Any iMac G6 gurus out there? : Yamaha R1 Forum
» Insurance
» Yamaha R1 Prices
» Sponsors

The Computer Guru Section Post all your computer related issues, FAQ's, How To's in here.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
RedDevil154
R1 pilot

Bikes: 08 Candy Red R1
Any iMac G6 gurus out there?

Have an issue with my mac. Locked up one day so I killed it with the power button and let it set over night. Next morning, wont reboot. Only has a flashing file with a questionmark. Tried every trick I could find on google to get it to boot. Wouldn't do anything. I unplugged everything and let it set over night and the next day I plugged in just power and it booted but wasn't healthy acting. I went to the apple in the top left and when I clicked it, it locked up again and when I tried to restart it the same thing with the the flashing file happened again.

When it booted, it let me in to my pictures and music so what I plan on doing is this. Get an external hard drive and move as much stuff as I can and hope it doesn't take a dirt nap before I can get the info moved if I can even get it to boot again. I have already bought another hard drive with snow leopard on it as well as a bunch of other stuff I didn't have before.

Any chance a mac person could help me? Anybody know how to extract the data if I cant get it to boot?

Thanks!
RedDevil154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
AnonymousR1
Track addict!

Bikes: 09 R1, 03 R1, 04 CRF-50, 06 R6(sold)
Could be damage to the file system, or could be a bad HDD. If you've already bought another HDD to replace the current one, I'd just buy a cheap enclosure for the old drive and try to grab files off it that way.

http://microcenter.com/product/32386...rive_Enclosure

-Sig complements of Buddyluv-
AnonymousR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
RedDevil154
R1 pilot

Bikes: 08 Candy Red R1
I thought the hard drive had to be set up to be used as an external drive? So I can install it in this box plug it in and retrieve data off the drive?

I'm very computer illiterate by the way lol
RedDevil154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
AnonymousR1
Track addict!

Bikes: 09 R1, 03 R1, 04 CRF-50, 06 R6(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil154 View Post
I thought the hard drive had to be set up to be used as an external drive? So I can install it in this box plug it in and retrieve data off the drive?

I'm very computer illiterate by the way lol
Nope -- throw it in the enclosure, hook it up to your USB, and hopefully your drive isn't corrupt.

-Sig complements of Buddyluv-
AnonymousR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Sabian
Booya

Bikes: 1943 Indian Scout 741
A HD is an HD. The way it's acting leads me to beleive you've got a corrupt system - not a physical issue with the drive itself. Regardless, it's hard to tell without seeing the drive.

Pull it, put it in an external enclosure or even just buy a USB to SATA converter and hook it up to another computer. The drive will mount as a secondary on the computer and you can access your files as if it were just another drive...which it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikays View Post
Yeah it was head trauma alright....but it was my little head that was traumatized by your mouth.
Sabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement