Smog block offs : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
owensjeremias
My R1 eats me.

Smog block offs

quick question, i got my 06 R1 used. and it has the cat gutted, power commander 3. i am going to get the A&R baffle kit then install the A&R map into my power commander, i just want to know if there was a quick way to tell if the previous owner had put block off plates on or not? or do i need to go through the whole installation procedre (pulling side fairings off etc) to see the plates to be able to tell? or if there is a quick way to tell using a mirror or somehthing? any info would be greatly appreciated.
owensjeremias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
CupraR1
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2011 R1
You can pull the fairings off and that will tell you diddly squat! Have you searched smog plates on here, all the info is in them. Does it pop and bang on deceleration….if yes you have no plates on.
CupraR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
RC-DEVIL
I eat my R1

Bikes: 06 R1, 01 RC51, 75 CB550f Cafe
if ur sitting on the bike on the right side...get on ur knees and look through the mid fairing for a plate on top of the valve cover, its will look kind of out of place......if it hasnt been removed there will be a plate with a hose coming out of it
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
owensjeremias
My R1 eats me.

ok cool thanks guys. no popping. will it pop with stock mufflers and no cat with pw3? i have not done the baffle kit yet, i will do that tomorrow im just trying to find a way to tell in the meantime so i can pick some up if i need to so i can do them at the same time i do the baffle kit if i need to. i think he might of already done it since he gutted the cat and put the power commander with stock exhaust but not sure, ill look when i get home. thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
jelizondo_20
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2010 Yamaha R1
I ordered my baffle kit also, if you get yours before me, let me know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
jelizondo_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
owensjeremias
My R1 eats me.

ill let you know how it goes, it it supposed to be here tomorrow, i got exhaust off already but with my busy schedule i wont be able to do them until friday after work. i checked to see if the previous owner did the block offs, he did not. (thanks rc-devil for the tip, was real easy to tell weather it was done already or not.

anyone know of a link to see instructions to install them on a 04-06 r1? im going to order them which will likely come with instructions but i like to see what im gettin my self into ahead of time. in google i found a video but it goes by really fast and has no explanation as to what they are doing and why, like what they are unplugging etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
owensjeremias
My R1 eats me.

installed the kit, love it, looks and sounds great, now just need to install the bloack off plates and install the right map and ill be good. just a heads up if the old baffles dont come out or are hard to get out just all the welds one might not be broke all the way.

i didnt get old baffle out with hammer, i made a hole in the tip put a bolt through it with chain in the middle and used a slide hammer to pull it out. i got the idea of a slide hammer from someone else on one of the threads who said thats what they used.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
jelizondo_20
I eat my R1

Bikes: 2010 Yamaha R1
Alright thanks for the heads up. I just need to get a hold of a dremmel of some type. I plan to take the exhaust off today to get it ready

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
jelizondo_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement