med.comp Ballistic8cell ProboltTi Lucky 13th R1-013Squadron Member
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

That small cover is actually not there anymore. I'll check the tech manual for intructions on cable adjustment at the cover. The weird thing is that the bike rolled fine in gear with the clutch pulled in before I went on deployment in February.

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

First gear with the bike off is difficult to do with the clutch pulled. Sounds like regualr engine/clutch drag like others have said.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
quick kurt
I RACE U LOSE

Plates do get "glued" together from the oil when sitting, I would put in gear before starting, to avoid the "bang" when putting into gear from the clutch not being completely disengaged.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Blue Streak

Quote:
That small cover is actually not there anymore. I'll check the tech manual for intructions on cable adjustment at the cover. The weird thing is that the bike rolled fine in gear with the clutch pulled in before I went on deployment in February.
Like I asked before ... are you trying to roll it by pushing the bike with clutch in of by trying to hand roll it with bike on stand. If you cant push the bike with the clutch pulled in I would say that is odd unless you are very weak . It still will be stiffer feeling than in neutral either way.

As for wiring - do you no longer have parts of your harness? If stuff has been pulled off vs. disconnected I would recommend following a wiring schematic. If all is there - as already mentioned - just simulate the connection as if kickstand were always up...
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

Ok. So I jumped the kick stand switch wires and that did the trick to keep the bike running. Now with the clutch pulled in that back wheel gets spinning and only the rear brake will stop it. I'm gonna have to check the cable adjustment at the clutch cover. Next question-radiator fans. Keep them off or put them on?

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #16
Gearheaded
Venom X/O

The back wheel will spin if the bike is cold. Cold oil allows enough friction to get the wheel moving. If you can't stop it with your hand and the bike is up to temperature, than its an issue. It shouldn't spin fast, but you should be able to easily stop it with your hand

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squad
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
KMac
Moderatorasfcvk

Bikes: 1980 Huffy Santa Fe
Quote:
Ok. So I jumped the kick stand switch wires and that did the trick to keep the bike running. Now with the clutch pulled in that back wheel gets spinning and only the rear brake will stop it. I'm gonna have to check the cable adjustment at the clutch cover. Next question-radiator fans. Keep them off or put them on?
That may be normal. I know that when the bike is in neutral and the bike is on the stand it will spin.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
diazarusmc
DILLIGAF

I left it running for a while and then tried it again and I couldn't stop the wheel with my foot. It stopped w the brake and when the brake was released it wouldn't start spinning again. Any idea why I can't start it in gear w the clutch pulled in and the kickstand switch wired to itself?

R1-016 'Venom' Squadron
Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #19
Blue Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
The back wheel will spin if the bike is cold. Cold oil allows enough friction to get the wheel moving. If you can't stop it with your hand and the bike is up to temperature, than its an issue. It shouldn't spin fast, but you should be able to easily stop it with your hand
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Blue Streak

Quote:
I left it running for a while and then tried it again and I couldn't stop the wheel with my foot. It stopped w the brake and when the brake was released it wouldn't start spinning again. Any idea why I can't start it in gear w the clutch pulled in and the kickstand switch wired to itself?
how fast is it spinning? Take the bike of the stand and if it runs away on you in neutral than you have a problem

I am guessing your clutch might not be fully engaging and maybe that is why you cannot stary it in gear with the clutch pulled in... hard to tell though since you have palyed with the wiring too.

Can you clutch in with the bike running and change gears nornmallY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement